How will the colleges do?

No smack talk is allowed here.

How will the colleges do?

Postby cmplx6 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:25 am

With all the new 1st year and 2nd year coaches at the colleges I was wondering how everyone thinks these college football teams in ND will do?

NDSU: They will win the National Title
UND: They will get a few playoff wins
U Mary: 1 win and they hire a new coach
Minot State: they will finish with 5 wins, the new coach brings good energy
Dickinson State: their tradition continues and they lose in the second round of the playoffs
Jamestown: They are moving to a new conference, 2nd year coach doesn't make the jump in wins he wants I don't see them getting more than 2 wins
Valley City State: They finish with 7 wins and just miss the playoffs
Mayville State: Their new staff shows how green they are and they gain one win, maybe
Trinity Bible: The new staff is really the old staff, they grab a few wins
Bottineau: They win 8 games, and not a single player from ND sees the field.
NDSCS: They get 1 loss.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Re: How will the colleges do?

Postby Flip » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:07 pm

I had no idea Jamestown had fallen so far. Losing your homecoming game to Presentation has to hurt.
I guess I don't follow much of any of this. Mary had back-to-back 1-10 seasons. Woof.
I'm interested to see how the Hawks do. Bubba's been good for that program.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby hockeynut » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:59 pm

Flip wrote:I had no idea Jamestown had fallen so far. Losing your homecoming game to Presentation has to hurt.
I guess I don't follow much of any of this. Mary had back-to-back 1-10 seasons. Woof.
I'm interested to see how the Hawks do. Bubba's been good for that program.

The Jimmies haven't been good for quite some time now.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mandan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Jamestown's conference move isn't this year, though, it is next year. This year they are still in the North Star.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby hockeynut » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:19 pm

Mandan wrote:Jamestown's conference move isn't this year, though, it is next year. This year they are still in the North Star.

Yep. The loooong bus rides start next season.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cmplx6 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:24 pm

Well, Mayville State is 0-10, and will finish 0-11. Far drop from where Coach Schlieve had them at 7-4 in 2013. How long will Thom last? They haven't really even been competitive.
Aldrich is 2-8 at Minot State, but they are a few scores away from being 4-6 right now or 5-5. I think they are on the right path.
U of Mary is 1-9 and getting blown out, again. About to finish 1-10, again. I will assume that Kotelnicki will be moving on after the season.
Jamestown is going to finish with 3 wins, bringing Kittell's total to 5 in two years. It will be hard to improve on that in the new conference. But I think he will bring things together.

The team that surprises me is UND. They have NFL talent on the roster and I thought for sure they would be in the post season.

Every other school is right where I thought they would be.

Any other thoughts on the ND college football season?
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:40 pm

scc wrote:
cmplx6 wrote:Well, Mayville State is 0-10, and will finish 0-11. Far drop from where Coach Schlieve had them at 7-4 in 2013. How long will Thom last? They haven't really even been competitive.
Aldrich is 2-8 at Minot State, but they are a few scores away from being 4-6 right now or 5-5. I think they are on the right path.
U of Mary is 1-9 and getting blown out, again. About to finish 1-10, again. I will assume that Kotelnicki will be moving on after the season.
Jamestown is going to finish with 3 wins, bringing Kittell's total to 5 in two years. It will be hard to improve on that in the new conference. But I think he will bring things together.

The team that surprises me is UND. They have NFL talent on the roster and I thought for sure they would be in the post season.

Every other school is right where I thought they would be.

Any other thoughts on the ND college football season?

Mayville will finish 0-11, but it's not unrealistic to say they could have ended with a 3-8 record. Their second loss of the year was to the current #16 team in NAIA, and that was by 4 points. Something like 60 players didn't return from last year, so yes, this is a rebuilding season.

You also have to look at their schedule the years they won 6-7 games. Beating Trinity Bible College or Dakota College in Botno aren't exactly at the same caliber at the current schedule and new teams in the conference.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:09 pm

As far as Mayville State goes, being an alumnus of the University I understand how tough it is to be competitive at MaSU. You have to try to recruit kids to come to a town that doesn't have a Wal-Mart or McDonalds. Mayville is no paradise in the winter, better have kids come visit during months that there's not snow on the ground!

I am going to give this coach the benefit of the doubt and give him a couple of years before I say if it's a success or failure. What I like best about what he's done is establishing a staff that has had experiences in all levels of football.

I know that I would like to see more kids from ND on the roster, hopefully they can build a program that talented, local athletes want to come play for. I wish nothing but the best for the Comets.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:36 pm

Mary coach was fired as a previous poster predicted.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:37 pm

Dickinson beat Jamestown 51-0. wow.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:24 pm

Jamestown 1-8
Mary 1-8
Minot 3-6
Dickinson 7-2
Mayville 2-7
NDSU 9-0
UND 5-3
Trinity 3-4
Bottineau 3-5
Wahpeton 8-2

any discussion?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:15 pm

Flip wrote:Jamestown 1-8
Mary 1-8
Minot 3-6
Dickinson 7-2
Mayville 2-7
NDSU 9-0
UND 5-3
Trinity 3-4
Bottineau 3-5
Wahpeton 8-2

any discussion?

My initial reaction - ND is not exactly a "hot bed" of college football. Hard to recruit kids to come and play football when they know what the weather will be like at the end of their season (most years) and ND doesn't produce enough players to make a program competitive on a yearly basis. Trinity Bible College announced that they are dropping their football program so there will be 1 less team in ND next year.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:05 pm

I wonder how Mary and Minot feel about moving to D2. As far as FB goes Mary was always good in FB at the NAIA level and now they win 1 game a year. I also wonder how Jamestown feels about going to a new conference (which makes no sense to me). What happened to their FB team? They used to always be decent.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mandan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:33 pm

Flip wrote:I wonder how Mary and Minot feel about moving to D2. As far as FB goes Mary was always good in FB at the NAIA level and now they win 1 game a year. I also wonder how Jamestown feels about going to a new conference (which makes no sense to me). What happened to their FB team? They used to always be decent.

Jamestown football has had a losing record for 8 of the last 9 years, which makes moving into a conference with a perennial national championship contender (Morningside) stupid (in my opinion). All to be in a Private school conference, rather than with teams they've been with for 100 years. It is because of their previous president, who moved them over and then recently quit. I heard talk that their coaches had mixed reactions, not sure about the fans. They've still done OK in sports other than football, but the extra travel does not make sense if the priority should be the STUDENT athlete.

I can kind of see Mary moving up, as they made noise on a national level in most sports in the NAIA. Only one championship in Women's Basketball, but lots of national tournament appearances in their other sports. But they also moved up before the NCC broke up, so the Northern Sun made sense at that time. For Minot, I never thought it made sense to move up as their athletic programs weren't that great on a national scale.

There are too many university officials in awe of the NCAA name, thinking the grass is greener when it mostly isn't.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Moving up for Minot State and the University of Mary was strictly an ego thing. Neither of them were tearing up the NAIA with any of their sports teams, Mary had a decent run with Women's basketball but that was it. As an alum of Minot State I can honestly say I have become a casual follower of their sports programs simply because they are not competitive at the D2 level. The old DAC was a competitive and fun conference with Minot, Mary, Dickinson, Jamestown, Valley, Mayville and a SD school or two and that's where Minot and U of Mary should have stayed in my opinion. Minot State's men's basketball team used to be full of Class B and Class A kids from ND who were competitive at the NAIA level and the Dome would have great crowds for every home game (under Coach Limke in the 1980's) but now they don't draw very well at all except for a few "big" games every year. Going back to NAIA would benefit every sports program at Minot State and U of Mary, again, just my opinion.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:43 pm

Sportsrube wrote:Moving up for Minot State and the University of Mary was strictly an ego thing. Neither of them were tearing up the NAIA with any of their sports teams, Mary had a decent run with Women's basketball but that was it. As an alum of Minot State I can honestly say I have become a casual follower of their sports programs simply because they are not competitive at the D2 level. The old DAC was a competitive and fun conference with Minot, Mary, Dickinson, Jamestown, Valley, Mayville and a SD school or two and that's where Minot and U of Mary should have stayed in my opinion. Minot State's men's basketball team used to be full of Class B and Class A kids from ND who were competitive at the NAIA level and the Dome would have great crowds for every home game (under Coach Limke in the 1980's) but now they don't draw very well at all except for a few "big" games every year. Going back to NAIA would benefit every sports program at Minot State and U of Mary, again, just my opinion.

Women’s Cross Country is about the only sport that is highly competitive in D2 for Mary right now
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:45 pm

Dakota College at Bottineau announced today that they are dropping their football program. I thought it was ridiculous when they started it. The cost of travel was never going to pencil out.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:14 pm

I know it's not ND, but Minnesota-Crookston and St. Cloud State also dropped their football programs.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:15 am

Sportsrube wrote:I know it's not ND, but Minnesota-Crookston and St. Cloud State also dropped their football programs.

So did:
Northland CTC (MN)
Dakota College at Bottineau (ND)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:40 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:I know it's not ND, but Minnesota-Crookston and St. Cloud State also dropped their football programs.

So did:
Northland CTC (MN)
Dakota College at Bottineau (ND)

I had posted earlier about DAC Bottineau, and that one doesn't surprise me. They did not have a single player from ND this year and for the past 2 - 3 years most of the Sophomore players left school right after the FB season ended so it was affecting graduation rates and other things. When you figure in those issues with the high cost of travel for them, FB makes no sense.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Mandan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:48 pm

Trinity Bible College is also dropping football.

https://www.tbclions.com/general/2019-2 ... 1030r2vl9p
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:06 pm

Mandan wrote:Trinity Bible College is also dropping football.

https://www.tbclions.com/general/2019-2 ... 1030r2vl9p

Yeah, I posted that back in November.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:14 pm

is it crazy to think Mayville would drop football?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:43 am

scc wrote:
Flip wrote:is it crazy to think Mayville would drop football?

It's crazy for two reasons.

- North Star won't allow it.

- It'd be a big hit to on-campus enrollment numbers.

Agreed that the North Star won't allow it and the numbers drop reasoning, but I find it interesting that there are 53 players listed on Mayville's FB roster and 51 players listed on their baseball roster.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:08 pm

scc wrote:
Flip wrote:is it crazy to think Mayville would drop football?

It's crazy for two reasons.

- North Star won't allow it.

- It'd be a big hit to on-campus enrollment numbers.

I had no idea if was possible. I was just wondering.

Another question: is that much harder to be good at FB in Mayville compared to Valley City?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges