Craig Smith gonzo

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby cubsfan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:51 pm

I just got word that Craig Smith is headed off to Colorado to assistant coach for Tim Miles.  I would like to wish him good luck as he ventures off and thank him for the memories he has made at Mayville State over these last 3 years.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:51 pm

Great move for Smith, I wish both of them the best of luck.  Two quality people and quality coaches.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:51 pm

A really good opportunity for him, that's gonna be a fun program to keep your eye on.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:52 am

anyone seen anything official on this? Nothing in the Forum this morning or Grand Froks Herald on the web
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:47 pm

Congrats to Smith, well deserved this will be his big break to do bigger and better things in the future.

My question is whose next at Mayville State??? It's been a good job if your looking to move up to the next level.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:51 pm

i haven't every really understood what the appeal of that job is. but it really seems to be a great springboard and they have had some great minds come down the pipe. any ideas on possible replacements, be it an assistant, someone else fromt he community or an outsider?
rep

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:05 pm

i saw today on espn that one of the colorado state players declared for the draft early....but wont hire an agent
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:22 pm

The Schwab wrote:i saw today on espn that one of the colorado state players declared for the draft early....but wont hire an agent

smart. if you don't like where you go, head back to college for a year. i am not exactly a great colorado state basketball mind...did they have anyone of note on their team?
rep

Postby point/center » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:12 am

I think the guy's name was Jason Smith. 7' tall and lead team in scoring and rebounding both years...will be interesting to see if/where he's drafted and if he does go.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:28 am

sounds like he' s the man....maybe a looksy at kevin forde?

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:46 am

We all hope Coach Johnson gets the job.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:21 pm

Sounds like they lost the Moe kid from Park River now that Smith is gone. Not something you like to hear if your a Mayville State fan.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:30 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:We all hope Coach Johnson gets the job.

I personally don't want him to get the job.  It's nothing personal but he has absolutely no head coaching experience.   I will go out on a limb and say that if he is hired the Comets will not finish higher than fourth and will lose in the first round of the dac 10 playoffs. 
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:57 pm

Mayville will be the most prepared team next year because Coach Johnson does all the scouting for other teams and prepares the teams defensive strategy by watching the other teams offense so MSU's players know where their opposition is going before they go there.  They will likely bring in many recruits over the summer and I'm sure after finishing second in the Nation there will be some appeal for Juco's and other High School players to come here and play.  I don't think I'd put the Comets down for the count just yet it depends on how good of recruiting they do.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PA42 » Tue May 22, 2007 6:51 am

Craig Smith was an excellent coach there is no way you can deny it. but the only weak was that he did not recruit many freshman so you knew whenever the time came that their would not be much left. RIght now it sounds like they have had some trouble recruiting and if they don't get some jucos they will be in trouble. COming back they have benjamin and gilot are good role players at best. Evenson will start and do fine. Gathman and a couple other guys come back but for the most part they have little expierence. So i am a little worried about the comets next year.
PA42

Postby cubsfan » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:31 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Mayville will be the most prepared team next year because Coach Johnson does all the scouting for other teams and prepares the teams defensive strategy by watching the other teams offense so MSU's players know where their opposition is going before they go there.  They will likely bring in many recruits over the summer and I'm sure after finishing second in the Nation there will be some appeal for Juco's and other High School players to come here and play.  I don't think I'd put the Comets down for the count just yet it depends on how good of recruiting they do.
They could be the most prepared team in the world but with the talent they have coming back-which is none-and I have yet to hear of anybody who has signed.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges