If you don't like the sioux....do you have a better suggesti

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby baller01 » Tue May 08, 2007 6:14 am

Any Irish people on here that can whine to Notre Dame and maybe get that named changed? Let's make it the UND "Figthing Caucasians".
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Tue May 08, 2007 6:44 am

don't know if they (notre dame) have any requirements about 'purity' (for lack of a better term) of irish you have to be before they would take you seriously. i'm part irish, but probably not anymore than like 10 percent...proabably not more than 3 or 5 percent. just enough to get the red hair, the fair skin and the love of potatoes, jameson and guinness.

of course, if they gave me a lou holtz bobblehead or something i'd probably forget the whole thing.
rep

Postby project-pat » Tue May 08, 2007 9:10 am

Indians Alumni wrote:I think the NCAA will uphold the banning of the name.  It is pretty rediculous that the state of North Dakota gets involved.  Pretty Hick if you ask me.

It's "hick" that we like the nickname and would not like it changed? Well I think it's hick that other tribes are getting involved over the nickname when it has nothing to do with them.
project-pat

Postby ndfan » Tue May 08, 2007 9:23 am

[user=790]project-pat[/user] wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:I think the NCAA will uphold the banning of the name.  It is pretty rediculous that the state of North Dakota gets involved.  Pretty Hick if you ask me.

It's "hick" that we like the nickname and would not like it changed? Well I think it's hick that other tribes are getting involved over the nickname when it has nothing to do with them.

What tribes do you speak of that are involved that don't have anything to do with it? I'm just curious.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue May 08, 2007 9:30 am

Oh you must be talking about Standing Rock, oh wait, they are Dakota!  For your info, even though I owe you no explaination, I am speaking for myself and the tribe I belong to!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Stromer » Tue May 08, 2007 9:41 am

Baller wrote:We have debated for 2 pages about not liking the nickname....this topic was supposed to be about suggestions on what to change it to and I have not seen ONE serious answer.

Obviously you didn't read them ALL then.  Either that or you are very picky.  "Cavalry" would work just fine. 

And does anyone know why Spirit Lake has a company called Sioux Manufacturing if they are indeed Dakota or Lakota or some other name?
Last edited by Stromer on Tue May 08, 2007 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue May 08, 2007 9:50 am

It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue May 08, 2007 9:54 am

Stromer wrote:
Baller wrote:We have debated for 2 pages about not liking the nickname....this topic was supposed to be about suggestions on what to change it to and I have not seen ONE serious answer.

Obviously you didn't read them ALL then.  Either that or you are very picky.  "Cavalry" would work just fine. 

And does anyone know why Spirit Lake has a company called Sioux Manufacturing if they are indeed Dakota or Lakota or some other name?

I sense your little ploy of sarcasm, so I will amuse myself a alittle and tell you, that this is a business on the reservation that employes mostly Native American people.  This was a name decided on back in the 80's, back then it was mostly run buy non-natives.  So the name was created from that era.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue May 08, 2007 9:59 am

http://www.nativevillage.org/Messages%20from%20the%20People/timeline%20for%20Indian%20Mascots.htm

This is a nice timeline, notice that this fight against UND was started in 1972.  So this is no new thing. 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nativegolfer » Tue May 08, 2007 10:08 am

Indians Alumni wrote:
Stromer wrote:

I sense your little ploy of sarcasm, so I will amuse myself a alittle and tell you, that this is a business on the reservation that employes mostly Native American people.  This was a name decided on back in the 80's, back then it was mostly run buy non-natives.  So the name was created from that era.
Actually SMC was started in 1977.  IA your mom has worked there since day 1, come on!
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue May 08, 2007 10:37 am

Indians Alumni wrote:http://www.nativevillage.org/Messages%20from%20the%20People/timeline%20for%20Indian%20Mascots.htm

This is a nice timeline, notice that this fight against UND was started in 1972.  So this is no new thing. 

This doesn't correspond with your answer in regard to Sioux Manufacturing.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue May 08, 2007 10:51 am

I know, it was Brunswick before then, so learn your history before you try to correct mine!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue May 08, 2007 10:53 am

Wild Wolves wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:http://www.nativevillage.org/Messages%20from%20the%20People/timeline%20for%20Indian%20Mascots.htm

well if you read closely, in the not so finely printed underneath that website, I said it was a timeline.  This fight has not just started.  It has been going on 35 years now!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby COACHWEST » Tue May 08, 2007 11:23 am

Indians Alumni wrote:
Roughrider wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:I got the perfect nickname that would be very fitting and appropriate:  The UND Fighting Englestads!  Is there anything more perfect?

Yeah there is something more perfect:  FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

NBE, you're out of order!!!

how do you figure he is out of order, he is just stating the obvious. the truth is there isnt any nickname that anybody can think of that would be better than FIGHTING SIOUX.-

Ok, you tell me why it is so much better?  I mean you tell me how you justify the use!  Because it has been used for so many years?  Well not good enough. 

The Obvious would be to change it!  People, including myself, are offended!  :buttkick:

I am offended by your animated smiley faces.  Does not mean that they should be dropped.
COACHWEST
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue May 08, 2007 11:51 am

COACHWEST wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
Roughrider wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:I got the perfect nickname that would be very fitting and appropriate:  The UND Fighting Englestads!  Is there anything more perfect?

Yeah there is something more perfect:  FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

NBE, you're out of order!!!

how do you figure he is out of order, he is just stating the obvious. the truth is there isnt any nickname that anybody can think of that would be better than FIGHTING SIOUX.-

Ok, you tell me why it is so much better?  I mean you tell me how you justify the use!  Because it has been used for so many years?  Well not good enough. 

The Obvious would be to change it!  People, including myself, are offended!  :buttkick:

I am offended by your animated smiley faces.  Does not mean that they should be dropped.

I am offended at the fact you are ignorant and throw out random crap like that!  So will you go away?
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Tue May 08, 2007 1:31 pm

I still think it should be the UND "Figthing Caucasians". If you Natives don't want a school named after you then I don't think any of the whites will mind. Nothing offensive about "Figthing Caucasians" just like there isn't anything offensive about "Fighting Sioux".

Like I said before. The term "Fighting Sioux" is not a term used to insult Natives therefore it shouldn't be insulting.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Roughrider » Tue May 08, 2007 2:44 pm

baller01 wrote:I still think it should be the UND "Figthing Caucasians". If you Natives don't want a school named after you then I don't think any of the whites will mind. Nothing offensive about "Figthing Caucasians" just like there isn't anything offensive about "Fighting Sioux".

Like I said before. The term "Fighting Sioux" is not a term used to insult Natives therefore it shouldn't be insulting.

very well said man, i applaud you for saying that. its exactly what i have been thinking.
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Tue May 08, 2007 2:47 pm

Roughrider wrote:
baller01 wrote:I still think it should be the UND "Figthing Caucasians". If you Natives don't want a school named after you then I don't think any of the whites will mind. Nothing offensive about "Figthing Caucasians" just like there isn't anything offensive about "Fighting Sioux".

very well said man, i applaud you for saying that. its exactly what i have been thinking.

here is the problem with it though you might not mean to insult someone but you still are and when it is that many people that are insulted it should be changed is a name really worth und being hated by tribes of natives

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue May 08, 2007 2:49 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:
Wild Wolves wrote:

well if you read closely, in the not so finely printed underneath that website, I said it was a timeline.  This fight has not just started.  It has been going on 35 years now!

You stated that the fight against UND has been going on since 72, then you stated that Sioux manufacturing was started in 77.  that to me would indicate that the name was taken after the arguement about the "Fight sioux" had started. 
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby nativegolfer » Tue May 08, 2007 3:21 pm

Roughrider wrote:

Well then take your idea to Kupchella or the State Board of Ed.  I'll support it.  You'll probably need to outbid the Englestad's though.  I'm serious you should.  Since most of the student body is caucasion it just makes sense.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Tue May 08, 2007 3:37 pm

Well I'm offended by how some white people are portrayed in movies...always being so nerdy and uncoordinated and being called "white boy"...I WANT THOSE TAKEN OUT OF MOVIES!!! I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS
project-pat

Postby ndfan » Tue May 08, 2007 3:50 pm

[user=790]project-pat[/user] wrote:
Well I'm offended by how some white people are portrayed in movies...always being so nerdy and uncoordinated and being called "white boy"...I WANT THOSE TAKEN OUT OF MOVIES!!! I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS

why?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Tue May 08, 2007 3:52 pm

ndfan wrote:[user=790]project-pat[/user] wrote:

why?

I find it disrespectul and stereotypical.....BUT....nothing is going to be changed about it, so i'm going to live with it, which is what you people should do about the fighting sioux.
Last edited by project-pat on Tue May 08, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
project-pat

Postby cdub1 » Tue May 08, 2007 4:54 pm

project-pat wrote:

why?

I find it disrespectul and stereotypical.....BUT....nothing is going to be changed about it, so i'm going to live with it, which is what you people should do about the fighting sioux.

im wondering about this is it possible to make them change it because they have freedom of speech?

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Tue May 08, 2007 4:57 pm

cdub1 wrote:
project-pat wrote:

why?

im wondering about this is it possible to make them change it because they have freedom of speech?

well they should have the freedom to choose whatever nickname they want...THEY ARE NOT DOING IT TO BE DISRESPECTFUL, THEY ARE HONORING NATIVE AMERICANS
project-pat

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges