If you don't like the sioux....do you have a better suggesti

No smack talk is allowed here.

Re: If you don't like the sioux....do you have a better suggesti

Postby Stromer » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:31 pm

Roughrider wrote:oh come on. when you guys are talking about racism, i want to get some examples to support your theory. as long as i have been in North Dakota i have not seen one ounce of Racism towards native americans

It may not be in the open, but its there. Having worked in Devils Lake, you see it all the time. It isn't out in the open, but there is a lot said behind people's backs. I found myself treating them different then other people. It may have been wrong but I had my reasons. However, none of them were because UND uses a NA logo so it must be right. stuff poor logic there.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rez01 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:09 am

Roughrider wrote:oh come on. when you guys are talking about racism, i want to get some examples to support your theory. as long as i have been in North Dakota i have not seen one ounce of Racism towards native americans

So because you haven't seen it, it doesn't happen? My senior year, we were 22-2 going into the Regional Championship game (Standing Rock, 1 loss to a top 5 class A team from SD). We lost in OT. It was the worst officiated game I've ever seen, ever. At the end of the game, we had 32 fouls...32 and they had 8...8 total. We had 4 guys foul out and the 5 on the court at the end of the game were the only ones that could play, since we had 3 guys sitting out with injuries. I'm not sure if that's racism or hometown refs...but tell me how one team can have 32 fouls and the other 8? Worst night of my life...watching me and my friends dream of State go down the drain thanks to those refs. I could list more things that I've witnessed growing up, but I won't because you learn to live with it.
rez01
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:54 am

rez01 wrote:

So because you haven't seen it, it doesn't happen? My senior year, we were 22-2 going into the Regional Championship game (Standing Rock, 1 loss to a top 5 class A team from SD). We lost in OT. It was the worst officiated game I've ever seen, ever. At the end of the game, we had 32 fouls...32 and they had 8...8 total. We had 4 guys foul out and the 5 on the court at the end of the game were the only ones that could play, since we had 3 guys sitting out with injuries. I'm not sure if that's racism or hometown refs...but tell me how one team can have 32 fouls and the other 8? Worst night of my life...watching me and my friends dream of State go down the drain thanks to those refs. I could list more things that I've witnessed growing up, but I won't because you learn to live with it.

was that against scranton? because I was at that game
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby rez01 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:22 am

Ming01 wrote:
rez01 wrote:

was that against scranton? because I was at that game

Wilton
rez01
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Roughrider » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:12 am

you think that is racism, thats not racism. that has happend to us before. all that is is hometown refs. when we played linton in linton during basketball the fouls were always like that every year, thats just how it is, that doesnt mean its racism come on. And Stromer, do you think that changing the nickname is going to make that go away, the nickname has nothing to do with anything that you are talking about
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:08 pm

Stromer wrote:

It may not be in the open, but its there. Having worked in Devils Lake, you see it all the time. It isn't out in the open, but there is a lot said behind people's backs. I found myself treating them different then other people. It may have been wrong but I had my reasons. However, none of them were because UND uses a NA logo so it must be right. stuff poor logic there.[/quote]

First off, I would like to know your reason for treating "Them" different than other people? Second, DL people treat Fort Totten People or Spirit Lake people different due to rasicm. Just because it was not due to use of the Logo or nickname doesn't make the racism different! Those people you refer to are my family, my friends and my people! So your only digging yourself a hole in your logic!

How is trying to stop racism stuff poor logic? Please elaborate!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:36 pm

Pretty sure what Stromer was saying is that the use of the UND logo does not increase racism toward native americans. I doubt if anyone believes that trying to stop racism is a bad idea.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:16 pm

Allowing the logo to go on when some are offended is allowing racism to go on! I am not a rocketsurgeon but I can see that!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Roughrider » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:59 pm

so you think that by changing the name, the racism will go away
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:27 pm

I am NOT trying to attack Indians Alumni, Native Americans, defend racism, or say anything offensive in general to anyone, because this a touhcy subject. However....

I think his use of "Rocket Surgeon" is absolutely hilarious!!!!! Didnt know rockets had surgeons
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:10 pm

What about racism towards whites? I am sure Native Americans talk behind ppl's backs too...
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Stromer » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:16 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Pretty sure what Stromer was saying is that the use of the UND logo does not increase racism toward native americans. I doubt if anyone believes that trying to stop racism is a bad idea.

That is what I was trying to say. My views were based on the culture that I saw in town. They weren't right but thats how it was. Getting rid of the logo would not have changed the way I acted. I agree with trying to stop racism and if it takes getting rid of the logo, then so be it. However, I don't think that getting rid of the logo is somehow going to eliminate racism in the state,as some seem to believe.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Roughrider » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:23 am

i dont think that eliminating the logo will have even the smallest most slightest impact at all. eliminating the logo will do nothing to help the cause.
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:44 am

If removing it removes any racism, I am for it.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:53 am

Indians Alumni wrote:If removing it removes any racism, I am for it.

I am too, but unfortunately, I think it is going to create more animosity toward the tribes.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:18 pm

I wonder what kind of plan UND has to change the tribes minds?
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Mr. Knowitall » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:23 pm

[quote="Indians Alumni"]I wonder what kind of plan UND has to change the tribes minds?[/quo

You would have to believe that UND would have like tuition waivers for all Sioux students that are accepted, to retain their name and logo. Other than that I don't think the Sioux tribes will change their minds on the issue.
Experience tells you what to do; confidence allows you to do it.
Mr. Knowitall
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:40 pm

Mr. Knowitall wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:I wonder what kind of plan UND has to change the tribes minds?[/quo

You would have to believe that UND would have like tuition waivers for all Sioux students that are accepted, to retain their name and logo. Other than that I don't think the Sioux tribes will change their minds on the issue.

I think this is a right or wrong situation., tuition waivers, scholarships or anything of that sort doesn't all of a sudden make the logo non-offensive...
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mr. Knowitall » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:50 pm

But it allows UND to give back for the usage of the Sioux name/logo. Im sure the tribal councils will agree to it, why would they turn down free education for the young people of the Sioux reservations? I don't see any other options for UND to significantly impress the tribal councils.
Experience tells you what to do; confidence allows you to do it.
Mr. Knowitall
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:52 am

Mr. Knowitall wrote:But it allows UND to give back for the usage of the Sioux name/logo. Im sure the tribal councils will agree to it, why would they turn down free education for the young people of the Sioux reservations? I don't see any other options for UND to significantly impress the tribal councils.

doesn't make it right. the tribes find it offensive and racist, seems pretty fishy to me that they would accept this money and that would make this so called offensive logo alright? it's either offensive or not, seems kind of weird that ppl are complaining about the logo that it's so racist and causes racism but all of a sudden this racism goes away when scholarships/money are handed out.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Number7 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:06 am

The same thing happened at Florida St. and the University of Illinois. I dont know about tuition and scholarships, but suddenly once millions of dollars in profits are given to the tribes the issue goes away and its all ok.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDSportsFan » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:40 am

I haven't heard any representative from the tribes say that they would change their minds if money was involved. I think it's too soon to assume that.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:04 pm

They can also provide different programs, work with high school kids to promote higher education, that would be really big of UND. I am not saying throw money at the situation, money without direction is useless! They need to work with the Tribes for a better solution than throwing money!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Roughrider » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:53 pm

IA, have you ever been to UND? have you ever been on the campus
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:13 pm

Umm Yeah! so what you getting at, I fail to see the point of that question!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges