No smack talk is allowed here.

Re: If you don't like the sioux....do you have a better suggesti

Postby nativegolfer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:55 am

sportsking09 wrote:
OldSchool wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:
OldSchool wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
OldSchool wrote:I don't think that anyone will ever deny that what has happened to native americans over the years was horrible, but these things happened a hundred years ago. I am just wondering at what point the pity party is going to stop or will this arguement continue from the native american people forever. I believe at some point you have to stand up and make your own breaks.

Try getting way with saying that about Afro-Americans or Jewish Americans! Tell them that they need to get over it and move on. As a matter of fact, neither of these races where put on reservations and givin a snow balls chance to survive.

a matter of fact jews sufferend only what 50 -60 years ago, african americans about 125-150 years ago, native americans about 200-250 years, im not saying it is alright to critisize native americans, but i am just showing you that jews suffering pretty recent, african americans suffering recent but kinda old, native americans are the oldest suffering out of the three mentioned yet native americans complain the most and want the most out of our government because of something that happened 200-250 years ago. im not saying it wasnt wrong of what the government did, but its been a while and i think its about time we start moving along now

200-250 years ago! "Jane you ignorant" Bro, you need to go look at your history books. Oh wait, none of the atrocities committed to NA's are in the history books. I'll give you an example: my grandma used to tell me that when she was growing up the local general store used to sell gallons of whiskey for pennies and jack up the price of milk and flour. This was the governments effort to keep the NA's drunk so they wouldn't cause trouble. I could go on and on but this happened less than a hundred years ago.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby OldSchool » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:56 am

nativegolfer wrote:
sportsking09 wrote:
OldSchool wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:
OldSchool wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
OldSchool wrote:I don't think that anyone will ever deny that what has happened to native americans over the years was horrible, but these things happened a hundred years ago. I am just wondering at what point the pity party is going to stop or will this arguement continue from the native american people forever. I believe at some point you have to stand up and make your own breaks.

Try getting way with saying that about Afro-Americans or Jewish Americans! Tell them that they need to get over it and move on. As a matter of fact, neither of these races where put on reservations and givin a snow balls chance to survive.

a matter of fact jews sufferend only what 50 -60 years ago, african americans about 125-150 years ago, native americans about 200-250 years, im not saying it is alright to critisize native americans, but i am just showing you that jews suffering pretty recent, african americans suffering recent but kinda old, native americans are the oldest suffering out of the three mentioned yet native americans complain the most and want the most out of our government because of something that happened 200-250 years ago. im not saying it wasnt wrong of what the government did, but its been a while and i think its about time we start moving along now

200-250 years ago! "Jane you ignorant sl*$!" Bro, you need to go look at your history books. Oh wait, none of the atrocities committed to NA's are in the history books. I'll give you an example: my grandma used to tell me that when she was growing up the local general store used to sell gallons of whiskey for pennies and jack up the price of milk and flour. This was the governments effort to keep the NA's drunk so they wouldn't cause trouble. I could go on and on but this happened less than a hundred years ago.

Come on now Native Golfer. Really? Maybe, but I have a tough time believing that. I think that drunk people cause more problems then sober people. Maybe I am wrong. Enjoying the debate though.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby nativegolfer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:11 pm

OldSchool wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:
sportsking09 wrote:
OldSchool wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:
OldSchool wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:

200-250 years ago! "Jane you ignorant sl*$!" Bro, you need to go look at your history books. Oh wait, none of the atrocities committed to NA's are in the history books. I'll give you an example: my grandma used to tell me that when she was growing up the local general store used to sell gallons of whiskey for pennies and jack up the price of milk and flour. This was the governments effort to keep the NA's drunk so they wouldn't cause trouble. I could go on and on but this happened less than a hundred years ago.

Come on now Native Golfer. Really? Maybe, but I have a tough time believing that. I think that drunk people cause more problems then sober people. Maybe I am wrong. Enjoying the debate though.

I'm not talking about geting into fist fights. I'm talking about fighting for their rights and speaking out about getting screwed over. Why do you think they sold the booze so cheap then? I'm not going to call my Kunsi a liar.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Number7 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:30 pm

Ok just relax.. nobody attack anybody's mama, or grandmama, or kunsi, or anything. Everyone knows what happened to Jews, African-Americans, and Native Americans was wrong and in the past. Can we not move on and stop living in the past? Move towards a better future when there are far more problems than what happened hundreds of years ago. I know we should learn from the past and I believe our nation has. Or we could get back to the sioux nickname?
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:32 am

Anyway this can be moved into hot topics?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:12 pm

why?
project-pat

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:11 pm

You know what is kinda funny, Still today, Native American's have to have numbers to prove they are Native American, you tell me what other race has to do that! I can tell you what other breed does that, DOGS! They have to be licensed too!

This still goes on today bro! In fact, the most racist place in ND is only 13 miles north of the Spirit Lake Reservation. I have heard from several reliable sources of what business owners have said about NA. They don't want the business of NA in their establishments! I am sure several other tribes can say the same about other local towns near by!

This has some relevants to the sioux name, this is just another way Non-Natives serve up Poop sandwichs and try to force NA to take a bite! Oh but wait, you are honoring us! (sense the sarcasm?) I wonder what would happen if the NAACP got involved with this fight!
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsking09 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:06 am

dude indians alumni, , the topic was obviously just getting back to the actual topic and the fighting had stopped then you decided to start it again by trying to get someone or everyone mad and start another fight, and if you dont think so, i'm pretty sure everyone will back me in saying your last statement had absolutely nothing to do with prefering a new name for the Fighting Sioux, so lets just get back to the actual topic and like i said a while before, i still think it could be solved by just changing the Fighting Sioux to The Mighty Sioux
University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, and thats the way its gonna stay
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:03 pm

highheat!..Shame on you! That might upset the Scandanavians.. :lol: :roll:
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:12 pm

sportsking09 wrote:dude indians alumni, , the topic was obviously just getting back to the actual topic and the fighting had stopped then you decided to start it again by trying to get someone or everyone mad and start another fight, and if you dont think so, i'm pretty sure everyone will back me in saying your last statement had absolutely nothing to do with prefering a new name for the Fighting Sioux, so lets just get back to the actual topic and like i said a while before, i still think it could be solved by just changing the Fighting Sioux to The Mighty Sioux

It hadn't changed. It was only that noone had said anything for a few days.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby OldSchool » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:55 pm

WDAZ is doing a special on the nickname, and interviewing natives out at Spirit Lake who are both for and against the nickname fairly interesting except for the fact tonight that one of the higher ranking members claims that we are being prejudiced(sp) by continuing to use the nickname. I have friends who are native american, and I love the nickname and so do they. I just think this is such a crock. It is probably time to change the nickname, and get the heck out out of there with the media, and I am sure this has been stated before but its time to full the programs fundings then as well. Just tired of the whining and complaining, but then wanting a hand out at the same time. This is a give and take world. The University is not bigger than the Sioux Tribe, and the Sioux tribe is not bigger than the university. The university will survive and prosper without the beautiful nickname, but apparently that is not good enough. Lets change it. Sick of all the whining, but then pull the funding. Like I have said in other posts time to grow up!!
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:54 am

What funding are you referring to? The Native American Programs are not funded by UND! So you may want to get your facts straight before you post something!

I guess you missed the whole point, UND does not fund any of the Native American Programs, I mean they honor us so much, yet they cannot even help fund the Programs that help the very people they are honoring!

Some have talked about the Seminoles, well they do fund the Native people there. They provide programs out in the Seminole Community. NDSU has more programs out here than UND does!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsking09 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:17 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:What funding are you referring to? The Native American Programs are not funded by UND! So you may want to get your facts straight before you post something!

I guess you missed the whole point, UND does not fund any of the Native American Programs, I mean they honor us so much, yet they cannot even help fund the Programs that help the very people they are honoring!

Some have talked about the Seminoles, well they do fund the Native people there. They provide programs out in the Seminole Community. NDSU has more programs out here than UND does!

so now in order to honor someone or a group of people you have to give them money or what it sounds like to me is honor is about money now? get your stuff staright indians alumni, it sounds like well i dont support the nickname if they wont fund native american programs and give them money but if they do i will have more support towards the nickname
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:16 pm

Generally, if the pride is genuine, it can't be bought at any price..It will be fun to see this thing played out over the next year or two....
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indians Alumni » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:52 pm

I was explaining to those of you that don't know, UND does not put up any money for Native American Programs. They don't spend a dime. Oh sure, there is millions spent fighting to keep the name, what about spending that money on different programs for minorities or Native American programs? I think the good ol'boy mentality has got to go!

If UND spent some money or provided programs like FSU, it would be a little easier to swollow my pride, if It could help some of the youth get scholarship or financial aid. UND could be a big thing here if they did help the tribes, they so called "honor"! Yet the only thing I have seen is backlash towards Native American people, if you don't believe me, page back through this forum. There are a lot of ignorant people out there, and the only way to not let that go is to stand up, and I for one am going to stand up for what I strongly believe.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsking09 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:32 pm

Indians Alumni wrote: what about spending that money on different programs for minorities or Native American programs?

If UND spent some money or provided programs like FSU, it would be a little easier to swollow my pride, Yet the only thing I have seen is backlash towards Native American people.

so again indians alumni it looks like it is all a money issue to you. you even say you will be able to swallow your pride if the native americans can get a couple dollars,everything is money to you. and i think if the nickname is changed and logo is changed why should UND spend the money and native americans, when the native americans didnt give UND anything(as in support for the nickname). so me myself i think that if the name goes so does the native american funding and native american programs at UND and any financial support towards native americans because hey if native americans dont support UND, UND wont support native americans. and one morething indians alumni, can you give me specific examples of backlash towards native american people on the university of north dakota campus? and do you or have ever even attended actual year long classes at UND?
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter

Postby Roughrider » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:I was explaining to those of you that don't know, UND does not put up any money for Native American Programs. They don't spend a dime. Oh sure, there is millions spent fighting to keep the name, what about spending that money on different programs for minorities or Native American programs? I think the good ol'boy mentality has got to go!

If UND spent some money or provided programs like FSU, it would be a little easier to swollow my pride, if It could help some of the youth get scholarship or financial aid. UND could be a big thing here if they did help the tribes, they so called "honor"! Yet the only thing I have seen is backlash towards Native American people, if you don't believe me, page back through this forum. There are a lot of ignorant people out there, and the only way to not let that go is to stand up, and I for one am going to stand up for what I strongly believe.

IA, what are you basing your information on?
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby OldSchool » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:59 pm

Indians Alumni how has the nickname caused racism? That is what I want to hear from you. And again of course it is about money with you. You talk about scholarships and financial aid. Last time I checked no campus in the world gives out scholarships you have to qualify for them, and everyone can qualify for financial aid provided they haven't ruined there credit before coming to the university. Sounds like your looking for a hand out to me.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsking09 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:03 am

i agree 100%
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:32 am

Not everyone qualifies for student aid.....If a family does the right thing and saves some money for college more then likely they won't qualify for a dime. It's a very crooked system, but typical for a government run program. Generally the person who tries to help themselves gets squashed compared to the one who expects their government to do everything for them. :roll:
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:55 pm

OldSchool wrote:Indians Alumni how has the nickname caused racism? That is what I want to hear from you. And again of course it is about money with you. You talk about scholarships and financial aid. Last time I checked no campus in the world gives out scholarships you have to qualify for them, and everyone can qualify for financial aid provided they haven't ruined there credit before coming to the university. Sounds like your looking for a hand out to me.

The reason I have brought up Scholarships, is because UND is in a position to help the Spirit Lake & Standing Rock tribes, but they don't! Diversity Waiver, well any minority qualifies for that, but what about something specifically for these two tribes that are "Honored"? I mean, all I have heard from all of you is that you "honor" us, but I don't feel honored, I don't feel that UND is doing anything to really "honor" us! I mean they put on a lazer show at the Ralph, say a couple words before a game, but I have failed to see any of the UND Admin at the Pow Wow there. You can't BS Natives, they have seen it all!

Second, UND doesn't even have a Scholarship for Dakota/Nakota/Lakota people, they have an endowment set up buy Standing Rock and Spirit Lake. So you really can't quailify for a scholarship that isn't in existance!

I have and will earn what I get! I have worked and bought my education, without the help that UND can provide for underprivilidged youth in the Spirit Lake & Standing Rock tribes, so I am looking out for the Native Youth! So if you want to be ignorant and call me trying to get my tribes youth educated, being a hand out, then you can keep your opinions to yourself!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scruffy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:59 pm

I don't think there should be any scholarships set up for people of a certain race, ethnic background, or sex. Thats classic RACISM.... Everyone should be treated equally and racism should never be allowed.
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:11 pm

scruffy wrote:I don't think there should be any scholarships set up for people of a certain race, ethnic background, or sex. Thats classic RACISM.... Everyone should be treated equally and racism should never be allowed.

I can agree with you on your last statement, but race is always going to be a factor. Ever apply for a job? Well there is a box that I have to check, Native American/Alaskan Native. Government is always going to seperate race!

To expand on your first statement? If that where the case, then the decision makers of scholarships would most-likely give scholarship to Caucausian people, just due to the fact that they are the majority! So how fair would that be to the races that are overlooked, Native Americans make up a very small percentage of the minorities, I mean we are minorities in the minority! So somethine needs to be set up so that Native Americans are not overlooked!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scruffy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Indians alumni...THERE YOU GO AGAIN! Color or race SHOULDN'T matter! Scholarships should be awarded based on merit and nothing else. It should have nothing to do with quota's or anything. What's wrong with old fashioned MERIT! If you earn it you deserve it........
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:10 pm

I dont' think it matters what type of a deal that UND offers the tribes, Standing Rock will not accept it. Spirit Lake seems more open, and a lot of the residents there actually like the attention. But that's a long way from unanimous support. Personally I wish that we could put the issue to bed. No amount of message board discussion is going to convince those who feel offended that it's not racist. And those with close ties to the school that have done their best to portray the imagery of the Fighting Sioux with respect, will never understand how it's offensive.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges