class b golf

All other important sports and activities.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby rep » Wed May 17, 2006 12:19 pm

with the state tournaments coming up (may 30 and 31 in jamestown for both the boys and the girls i believe) what is the landscape of class b golf?

are there any teams that have really stood out? any individuals? any legit darkhorses?

about the only thing thing i know about class b golf this year is that oak grove won the region 2 tournament and had something like four or five of the top 10 scores. mpcg and carrington also qualified for state in region 2.
rep

Postby gmac90 » Thu May 18, 2006 5:32 pm

Team-wise, Fargo Oak Grove has a strangle hold on the State Championship. They have dominated all year long, and will do so again at the State Tourney. Hazen is probably the best team out of the west.

Individually, Justin Jenkins and Kyle Vandevoort of Fargo Oak Grove are both former State Champions and have an excellent chance to win again.  Out of the West, defending State Champion Travis Alkire of Standing Rock, Garrett Schultz of New Salem, and Jacob Wheeling of Killdeer are the top contenders.
Go Big or Go Home
gmac90
NDPreps Starter

Postby jrh22 » Fri May 19, 2006 7:08 am

Could any Class "B" team place in the top 6 in Class "A" and make it to state?  What are your thoughts.  And by the way Class "A" plays the blue tees at most courses not the easy tees.
jrh22
NDPreps Starter

Postby johnie_23 » Fri May 19, 2006 3:00 pm

trinity placed 5th in the class A meet that they played, and there probably the second or third best team in their region.
johnie_23
NDPreps Rookie

Postby gmac90 » Sat May 20, 2006 6:51 am

Fargo Oak Grove would not only probably place in the top three in the State in Class A, they'd probably win.  You can't say that Class A golfers are better than Class B golfers. I'm pretty sure Justin Jenkins dominates the Big I pretty much every year.

And Class B does play from the back tees sometimes too. And, the winning score for Class A at Prairie West was a 75, and, in same weather conditions, also playing from the tips, the winning score in the Class B tourney, which also happened to be the first one of the year, was a 72.
Go Big or Go Home
gmac90
NDPreps Starter

Postby jrh22 » Sat May 20, 2006 10:13 am

The prairie west tourney was a joke because they airrated the greens 5 days before that tourney.  Which makes it impossible to putt on.  Fargo Oak Grove would not win state and they would have a tough time placing top 3.  Trinity isn't good at all.  Unless taking 5th and losing by 54 shots is good at their home courses.

1. St. Mary's

320/313

2. Century
320/313

3. Bismarck
321/329

4. Minot
329/338

5. Trinity
347/340

6. Dickinson
347/351

7. Williston
354/347

8. Mandan
356/357

9. Beulah
377/358
Last edited by jrh22 on Sat May 20, 2006 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrh22
NDPreps Starter

Postby johnie_23 » Sat May 20, 2006 3:58 pm

are u kidding? oak grove would pound any wda team.
johnie_23
NDPreps Rookie

Postby jrh22 » Sat May 20, 2006 9:19 pm

I know what im talking about and i said that they wouldnt have a chance at STATE. . South would kill them and I dont think they would place top 3 at state.  Class B golf isnt comparable because when they had state at riverwood they played the gold(senior) tees and every pin was in the middle. Same thing at Souris they didnt even play the tips and the pins are never tucked.   
jrh22
NDPreps Starter

Postby gmac90 » Sun May 21, 2006 7:22 am

How can you say Oak Grove wouldn't have a chance? They shoot in the 290's at every meet, whever they go, even on tougher 18 hole courses.

It's just like in every other sport, Class A people are totally delusional and think that just because they come from a larger city, they're automatically better. This is true in team sports, Class B cannot compete with Class A in any team event because of sheer numbers. However, golf, along with sports such as wrestling, are based on individual performances. There are Class B golfers who are just as good as and actually better than the top Class A golfers. Justin Jenkins is a perfect example. Look at his record when he plays in summer tournaments alongside Class A kids. He demolishes them.

If you think that Class B golfers couldn't compete in Class A setups, you're absolutely kidding yourself.
Go Big or Go Home
gmac90
NDPreps Starter

Postby johnie_23 » Sun May 21, 2006 6:05 pm

i do not think you understand how good jenkins, alkire, and wheeling are
johnie_23
NDPreps Rookie

Postby jrh22 » Mon May 22, 2006 4:01 pm

Jenkins is solid.  I'll give him credit where its due.  I've seen him play at the Big I Qualifier and he has an awesome swing and a great short game.  I am actually pulling for him in the State Meet this year. I feel if State would've gone 2 days last year him or Bergland(from beulah) would have won the individual title.
jrh22
NDPreps Starter

Postby Claz B Fan » Tue May 23, 2006 2:11 pm

Oak Grove does have a good all around team with arguably the 1st and 2nd best in state B in Jenkins and Vandevoort, However I feel that South just has too many great golfers for Oak Grove to beat them Shanley also has a good team so I do not think that Oak Grove would win the state A golf tournament.
Last edited by Claz B Fan on Tue May 23, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jrh22 » Tue May 23, 2006 2:31 pm

South is amazing at golf.  I think 2 west teams are better then Shanley though.
jrh22
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Thu May 25, 2006 11:19 am

[align=center][font=Nimrod MT]Qualifying Teams and Individuals[/font][/align]
[align=center][font=Nimrod MT]Girls[/font][/align]
[align=center][font=Nimrod MT]Region I[/font][/align]
[font=Nimrod MT]Teams: LaMoure-Litchville-Marion, Sargent Central-North Sargent, Ashley. [/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Individuals: Krystal Michels, Angela Johnson, Milnor; Hailey Dockter, Linton; Emily Buckeye, Kelle Bacon, Edgeley; Sammie Schmidt, Lidgerwood-Hankinson-Fairmount. [/font]

[align=center][font=Nimrod MT]Region II[/font][/align]
[font=Nimrod MT]Teams: Kindred, Central Cass, Griggs County Central. [/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Individuals: Tara Thompson, Thompson; Kayla Braaten, heather Aune, MPCG; Laura Schumacher, Hillsboro. [/font]

[align=center][font=Nimrod MT]Region III[/font][/align]
[font=Nimrod MT]Teams: Lakota, Cavalier, Langdon. [/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Individuals: Gretchen Trosen, Larimore; Sara Pederson, Cando-Starkweather; Marta Knutson, Hatton-Northwood; Alyssa Johnson, Park River; Aimee Heppner, Munich; Meghan Tweed, Dakota Prairie. [/font]

[align=center][font=Nimrod MT]Region IV[/font][/align]
[font=Nimrod MT]Teams: Harvey, Garrison, Northern Lights. [/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Individuals: Angie Finneseth, Velva; Chelsey Azure, Dunseith; Molly Artz, Westhope-Newburg; Emily Nelson, Bottineau; Kristi Black, Rugby; Dallas Johnson, Leeds. [/font]

[align=center][font=Nimrod MT]Region V[/font][/align]
[font=Nimrod MT]Teams: Hazen, South Heart, Flasher. [/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Individuals: Katie Clayton, Hettinger; Shalayna Barth, Glen Ullin; Steph Lockhart, Bowman; Nicole Aklire, Standing Rock. [/font]

[align=center][font=Nimrod MT]Region VI[/font][/align]
[font=Nimrod MT]Teams: Watford City, Parshall-New Town, Des Lacs-Burlington. [/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Individuals: Whitney Stanley, Ashley Buckmeier, Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood; Krista Lambrecht, Shelby Carlson, Tioga; Julia Larsen, Ray; Jordan Thompson, Meghan Essler, Kenmare; Stacey Berger, Clarissa Westby, Des Lacs-Burlington. [/font]

[align=center][font=Nimrod MT]Boys[/font][/align]
[align=center][font=Nimrod MT]Region I[/font][/align]
[font=Nimrod MT]Teams: Ashley, Sargent Central-North Sargent, Wishek. [/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Individuals: Seth Engberg, Lidgerwood; Dusty Bishop, Tyler Froemke, Lisbon; Brady Fettig, Napoleon; Jason Hoots, Milnor; Alex Dais, Edgeley; Travis Dockter, Linton. [/font]

[align=center][font=Nimrod MT]Region II[/font][/align]
[font=Nimrod MT]Teams: Oak Grove, MPCG, Carrington. [/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Individuals: Andrew Hokanson, Justin Johnson, Kindred; Derek Duckworth, New Rockford; Myles Torgerson, Pingree-Buchanan; Paul Johnson, Central Cass. [/font]

[align=center][font=Nimrod MT]Region III[/font][/align]
[font=Nimrod MT]Teams: Hatton-Northwood, Larimore, Grafton. [/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Individuals: Grant Emerson, J.J. Carik, Cavalier; Steve Halcrow, Drayton-St. Thomas; Ian Myrdal, Park River-Adams-Edmore; Bryan Warner, Marcus Ramsey, North Border; Anthony Roy, Langdon. [/font]

[align=center][font=Nimrod MT]Region IV[/font][/align]
[font=Nimrod MT]Teams: Dunseith, Westhope-Newburg, Minot Ryan. [/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Individuals: Corbretti Parisien, Northern Lights; Eric Herbel, Bottineau; Dan Johnson, Minot Our Redeemer’s; Carl Riemer, Garrison-Max. [/font]

[align=center][font=Nimrod MT]Region V[/font][/align]
[font=Nimrod MT]Teams: Dickinson Trinity, Hazen, New Salem. [/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Individuals: Travis Alkire, Standing Rock; Austin Dufault, Jacob Wheeling, Killdeer; Paul Wollmuth, Michael Sheldon, Washburn; John Barnes, New England; Tyler Erhardt, Aaron Reinke, Center-Stanton; Brandon Schafer, Flasher; Mark Hardy, Beach; Jon Krebs, Devon Schmeling, South Heart-Belfield. [/font]

[align=center][font=Nimrod MT]Region VI[/font][/align]
[font=Nimrod MT]Teams: Parshall-New Town, Stanley, Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood. [/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Individuals: Ryan Seil, Trinity Christian; Casey Askvig, Des Lacs-Burlington. [/font]
rep

Postby Claz B Fan » Thu May 25, 2006 2:53 pm

Thanks for the info rep

Regions 2,5,6 I think are the toughest in Class B Boys looking forward to see how everyone fares next week at state
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Tue May 30, 2006 11:49 am

swung out to the boys golf tourney to see how everything was starting to shake out. oak grove's justin jenkins shot a 71 if memory serves and that was the lowest score by something like five strokes, though only about half the board was completed at that point.
rep

Postby rep » Tue May 30, 2006 4:15 pm

team scores after the first day for the boys...let's just say there have been some computer problems with the girls stuff and it is unknown at this time when they will be fixed...

Fargo Oak Grove 305, Dickinson Trinity 321, New Salem 323, Hazen 326, Hatton-Northwood 334, Ashley 335, Grafton 337, Parshall-New Town 337, Larimore 340, Dunseith 343, Stanley 344, Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood 349, Mayville-Portland-Clifford-Galesburg 352, Sargent Central-North Sargent 361, Carrington 364, Minot Ryan 369, Westhope-Newburg 375, Wishek 388
rep

Postby rep » Tue May 30, 2006 5:13 pm

girls team scores:

Hazen 364, Kindred 366, Watford City 371, Harvey 380, Central Cass 386, Griggs County Central 399, LaMoure-Litchville-Marion-Montpelier 403, Cavalier 417, Lakota 420, Sargent Central-North Sargent 422, Garrison 422, Ashley 425, Northern Lights 427, South Heart 435, Des Lacs-Burlington 435, Flasher 437, Langdon 443, Parshall-New Town 443.
rep

Postby jrh22 » Tue May 30, 2006 6:50 pm

Who are in the top 5 individually?
jrh22
NDPreps Starter

Postby Claz B Fan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:59 am

The Top 5 Individually are:

Justin Jenkins 71 71-142

Travis Alkire 72 76- 148

Seth Engberg 73 76-149 (Missed a Two Footer on 18)

Garret Schultz 77 78-155

Chad Marshall 78 78-156

Congrats to the Oak Grove boys and Justin Jenkins may go down as one of the best golf teams and individuals in B History
Last edited by Claz B Fan on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jrh22 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:10 pm

what tees did they play

jrh22
NDPreps Starter

Postby Claz B Fan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:10 pm

jrh22 wrote:South is amazing at golf.  I think 2 west teams are better then Shanley though.

Well I guess that South and Shanley are the two best..

Congrats to Ben Freeman and the South High golf team
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Other Sports