NDSU v Kansas State this Saturday

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby flatlander » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:46 am

Kind of cool that NDSU is getting a home game against a Big 12 team.

Opportunities like this don't come around very often. It will be a historic landmark for both NDSU and the state if the Bison can beat a Big 12 team. Heck, two years ago most people were saying that NDSU would never be able to be competitive. Three years ago they were saying that NDSU would never get a home game against a team like Kansas State.

Even if NDSU continues their habit of beating top-ranked teams, getting a Big 10 or Big 12 team to come to play in the state is not going to be something that happens a lot. Man, I wish I could see this one. Anybody going?
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby tcbison » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:24 am

flatlander wrote:Kind of cool that NDSU is getting a home game against a Big 12 team.

Opportunities like this don't come around very often. It will be a historic landmark for both NDSU and the state if the Bison can beat a Big 12 team. Heck, two years ago most people were saying that NDSU would never be able to be competitive. Three years ago they were saying that NDSU would never get a home game against a team like Kansas State.

Even if NDSU continues their habit of beating top-ranked teams, getting a Big 10 or Big 12 team to come to play in the state is not going to be something that happens a lot. Man, I wish I could see this one. Anybody going?

I will have to watch this one on Go Bison All Access. NDSU's slogan has been Bring on the competition!
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby project-pat » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:02 am

It will be a good matchup and if they win I will not be surprised if they start to get Top 25 votes.
project-pat

Postby baseball » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:03 am

im actually goin to predict a Bison double digit win.  K-State hasnt impressed me all that much so far this season getting blown out by California and New Mexico.  should be a good game but i expect a Bison win....and as far as to say Top25 votes, its might be a little early for that.  If they can put a streak together and win every game up until Iowa State and then perhaps win that one, then Top25 votes wouldnt be a fluke.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby digger » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:38 am

I was disapointed to hear that K-State's freshmen phenom Bill Walker won't be eligible until mid December.  6'6" 220, heavily recruited by UConn, Syracuse, Texas, etc.  All the recruiting gurus had him as a top 5-10 player in this year's freshman class, thought to be a one and done guy, NBA next year.  He's at K-State because of his ties to Huggins while Huggins was still at Cincinatti.  It would have been fun to see him at the BSA.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:33 pm

digger wrote:I was disapointed to hear that K-State's freshmen phenom Bill Walker won't be eligible until mid December.  6'6" 220, heavily recruited by UConn, Syracuse, Texas, etc.  All the recruiting gurus had him as a top 5-10 player in this year's freshman class, thought to be a one and done guy, NBA next year.  He's at K-State because of his ties to Huggins while Huggins was still at Cincinatti.  It would have been fun to see him at the BSA.

Yeah too bad he isnt elligible yet, in actuality he is a senior in hs but decided to go to college early cuz he graduated early, but you prolly knew that anyway. 
Last edited by Ming01 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby tcbison » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:26 am

NDSU is ranked 22 in the mid-major poll.

I don't see them making the Top 25 poll.  The strength of schedule will keep them out of that. They would have to run the schedule to get a look at that poll.

My opinion is the strength of schedule(RPI) is very difficult for a team like NDSU. Other than K-State there won't be many big names coming to Fargo or wanting to put NDSU on their schedule. Next year the Mid-Con will really help and maybe they could start playing some games against the Missouri Valley Conference.
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:49 pm

NDSU gave up their double digit lead late in the 2nd half and didnt play near as well as the 1st half.  Woodside got hammered on a last second three and no call, the KSU guy might as well of punched him, it was that bad.  KSU snuck away with a 83-81 win.  Woodside had something like 31 pts.
Last edited by Ming01 on Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby flatlander » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:12 pm

NDSU seems to have an easier time playing the role of underdog... that's probably the sign of a young team.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:08 pm

flatlander wrote:NDSU seems to have an easier time playing the role of underdog... that's probably the sign of a young team.

every team has an easier time becuase you have nothing to lose if you do lose.  it doesnt mean its a sign of a young team.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby flatlander » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:35 am

baseball wrote:
flatlander wrote:NDSU seems to have an easier time playing the role of underdog... that's probably the sign of a young team.

every team has an easier time becuase you have nothing to lose if you do lose.  it doesnt mean its a sign of a young team.

Uh, if the underdog has an easier time, shouldn't the underdog be the favorite?  Now there's a paradox for you! :)

NDSU was the favorite for a reason - being a better team is supposed to be more of an advantage than being able to play loose. Personally, I think that veteran teams have an easier time focusing on what they need to do to leverage their advantages. If NDSU is going to get to the next level, they have to beat the teams they are supposed to beat (e.g. Minnesota and Kansas State). The team showed some strides against Kansas State after looking like deer in headlights against the Gophers - to me, that's a sign that they're maturing.

I've seen a lot of championship teams come through NDSU. The veteran teams have always been better at leveraging their advantages to crush weaker opponents - especially at home. That was my point.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:43 am

flatlander wrote:
baseball wrote:

Uh, if the underdog has an easier time, shouldn't the underdog be the favorite?  Now there's a paradox for you! :)

i didnt say the underdog was supposed to win.  the fact is that if your the underdog you have nothing to lose so you just go out and play. if you lose o well you were supposed to.  if you win your a hero.

And if i read right, YOU are the one who said its easier being the underdog in your first post.....
Last edited by baseball on Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby flatlander » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:52 pm

I don't want to start a big thing... here's what I was trying to say: Veteran teams do what it takes to win, regardless of whether they are favorites or not. Young teams sometimes get starry-eyed. That's all. NDSU is a young program and a young team. They will start winning this type of games (games in which they are the favorites even when the school they are playing against is from a "power" conference).
Last edited by flatlander on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby gabe » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:58 pm

tcbison wrote:NDSU is ranked 22 in the mid-major poll.

I don't see them making the Top 25 poll.  The strength of schedule will keep them out of that. They would have to run the schedule to get a look at that poll.

My opinion is the strength of schedule(RPI) is very difficult for a team like NDSU. Other than K-State there won't be many big names coming to Fargo or wanting to put NDSU on their schedule. Next year the Mid-Con will really help and maybe they could start playing some games against the Missouri Valley Conference.

The Bison strength of schedule is tough if you inlcude Iowa State, but the rest of games are much easier. I mean, they've beaten #8 Marquette, Princeton and lost a really close game to Bobby Knight and Texas Tech. Then lost 2 games to Kansas State and Minnesota. I think they really got ripped of against Kansas State.

Not to mention the same group of kids beat #10 Wisconisn last year!

If they beat Iowa State, they will be 4-3 against the big dogs and easily could have been 6-1. This team is for real and can beat anyone right now. The scary part, it's a YOUNG TEAM!

Marquette beat Duke. NDSU beat Marquette. I just love sayin' that!!

Also... if you were at that sold out game the atmosphere was big time and electric!
Last edited by gabe on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gabe

Postby Ming01 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:38 am

NDSU does indeed need a new arena.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby BisonFan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:44 am

NDSU should have won that game walking away.  Its easy to blame the refs for not calling a foul on woodside at the buzzer, but look how many times they went to the line and didnt convert. 
I like your style...
BisonFan
NDPreps Rookie

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges