Jimmer Freddette in the NBA

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Jimmer Freddette in the NBA

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:47 am

What is the rest of the Preps nation feel about Jimmer Freddette in the NBA? I think he'll have a solid career in the NBA but I'm not sure if his game will translate with the same effect. Many thought this about Stephen Curry a few years ago but Curry was much better all-around IMO. Just want to see what others think of the Mormon from BYU.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Re: Jimmer Freddette in the NBA

Postby RunOrDie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:51 pm

From what I've seen he's basically a JJ Reddick type, except not as good. JJ struggled to make it in the pros so I don't know if Jimmer even has a chance. But we'll see how he responds the rest of the season with having starter Davies suspended. In their first game without him they were flat, their season is basically over. Jimmer did have 33 pts 5 reb 6 ast and 4 stl, but they got womped by a team that they should have steamrolled.
"He who has a reason why can bear with almost any how." Nietzsche
RunOrDie
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:02 am

Think a poor man's Adam Morrison.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Woodside » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:34 pm

I think Jimmer can succeed in the NBA, he'll just have to step it up as a ball distributor instead of just being a 3-point machine if he wants to contribute.
Woodside
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:22 pm

Woodside wrote:I think Jimmer can succeed in the NBA, he'll just have to step it up as a ball distributor instead of just being a 3-point machine if he wants to contribute.

Even if his offense is adequate who is he going to guard?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Woodside » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:31 pm

Flip wrote:
Woodside wrote:I think Jimmer can succeed in the NBA, he'll just have to step it up as a ball distributor instead of just being a 3-point machine if he wants to contribute.

See: Stephen Curry.

He's a poor defender also.
Woodside
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:43 am

Woodside wrote:
Flip wrote:

Interesting commet....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:48 am

RunOrDie wrote:From what I've seen he's basically a JJ Reddick type, except not as good. JJ struggled to make it in the pros so I don't know if Jimmer even has a chance. But we'll see how he responds the rest of the season with having starter Davies suspended. In their first game without him they were flat, their season is basically over. Jimmer did have 33 pts 5 reb 6 ast and 4 stl, but they got womped by a team that they should have steamrolled.

JJ's having a pretty nice career with the Magic...so im not sure how he struggled to make it. He'll never be an all-star, but hes still having a successful career. That being said...I think Jimmer is better then Redick....as a college player. but when its all said and done JJ will have had the better pro career. For one simple reason...6'4'' vs. 6'2''. Jimmer is too small to play the 2 and I'm just nto sure how effective he can be running the point at the NBA level.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:01 am

He's stronger and as quick as Jason Williams, shorter than JJ but better all around as a scorer...I think he does fine for a few years, they need to trim body fat like they did to Redick...but he can handle Point, prblem will be defending they will have to put him on the 2.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:48 pm

There are a lot of guys playing in the NBA who have very little interest in defending anyone, ability to do so or not. I see him as a role player coming off the bench to spread the defense and hit some outside shots, much like JJ Reddick. He will probably end up in the D-League for a year or so to improve his point guard skills, which isn't a bad thing. Some NBA teams really use their affiliations with D-League teams to get guys minutes and experience and some don't so it may depend on who drafts him. (I see him as a 2nd round pick)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Woodside » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:55 pm

baseball wrote:
Woodside wrote:
Flip wrote:

Interesting commet....

What part is interesting? The comparison to Curry or the defense?

If you're saying Curry is better than a below-average defender, you're kidding yourself.
Woodside
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baloncesto » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:15 pm

baseball wrote:
RunOrDie wrote:From what I've seen he's basically a JJ Reddick type, except not as good. JJ struggled to make it in the pros so I don't know if Jimmer even has a chance. But we'll see how he responds the rest of the season with having starter Davies suspended. In their first game without him they were flat, their season is basically over. Jimmer did have 33 pts 5 reb 6 ast and 4 stl, but they got womped by a team that they should have steamrolled.

JJ's having a pretty nice career with the Magic...so im not sure how he struggled to make it. He'll never be an all-star, but hes still having a successful career. That being said...I think Jimmer is better then Redick....as a college player. but when its all said and done JJ will have had the better pro career. For one simple reason...6'4'' vs. 6'2''. Jimmer is too small to play the 2 and I'm just nto sure how effective he can be running the point at the NBA level.

I agree. JJ contributes on a nightly basis and is a great shooter. They also always stick him in at the end of a close game because of his free throw shooting
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball18 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:39 am

jj is actually doing pretty decent
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things