University of Jamestown

No smack talk is allowed here.

University of Jamestown

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:04 pm

While watching the Jimmies and the Vikings FB game on BEK last week the announcers said that Jamestown is looking at going DII and joining the NSIC. Is this something they are looking at for next year or a few years down the road? It would take some rearranging for the NSIC in men's and women's BB as far as travel partners go. Right now Minot and U of Mary are travel partners and MSU-M and Northern are travel partners and I am guessing one of them would be split up and matched with Jamestown. I know the Jimmie VB program is top notch and men's BB has been very solid as well (we'll see what happens this year) but can football compete at the DII level? What about women's BB? {I am not a follower of Jimmie athletics so my knowledge may be wrong} It would be interesting to see if Dickinson State would move up as well or if they would be content to stay where they are at. I don't see VCSU or Mayville moving up, but I could be completely wrong about that.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: University of Jamestown

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:52 pm

Sportsrube wrote:While watching the Jimmies and the Vikings FB game on BEK last week the announcers said that Jamestown is looking at going DII and joining the NSIC. Is this something they are looking at for next year or a few years down the road? It would take some rearranging for the NSIC in men's and women's BB as far as travel partners go. Right now Minot and U of Mary are travel partners and MSU-M and Northern are travel partners and I am guessing one of them would be split up and matched with Jamestown. I know the Jimmie VB program is top notch and men's BB has been very solid as well (we'll see what happens this year) but can football compete at the DII level? What about women's BB? {I am not a follower of Jimmie athletics so my knowledge may be wrong} It would be interesting to see if Dickinson State would move up as well or if they would be content to stay where they are at. I don't see VCSU or Mayville moving up, but I could be completely wrong about that.

Per travel partner talk
Someone in the NSIC will also have to go to the South Division from the North...if Jamestown is approved, they'd be in the North Division (Upper Iowa has left and was in the South Division).

My guess would be that SCSU or Northern State would move to the South Division; either school going down would then allow MSUM & Jamestown could travel together and Duluth gets paired with the remaining north division school.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Mandan » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:17 pm

I would say no, Jamestown football cannot compete at a D2 level without a lot of changes. Mary had a perennial playoff football team in the NAIA, and look where they are now. (lucky to win 2 games in a year, if you don't follow the Northern Sun very closely) Minot was usually .500 if not in the top half of the old NDCAC and DAC as well, and they struggle in D2 as bad as Mary is.

Dickinson State is content in the NAIA right now, and I've heard no talk of any kind of them wanting to move up. They do well in football in the regular season, but still struggle in the playoffs against the top teams.

In my opinion, the NAIA is where a lot of these schools like Mary and Minot belong (and even Crookston), not D2. But the NCAA name still is attractive to certain people, so if you get the right President and Athletic Director together at a school, they move that way even if it is not the best decision long term.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:44 pm

If you're Minot, Mary, or Jamestown (potentially) what is the benefit of playing D2 over NAIA?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:17 am

Mandan wrote:I would say no, Jamestown football cannot compete at a D2 level without a lot of changes. Mary had a perennial playoff football team in the NAIA, and look where they are now. (lucky to win 2 games in a year, if you don't follow the Northern Sun very closely) Minot was usually .500 if not in the top half of the old NDCAC and DAC as well, and they struggle in D2 as bad as Mary is.

Dickinson State is content in the NAIA right now, and I've heard no talk of any kind of them wanting to move up. They do well in football in the regular season, but still struggle in the playoffs against the top teams.

In my opinion, the NAIA is where a lot of these schools like Mary and Minot belong (and even Crookston), not D2. But the NCAA name still is attractive to certain people, so if you get the right President and Athletic Director together at a school, they move that way even if it is not the best decision long term.

I agree with everything you posted. I have heard that Jamestown is looking at the move due to the large distances they travel in their current NAIA Conference. Why they aren't in the same conference as Mayville, Valley, and Dickinson is a mystery to me.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Mandan » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:31 pm

Sportsrube wrote:I agree with everything you posted. I have heard that Jamestown is looking at the move due to the large distances they travel in their current NAIA Conference. Why they aren't in the same conference as Mayville, Valley, and Dickinson is a mystery to me.

Jamestown has a president/athletic director that wanted to emphasize the "private" school and be in a conference with like-minded schools. They won't have that in D2, and would absolutely be welcomed back into the North Star with Dickinson, Valley City, etc, as that conference only has 5 football schools right now, with Presentation and Iowa Wesleyan no longer having football.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:56 pm

and now the GPAC is kicking them out of the conference.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:31 am

Flip wrote:and now the GPAC is kicking them out of the conference.

I read that this morning. I find that fascinating.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:51 am

The Schwab wrote:

Sure hope, for the athletes' sake, that the move to the NSIC is basically agreed upon already.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:13 am

WalkingStick wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Sure hope, for the athletes' sake, that the move to the NSIC is basically agreed upon already.

Do they join the North Star for a year before their transition if they are accepted to DII and the NSIC?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:15 am

My guess is that they will be NAIA independent next year regardless of what the NSIC and NCAA say. If they are denied by either the NSIC or the NCAA my guess is they would end up in the NorthStar again. I think the GPAC was looking at this regardless of UJ's looking at leaving the conference when they accepted Waldorf into the GPAC.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:55 am

I do not see Jamestown being competitive in the NSIC. I think their best move is to swallow their pride and return to the NorthStar. I believe their are a couple of schools (Vitterbo and Waldorf) looking to leave the NorthStar so they would be looking to add a team or two.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:59 am

Sportsrube wrote:I do not see Jamestown being competitive in the NSIC. I think their best move is to swallow their pride and return to the NorthStar. I believe their are a couple of schools (Vitterbo and Waldorf) looking to leave the NorthStar so they would be looking to add a team or two.

Waldorf was added to the GPAC a few weeks ago...they were the GPAC's replacement team.

There's a lot of non-competitive teams in the NSIC right now that they could join (Crookston, Mary, Minot State, etc.). I think this is being driven by Hockey and you can't be in DI hockey and be an NAIA school...so they have to make the move to the NCAA level to become DI. (again, I said I believe...I do not know for sure if that's it or how that works; seems plausible)

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Mandan » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:52 am

Waldorf leaving the North Star is a huge blow, because that leaves 4 football teams. They lost Presentation and Iowa Wesleyan before this season started. Jamestown coming back would get them to 5, but that is still not enough for the conference to keep their automatic playoff qualifier beyond next season, as they have two years (2023 and 2024) to get to six. So all teams are exploring their options, which could be the Frontier for Dickinson St and D3 for Mayville. Jamestown could very well schedule all the current North Star teams next year if they have available games, but the conference itself is a goner unless they can find more teams that play football to join the conference. Those teams are not out there, unless you can convince some area D3 or D2 teams to move to the NAIA.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:25 am

My two cents but I don't think Mayville would get accepted into the MIAC. They don't offer enough sports and they are nothing like MIAC schools academically.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mandan » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:05 pm

If Mayville goes D3, I assume they'd try for UMAC. That conference isn't as picky, and it looks like they have only 6 football schools so I bet they'd accept any schools that want to join.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:42 pm

Mandan wrote:If Mayville goes D3, I assume they'd try for UMAC. That conference isn't as picky, and it looks like they have only 6 football schools so I bet they'd accept any schools that want to join.

Lots of travel in the UMAC for football (two bottom teams are from IL & MO) but not as much travel for the other sports as it's Iowa, Minnesota & Wisconsin for team locations

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:28 am

Mandan wrote:Waldorf leaving the North Star is a huge blow, because that leaves 4 football teams. They lost Presentation and Iowa Wesleyan before this season started. Jamestown coming back would get them to 5, but that is still not enough for the conference to keep their automatic playoff qualifier beyond next season, as they have two years (2023 and 2024) to get to six. So all teams are exploring their options, which could be the Frontier for Dickinson St and D3 for Mayville. Jamestown could very well schedule all the current North Star teams next year if they have available games, but the conference itself is a goner unless they can find more teams that play football to join the conference. Those teams are not out there, unless you can convince some area D3 or D2 teams to move to the NAIA.

I don't think Dickinson State would want to go the Frontier route again. They tried that a few years ago and it wasn't successful for them.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mandan » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:20 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Mandan wrote:Waldorf leaving the North Star is a huge blow, because that leaves 4 football teams. They lost Presentation and Iowa Wesleyan before this season started. Jamestown coming back would get them to 5, but that is still not enough for the conference to keep their automatic playoff qualifier beyond next season, as they have two years (2023 and 2024) to get to six. So all teams are exploring their options, which could be the Frontier for Dickinson St and D3 for Mayville. Jamestown could very well schedule all the current North Star teams next year if they have available games, but the conference itself is a goner unless they can find more teams that play football to join the conference. Those teams are not out there, unless you can convince some area D3 or D2 teams to move to the NAIA.

I don't think Dickinson State would want to go the Frontier route again. They tried that a few years ago and it wasn't successful for them.

They probably don't really want to, but definitely are exploring all the possibilities. (Let's just say this is not just speculation by me, I've heard this first-hand.) Would the independent world be better? That is the question, and the only two choices if they can't find other teams to join the North Star. Plus, from a football standpoint, the last try in the Frontier was still with Hank Biesiot and his offense from the 70s, so they would be in better position to compete with the current coaching staff.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:51 am

Pretty bold take calling out a guy with 258 career NAIA wins. Giving up 34.5 ppg year one and 46.6 ppg year two in frontier conference games probably had more to do with it than the offense. DSU has had success in the DAC/NorthStar because of their ability to pull guys from eastern MT. Unfortunately for them, the members of the Frontier pull better guys from MT.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:06 pm

Jimmies to the North Star for next season. Announced today.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:09 pm

Now the Men's basketball coach has resigned.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:03 pm

Flip wrote:Now the Men's basketball coach has resigned.

As of about an hour ago, the interim coach that took his place also resigned, per Dom Izzo.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:25 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
Flip wrote:Now the Men's basketball coach has resigned.

As of about an hour ago, the interim coach that took his place also resigned, per Dom Izzo.

Yep. Former Strasburg Clipper legend, Greg Ulland, is going to take over. What a mess.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bingobangobongo » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:33 pm

What is going on over there? Tipoff for their 1st conference game of the season is in about 3 hours.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges