If you don't like the sioux....do you have a better suggesti

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby nativegolfer » Wed May 09, 2007 9:16 am

member01 wrote:actually Indians Alumni the sioux logo and name are registered trademarks and the federal trademark act  prohoibits the registration of any mark that Consists of or comprises immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter, or matter which may disparage or falsely suggest a connection with persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols or bring them into contempt or dispute. So if the logo and name are trademarked that means they are none of the above.   

Therefore, if they are registered trademarks they are not hostile or abusive to anyone now are they?

http://www.universityrelations.und.edu/logoappeal/openletter_6-07-06.html

Oh, so that makes everything OK!  It's a registered trademark!  Now I feel so honored to have UND's nickname be Fighting Sioux!  Let me ask you something.  Who do you think made that determination?  I'd say there was a 99.999% chance that a native american or any minority wasn't consulted.   
Last edited by nativegolfer on Wed May 09, 2007 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby rez01 » Wed May 09, 2007 9:17 am

member01 wrote:actually Indians Alumni the sioux logo and name are registered trademarks and the federal trademark act  prohoibits the registration of any mark that Consists of or comprises immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter, or matter which may disparage or falsely suggest a connection with persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols or bring them into contempt or dispute. So if the logo and name are trademarked that means they are none of the above.   

Therefore, if they are registered trademarks they are not hostile or abusive to anyone now are they?

http://www.universityrelations.und.edu/logoappeal/openletter_6-07-06.html

and who do you think actually decides what logo's are "immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter, or matter which may disparage or falsely suggest a connection with persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols or bring them into contempt or dispute."? I'm thinking it's probably not the most diverse group of people if you know what I mean. Just because a group of older white guys think it's not harmful doesn't make it right.
rez01
NDPreps Reserve

Postby project-pat » Wed May 09, 2007 9:18 am

Indians Alumni wrote:
member01 wrote:avoiding my question and information indians alumni, thats what i thought, you have nothing to say

Just because you trademarked it doesn't make it nonabusive, or hostile.  I guess the NCAA has agreed with me.  They find it to be hostile or abusive!  So your question was?  What if I had a logo with a farmer with a pitch fork.  called UND "the Farming Caucasians"! would you appreciate that?  I think there would be some of you, that find it offensive. 

haha that would actually pretty cool...THE RAGIN CAUCASIANS, haha that's the next name i want besides the broken toasters.
project-pat

Postby Ming01 » Wed May 09, 2007 9:27 am

Indians Alumni wrote:
Ming01 wrote:affirmative action is a negative reaction, only racist consider race

It's funny that you bash Affirmative Action when you have a picture bashing Hilary Clinton, a female presidental candidate. It was set up for women too!  So we can conclude that you are a sexist too!?

i know that it is, i didn't say it doesn't involve women.

also, this is what affirmative action does to us, you call me a sexist because my avatar is poking fun at Hillary.  I don't agree with her and if she gets the Dem nomination I hope she gets dominated in the elections.  Don't accuse me of anything with no proof.  I could easily say some stereotypes of you, but I won't cuz it would be wrong.  Back to the point, if my avatar was poking fun at Obama, would you call me a racist?  This is why affirmative action has ruined our society. 
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 10:18 am

Ok, you are right, I don't know you from Tom, dude or Harry.  But, you are wrong in saying that Affirmative Action ruined society.  If Affirmative action was not organized, the country would be runned by mostly male caucasions.  how can their be diversity if there is only one point of view? 

IMHO, you just don't know, but ignorance is not an excuse. 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 10:28 am

Ming01 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
Ming01 wrote:affirmative action is a negative reaction, only racist consider race

It's funny that you bash Affirmative Action when you have a picture bashing Hilary Clinton, a female presidental candidate. It was set up for women too!  So we can conclude that you are a sexist too!?

also, this is what affirmative action does to us, you call me a sexist because my avatar is poking fun at Hillary.  I don't agree with her and if she gets the Dem nomination I hope she gets dominated in the elections.  Don't accuse me of anything with no proof.  I could easily say some stereotypes of you, but I won't cuz it would be wrong.  Back to the point, if my avatar was poking fun at Obama, would you call me a racist?  This is why affirmative action has ruined our society. 

Why do you not agree with her?  I am asking seriously?  Maybe a change is needed.  Maybe a womans side is what this country needs.  I have been raised by a single parent, my mother, she is a very strong woman, and I think women have a strength that some men do not.  I hate to admit that, but it is true.  I think some men are intimidated by a strong woman. 

It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nativegolfer » Wed May 09, 2007 10:43 am

Indians Alumni wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:

Why do you not agree with her?  I am asking seriously?  Maybe a change is needed.  Maybe a womans side is what this country needs.  I have been raised by a single parent, my mother, she is a very strong woman, and I think women have a strength that some men do not.  I hate to admit that, but it is true.  I think some men are intimidated by a strong woman. 

I'm gonna vote for Hillary, I to was raised by a single parent(grandmother) and I don't see how it could make a big difference the country being run by a woman.  Couldn't be any worse than the way Bonehead's running the show.   Isn't funny how a white male(I'm presuming)  from ND is complaining about affirmative action.  ND has probably felt the effects of AA about as much as Antarctica has. 
Last edited by nativegolfer on Wed May 09, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Stromer » Wed May 09, 2007 10:53 am

About Hillary, I will love it when she loses and the media will get up in arms that this country isn't ready for a woman president and the like.  They never will mention of course that some of her policies and beliefs turn people off.  It must just be her sex because thats how America is.  We hate all minorities according to the media.  I mean when I vote Edwards, it doesn't mean that I hate Hillary.  It just means I think she is a little wack.  But people will still see me as sexist.  I guess that is todays society.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Wed May 09, 2007 1:49 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:Ok, you are right, I don't know you from Tom, dude or Harry.  But, you are wrong in saying that Affirmative Action ruined society.  If Affirmative action was not organized, the country would be runned by mostly male caucasions.  how can their be diversity if there is only one point of view? 

IMHO, you just don't know, but ignorance is not an excuse. 

Whether the country is ran by white males or black females or whatever the race may be, it should be ran by those most deserving. Not those that are less deserving and get the position because they are a different race.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Wed May 09, 2007 1:56 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:
baller01 wrote:What kind of attitude is that. It would be ok if you Natives named the school but not Whites? Just like in rap music. A rapper can say the "N" word a hundred times in one song and thats ok but if I called a black person that it would get ugly.

So it is ok for you to do it but not us. I see how it is.

And yes, affirmative action is the dumbest thing out there. Why should a white be denied a job when he or she is more qualified and you get it because you are Native, or African American? The most qualified and best person for the job should get the job no matter if they are white, black, red, yellow, pink, it shouldn't matter. All that affirmative action does is makes a bigger deal about what race you are.

Affirmative action only helps the minority groups.  Most of the employement in ND is by Middle-aged White men.   Affermative action is also provided for women along with minorities. 

It is not ok to for anyone to use the "N" word or any other racist words.  I said he would have had an arguement if we had a choice in the name.  So he has no arguement.  This was a name decided on by the college board of regents, which where all white middle-aged men.  So no where did I say it was ok, so do me a favor and stop trying to put words in my mouth. 

In a perfect world it shouldn't matter your color, but this is not a perfect world.  You look at the south, they still linch blacks!  Don't tell me they don't, they have KKK, what about the church burnings.  So this is not an equal world.  I am glad there are laws that protect the minority groups.

i agree with most of this but the n word is fine if used by one black guy to another black guy but that is hard to explain i guess

and what do you think about this remember i have no opinion on this matter but do you own the word sioux any more than i own the n word?

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Wed May 09, 2007 2:31 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:
member01 wrote:avoiding my question and information indians alumni, thats what i thought, you have nothing to say

Just because you trademarked it doesn't make it nonabusive, or hostile.  I guess the NCAA has agreed with me.  They find it to be hostile or abusive!  So your question was?  What if I had a logo with a farmer with a pitch fork.  called UND "the Farming Caucasians"! would you appreciate that?  I think there would be some of you, that find it offensive. 

Dude, go for it. I'm a farmer and I'd love to see it be the "Farming Caucasians". That would be sweet. ND is a rural, farming state, so why not make it that. It's a name. Not being used as an insult. Do you think the "Fighting Sioux" nickname was intended to be taken insultively? No. You are just being a big baby about it.

You might not be honored to have a school named after you, but you sure don't have to affended by it. I suppose if you look at everything with a racist attitude, you can find something racist about it.

You just have an attitude right now that you think just because you have ancestors who were treated so poorly (which they were) and you feel that we should all give you sympathy and pitty for anything that might be taken abusive or hostile. I guess I'd be really affended if it was the UND "Fighting Famers"...*sarcasim*
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Wed May 09, 2007 2:36 pm

All of you people that are for affirmative action, how about we get it in the NBA. Let's take Garnett, McGrady, Carter, Shaq, and LeBron out of the NBA and get some white boys in there...
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Wed May 09, 2007 4:21 pm

baller01 wrote:All of you people that are for affirmative action, how about we get it in the NBA. Let's take Garnett, McGrady, Carter, Shaq, and LeBron out of the NBA and get some white boys in there...

hahaha that would be pretty interesting actually

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ming01 » Wed May 09, 2007 5:43 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:

I do not agree with some of her stances... for example, I am not for the murdering of children.
Last edited by Ming01 on Wed May 09, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsguy2 » Wed May 09, 2007 6:23 pm

baller01 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:

Dude, go for it. I'm a farmer and I'd love to see it be the "Farming Caucasians". That would be sweet. ND is a rural, farming state, so why not make it that. It's a name. Not being used as an insult. Do you think the "Fighting Sioux" nickname was intended to be taken insultively? No. You are just being a big baby about it.

You might not be honored to have a school named after you, but you sure don't have to affended by it. I suppose if you look at everything with a racist attitude, you can find something racist about it.

You just have an attitude right now that you think just because you have ancestors who were treated so poorly (which they were) and you feel that we should all give you sympathy and pitty for anything that might be taken abusive or hostile. I guess I'd be really affended if it was the UND "Fighting Famers"...*sarcasim*

lol i kind of like it
sportsguy2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Roughrider » Wed May 09, 2007 6:25 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:As for you Project Pat, don't do me any favors, dressing up in a war bonnet and painting your face is not honoring me!  So get off that horse quick, your going to get bucked off!

just one question, why did you say this. do you think that people at UND actually do this

GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby project-pat » Wed May 09, 2007 6:25 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:As for you Project Pat, don't do me any favors, dressing up in a war bonnet and painting your face is not honoring me!  So get off that horse quick, your going to get bucked off!

how many ppl do you actually see doing that? UND DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A MASCOT!
Last edited by project-pat on Wed May 09, 2007 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
project-pat

Postby Saucesauer » Wed May 09, 2007 6:37 pm

I bet if und was to change it from the sioux to any other name in 5-10 years native americans would be complaining they are no longer being honored and especially if und won like 3 straight titles

and it was the gov that tried to eliminate you not und maybe und is trying to stick it to the man (gov) by honoring you
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 6:59 pm

baller01 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:

First of all it is "O"ffended.  Second of all they did not use the Sioux name to honor us!  Do you think these backwards hillbillies thought, "what name could we use that will honor someone, How about the Fighting Sioux?"  They decided to name the school after the Sioux, because they killed bison. 

Just being a big baby?  I would beg to differ, I hold a four year degree, and I would rather use my mind to fight my battles, believe me I could use my physical attributes to fight my battles, but only dummies do that, and when I see something I strongly believe against, I stand up for it.  I hope that you do not spread your ignorance down to your children, if so I hope they educate themselves and understand the backwards ways you & others have displayed on this website.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Wed May 09, 2007 7:05 pm

ok ok ok...IA....if you have such strong beliefs AGAINST discrimination...then what does calling us "backwards hillbillies" accomplish? You're kinda going against your beliefs here don't ya think? I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE PERSON SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT YOU GUYS, SO WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT??
project-pat

Postby Roughrider » Wed May 09, 2007 7:05 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:
baller01 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:

First of all it is "O"ffended.  Second of all they did not use the Sioux name to honor us!  Do you think these backwards hillbillies thought, "what name could we use that will honor someone, How about the Fighting Sioux?"  They decided to name the school after the Sioux, because they killed bison. 

Just being a big baby?  I would beg to differ, I hold a four year degree, and I would rather use my mind to fight my battles, believe me I could use my physical attributes to fight my battles, but only dummies do that, and when I see something I strongly believe against, I stand up for it.  I hope that you do not spread your ignorance down to your children, if so I hope they educate themselves and understand the backwards ways you & others have displayed on this website.

first of all, so what if they chose it because they killed bison. and second of all, do you really believe the stuff that you type, i mean come on.
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Roughrider » Wed May 09, 2007 7:05 pm

ok ok ok...IA....if you have such strong beliefs AGAINST discrimination...then what does calling us "backwards hillbillies" accomplish? You're kinda going against your beliefs here don't ya think? I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE PERSON SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT YOU GUYS, SO WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT??

i agree with PP on this one, seriously, your going against everything you've been talking about

Last edited by Roughrider on Wed May 09, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 7:08 pm

Saucesauer wrote:I bet if und was to change it from the sioux to any other name in 5-10 years native americans would be complaining they are no longer being honored and especially if und won like 3 straight titles

and it was the gov that tried to eliminate you not und maybe und is trying to stick it to the man (gov) by honoring you

I will take that bet!  UND does not honor us!  I have yet to see any official from UND come and meet with the tribal Chairman or the district reps.  So I want you to tell me how they honor us?  Using the Likeness of our people as a logo?  I don't think so!  So take your so-called honor and stick it! 

That same government you are talking about is trying to get involved in keeping the Sioux name!  What kind of messeges are we sending our future leaders at UND? we are promoting racism and ignorance.  There is going to be a Pow Wow on the Spirit Lake Reservation this July.  I would like to extend an invitation to any UND officials to come and visit, or even represent UND.  If they are honoring us, I don't think they won't mind coming!  They can honor us there!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Wed May 09, 2007 7:09 pm

Roughrider wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
baller01 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:

first of all, so what if they chose it because they killed bison. and second of all, do you really believe the stuff that you type, i mean come on.

the thing i like in here the most is this
I would rather use my mind to fight my battles, believe me I could use my physical attributes to fight my battles, but only dummies do that

at least ia knows what he wants to accomplish in life i gotta give him credit for that
Last edited by cdub1 on Wed May 09, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 7:10 pm

Ming01 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:

I do not agree with some of her stances... for example, I am not for the murdering of children.

Who the heck is for Murdering of Children?
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges