Last Year's North Dakota Boys HS Basketball Players in Colle

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby ND_SportsNut » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:19 am

Lets hear about any of last years boys HS basketball players playing basketball in college this year.  I've been watching Travis Mertens here at LRSC and he is averaging 20 pts and 10 boards in 5 games. I saw LR play Mayvilles JV on tuesday and mayville had Ethan Evenson , Nick Bata and Micah Berge.  Berge looked really good, hit a lot of threes. Hows Voth look at NDSCS? How do the ton of kids who went to Jamestown look? I'll get to see their JV when they come to LR tonight. Any insight on these and other players at other colleges would be good.
Last edited by ND_SportsNut on Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ND_SportsNut

Postby Diamond D » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:40 am

Great post SportsNut!  I watched Travis on Tuesday as well.  He is just so much quicker on his feet playing at a higher level.  Bergee had a great game as well for Mayville.  He shot the lights out there for a while.

Travis also had an incredible dunk earlier in the game by a nice lob from Grand Forks native Ryan Swallow.

The game should be a good one tonight!

Good luck to all the ND ballers out there at the collegiate level.
Diamond D

Postby hoopsstar2391 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:10 am

Where is Payton Tivis from Bowman playing at.  How is he doing.
hoopsstar2391
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby project-pat » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:52 pm

Payton is currently at Brookings, South Dakota and he's not playing basketball
project-pat

Postby baseball » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:03 pm

project-pat wrote:Payton is currently at Brookings, South Dakota and he's not playing basketball

He IS playing....just a redshirt this season.  team has 8-9 gaurds so he felt that if he waited a year his playing time would be better next year
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Diamond D » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:45 am

Mertens looked extremely tough last night in the Devils Lake Sportscenter.  He is much quicker and strong than he ever was in high school. 

If you haven't had a chance to watch this Lake Region team, you need to come over for a game.  The intensity is incredible and with a ballhandler like Marlo Davis, a trey shooter like Justin Thomas, a local GF Central player Ryan Swallow, added with a guy who is almost 7' tall with the current Mr. Basketball and you have an exciting team to watch.

Diamond D

Postby project-pat » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:05 am

baseball wrote:He IS playing....just a redshirt this season.  team has 8-9 gaurds so he felt that if he waited a year his playing time would be better next year

woah, settle down. A friend of his told me that he was sick of basketball and not playing at all. Don't fly of the handle, jeez. And I also checked and he wasn't even on the roster so slow your role, boy.
project-pat

Postby baseball » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:57 am

project-pat wrote:
baseball wrote:He IS playing....just a redshirt this season.  team has 8-9 gaurds so he felt that if he waited a year his playing time would be better next year

woah, settle down. A friend of his told me that he was sick of basketball and not playing at all. Don't fly of the handle, jeez. And I also checked and he wasn't even on the roster so slow your role, boy.

i capitalized "IS" to prevent confusion and perhaps a misread that he is indeed playing.....a friend of his may have told you that,  BUT i am his friend and he told me directly that he is a redshirt this year so ill take his word over something his friend told you.....so slow your role "boy".
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND_SportsNut » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:31 am

Diamond D wrote: 

Mertens looked extremely tough last night in the Devils Lake Sportscenter.  He is much quicker and strong than he ever was in high school. 

If you haven't had a chance to watch this Lake Region team, you need to come over for a game.  The intensity is incredible and with a ballhandler like Marlo Davis, a trey shooter like Justin Thomas, a local GF Central player Ryan Swallow, added with a guy who is almost 7' tall with the current Mr. Basketball and you have an exciting team to watch.

Yes that team is tough and they are going to be putting up a lot of points this year. They were up and down the floor all night, beating Jamestown 111-51.  Mertens looks stronger and quicker from last year, definetely playing above the rim more, he's leaving his feet quicker for rebounds and also going in for the one step dunks rather than only on fast breaks. Still putting up the same numbers as in HS. I thought the height difference from HS kids to the college ranks might've slowed him down quite a bit but he has proven that theory wrong.
ND_SportsNut

Postby bballer2 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:35 am

baseball wrote:
project-pat wrote:

i capitalized "IS" to prevent confusion and perhaps a misread that he is indeed playing.....a friend of his may have told you that,  BUT i am his friend and he told me directly that he is a redshirt this year so ill take his word over something his friend told you.....so slow your role "boy".

indeed he is playing "boy"... redshirting a year and south dakota state... tough to play there because it is d1 but il slow my role "boy"
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Diamond D » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:50 am

Couldn't agree more Sportsnut.  If he keeps focussed, UND isn't going to be the only school looking to recruit him in two years.

This is a much quicker faster team than I have seen in a long while. 

So does anyone know where Kyle Hunt ended up?  I know he wanted to go to LRSC as well.

I dont' think he would have been able to play at the level they are playing now.  And wouldnt have played before Marlo, Money, Gannerelli (sp?), or Swallow anyways.

Diamond D

Postby project-pat » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:14 pm

I am also his friend. I've known him my whole life. He's a good kid. And, I haven't talked to him since he left for college so it was an honest mistake. All I did was look off of their team website and he wasnt on the roster. I should've said that "my guess" is that he's not playing but he might of redshirted. I didn't phrase it right. There's no need to have a 20 post argument about this. 
project-pat

Postby baseball » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:56 pm

project-pat wrote:I am also his friend. I've known him my whole life. He's a good kid. And, I haven't talked to him since he left for college so it was an honest mistake. All I did was look off of their team website and he wasnt on the roster. I should've said that "my guess" is that he's not playing but he might of redshirted. I didn't phrase it right. There's no need to have a 20 post argument about this. 

just to finish off this arguement....you were the one that started it by telling me to "slow my role" when i corrected you by saying he is redshirting.......
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:03 pm

yeah sorry about that....i was just messin around...i only said it because you said IS not is. my mistake.
project-pat

Postby ND_SportsNut » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:12 pm

Travis had a big game tonight against United Tribes. Lake Region won 89-79 and Mr. Basketball had 29 points and 16 rebounds with a nice ally-oop 1 handed slam. He continues to average 19.5 points and 10.5 boards through 22 games.
ND_SportsNut

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:52 am

The Forum ran a great picture of him last week going up for a block against the 7 ft. Center from NDScience.

He should get some great DI offers after Lake Region.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges