If you don't like the sioux....do you have a better suggesti

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby cdub1 » Tue May 08, 2007 4:59 pm

project-pat wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
project-pat wrote:
ndfan wrote:[user=790]project-pat[/user] wrote:
Well I'm offended by how some white people are portrayed in movies...always being so nerdy and uncoordinated and being called "white boy"...I WANT THOSE TAKEN OUT OF MOVIES!!! I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS

why?

I find it disrespectul and stereotypical.....BUT....nothing is going to be changed about it, so i'm going to live with it, which is what you people should do about the fighting sioux.

im wondering about this is it possible to make them change it because they have freedom of speech?

well they should have the freedom to choose whatever nickname they want...THEY ARE NOT DOING IT TO BE DISRESPECTFUL, THEY ARE HONORING NATIVE AMERICANS

here's what it looks like to me it won't get changed because the word sioux isn't patented or anything like that so they don't own the word

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Tue May 08, 2007 5:34 pm

I like project-pats point. I'm affended by the movie "White Men Can't Jump". The movie title is stereotyping because traditionally African Americans can jump higher the Whites. I feel very affended because I know some white boys that can jump ex. Jaden Voth.

Maybe we should get some animal rights activists together and try to get the NDSU "Bison" nickname changed. The "Bison" logo has a bison snorting which makes it look mean and everyone knows that a Bison isn't a vicious animal.
Last edited by baller01 on Tue May 08, 2007 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Tue May 08, 2007 5:39 pm

baller01 wrote:I like project-pats point. I'm affended by the movie "White Men Can't Jump". The movie title is stereotyping because traditionally African Americans can jump higher the Whites. I feel very affended because I know some white boys that can jump ex. Jaden Voth.

Maybe we should get some animal rights activists together and try to get the NDSU "Bison" nickname changed. The "Bison" logo has a bison snorting which makes it look mean and everyone knows that a Bison isn't a vicious animal.

one of my white friends tried to use white men can't jump to prove black people can get away with more but it was either produced or written by a white guy

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Tue May 08, 2007 5:41 pm

cdub1 wrote:
baller01 wrote:I like project-pats point. I'm affended by the movie "White Men Can't Jump". The movie title is stereotyping because traditionally African Americans can jump higher the Whites. I feel very affended because I know some white boys that can jump ex. Jaden Voth.

one of my white friends tried to use white men can't jump to prove black people can get away with more but it was either produced or written by a white guy

It probably was. I was just using it as an example. This whole thing is almost as dumb as affirmative action.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Tue May 08, 2007 5:51 pm

bison are extremely viscious animals...terrible, mean beasts...man killers even 

rep

Postby baller01 » Tue May 08, 2007 5:52 pm

But the "Bison" logo portrays a mean, viscious beast. And I love bison so I want the NDSU nickname changed.
*sarcasim*
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Tue May 08, 2007 5:55 pm

The University of North Dakota "Broken Toasters"....that's the only name i'll live with, besides the Sioux
project-pat

Postby Saucesauer » Tue May 08, 2007 6:19 pm

cdub made an excelent point nobody owns the word sioux so shut up and all of the people complaning about this sioux you
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Roughrider » Tue May 08, 2007 6:28 pm

Saucesauer wrote:cdub made an excelent point nobody owns the word sioux so shut up and all of the people complaning about this sioux you

no kidding its a nickname. they are dakota, and dont call themselves the sioux, and like saucesauer and cdub1 said, nobody has a patent on it and dont own it so back off everybody already.
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Tue May 08, 2007 6:48 pm

the fact is most of us will never get this issue, get it?
Last edited by Ming01 on Tue May 08, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Tue May 08, 2007 6:59 pm

Ming01 wrote:the fact is most of us will never get this issue, get it?

ya south park

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue May 08, 2007 10:52 pm

I believe the lawsuit UND is pursuing against the NCAA is whether or not they can legally sanction them by not permitting them to host any playoff games.  I don't think there is any way they can force them to change the name, but they can exert influence by making it difficult for them to continue.

So the real question is if the courts uphold the NCAA's decision to host playoff games at UND, should they change it, or is the name the Fighting Sioux too important for them to change?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Wed May 09, 2007 2:47 am

How about fighting Sue?? There's a law school at UND right?? Then you can have the face of madlock as the schools logo.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 5:05 am

Roughrider wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:cdub made an excelent point nobody owns the word sioux so shut up and all of the people complaning about this sioux you

no kidding its a nickname. they are dakota, and dont call themselves the sioux, and like saucesauer and cdub1 said, nobody has a patent on it and dont own it so back off everybody already.

Well, who do you portrait to be the sioux, I mean take a look at your picture, isn't that the likeness of a Native American!  Oh wait it is!  When it comes to the sioux name, who on God's Green earth are you referring too?  Oh My Lanta, it is us!  So yeah we do have ownership of the name.  You have to be the most ignorant one so far!  Congrats, take a bow!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 5:11 am

baller01 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

It probably was. I was just using it as an example. This whole thing is almost as dumb as affirmative action.

I would love to see you say that to Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.  If you can come out from behind your computer wall!

You would have an arguement if we had named the school "The Fighting Sioux"! but we didn't! It is ignorance such as this bold print that will never change anything!  Sounds like something your grandfathers would say! The statue of Sitting Bull outside the Ralph is beautiful, but he didn't fight and die to be a monument at a school that has no respect for his cause! He never fought so UND can use it, he faught to be equal! 

Take a look at your quote!  Did you put that on there because you truly believe that or just because you think it looks good? 
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Wed May 09, 2007 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Wed May 09, 2007 5:49 am

Indians Alumni wrote:
baller01 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

I would love to see you say that to Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.  If you can come out from behind your computer wall!

You would have an arguement if we had named the school "The Fighting Sioux"! but we didn't! It is ignorance such as this bold print that will never change anything!  Sounds like something your grandfathers would say! The statue of Sitting Bull outside the Ralph is beautiful, but he didn't fight and die to be a monument at a school that has no respect for his cause! He never fought so UND can use it, he faught to be equal! 

Take a look at your quote!  Did you put that on there because you truly believe that or just because you think it looks good? 

What kind of attitude is that. It would be ok if you Natives named the school but not Whites? Just like in rap music. A rapper can say the "N" word a hundred times in one song and thats ok but if I called a black person that it would get ugly.

So it is ok for you to do it but not us. I see how it is.

And yes, affirmative action is the dumbest thing out there. Why should a white be denied a job when he or she is more qualified and you get it because you are Native, or African American? The most qualified and best person for the job should get the job no matter if they are white, black, red, yellow, pink, it shouldn't matter. All that affirmative action does is makes a bigger deal about what race you are.
Last edited by baller01 on Wed May 09, 2007 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby member01 » Wed May 09, 2007 6:19 am

actually Indians Alumni the sioux logo and name are registered trademarks and the federal trademark act  prohoibits the registration of any mark that Consists of or comprises immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter, or matter which may disparage or falsely suggest a connection with persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols or bring them into contempt or dispute. So if the logo and name are trademarked that means they are none of the above.   

Therefore, if they are registered trademarks they are not hostile or abusive to anyone now are they?

http://www.universityrelations.und.edu/logoappeal/openletter_6-07-06.html
Last edited by member01 on Wed May 09, 2007 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
member01

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 6:46 am

baller01 wrote:What kind of attitude is that. It would be ok if you Natives named the school but not Whites? Just like in rap music. A rapper can say the "N" word a hundred times in one song and thats ok but if I called a black person that it would get ugly.

And yes, affirmative action is the dumbest thing out there. Why should a white be denied a job when he or she is more qualified and you get it because you are Native, or African American? The most qualified and best person for the job should get the job no matter if they are white, black, red, yellow, pink, it shouldn't matter. All that affirmative action does is makes a bigger deal about what race you are.

Affirmative action only helps the minority groups.  Most of the employement in ND is by Middle-aged White men.   Affermative action is also provided for women along with minorities. 

It is not ok to for anyone to use the "N" word or any other racist words.  I said he would have had an arguement if we had a choice in the name.  So he has no arguement.  This was a name decided on by the college board of regents, which where all white middle-aged men.  So no where did I say it was ok, so do me a favor and stop trying to put words in my mouth. 

In a perfect world it shouldn't matter your color, but this is not a perfect world.  You look at the south, they still linch blacks!  Don't tell me they don't, they have KKK, what about the church burnings.  So this is not an equal world.  I am glad there are laws that protect the minority groups.
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Wed May 09, 2007 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nativegolfer » Wed May 09, 2007 7:03 am

baller01 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
baller01 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

What kind of attitude is that. It would be ok if you Natives named the school but not Whites? Just like in rap music. A rapper can say the "N" word a hundred times in one song and thats ok but if I called a black person that it would get ugly.

Let's get one thing straight about affirmative action; it's meant for mexicans and blacks not natives.  I used to apply for teaching jobs in Devils Lake just for the heck of it.  I think I applied 4 times.  Guess what, didn't get an interview once!  Tell me where affirmative action was in my case.  Guess who's getting most of cultural diversity tuition waivers?  It isn't natives. 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Wed May 09, 2007 7:34 am

affirmative action is a negative reaction, only racist consider race
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 8:47 am

Ming01 wrote:affirmative action is a negative reaction, only racist consider race

It's funny that you bash Affirmative Action when you have a picture bashing Hilary Clinton, a female presidental candidate. It was set up for women too!  So we can conclude that you are a sexist too!?
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 8:49 am

As for you Project Pat, don't do me any favors, dressing up in a war bonnet and painting your face is not honoring me!  So get off that horse quick, your going to get bucked off!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby member01 » Wed May 09, 2007 9:03 am

avoiding my question and information indians alumni, thats what i thought, you have nothing to say
member01

Postby rez01 » Wed May 09, 2007 9:11 am

project-pat wrote:
ndfan wrote:[user=790]project-pat[/user] wrote:
Well I'm offended by how some white people are portrayed in movies...always being so nerdy and uncoordinated and being called "white boy"...I WANT THOSE TAKEN OUT OF MOVIES!!! I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS

why?

I find it disrespectul and stereotypical.....BUT....nothing is going to be changed about it, so i'm going to live with it, which is what you people should do about the fighting sioux.

But were your ancestors treated like animals by the Gov't? Where they lied to, treaties broken? Given smallpox filled blankets for the soul reason in hoping to kill off your population? Where they considered an "obstacle" in the expansion to the West, an "obstacle" which the Gov't wanted removed any way possible? Then all of a sudden they want something of yours (image) and they claim they're "Honoring" you?
rez01
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed May 09, 2007 9:14 am

member01 wrote:avoiding my question and information indians alumni, thats what i thought, you have nothing to say

Just because you trademarked it doesn't make it nonabusive, or hostile.  I guess the NCAA has agreed with me.  They find it to be hostile or abusive!  So your question was?  What if I had a logo with a farmer with a pitch fork.  called UND "the Farming Caucasians"! would you appreciate that?  I think there would be some of you, that find it offensive. 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges