the best of all time

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

the best of all time

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:26 am

Sprite Slam Dunk Year-By-Year Winners
2010 -- Nate Robinson, New York
2009 -- Nate Robinson, New York
2008 -- Dwight Howard, Orlando
2007 -- Gerald Green, Boston
2006 -- Nate Robinson, New York
2005 -- Josh Smith, Atlanta
2004 -- Fred Jones, Indiana
2003 -- Jason Richardson, Golden State
2002 -- Jason Richardson, Golden State
2001 -- Desmond Mason, Seattle
2000 -- Vince Carter, Toronto
1997 -- Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers
1996 -- Brent Barry, L.A. Clippers
1995 -- Harold Miner, Miami
1994 -- Isaiah Rider, Minnesota
1993 -- Harold Miner, Miami
1992 -- Cedric Ceballos, Phoenix
1991 -- Dee Brown, Boston
1990 -- Dominique Wilkins, Atlanta
1989 -- Kenny Walker, New York
1988 -- Michael Jordan, Chicago
1987 -- Michael Jordan, Chicago
1986 -- Spud Webb, Atlanta
1985 -- Dominique Wilkins, Atlanta
1984 -- Larry Nance, Phoenix

I watched all of them, I have a hard time with who should of won, some of the years

My all time favorite Dunkee (for lack of a better term) is Vince Carter with a close second, MJ...Granted these are the best of the best and a human highlight reel, it could be the best ever showing up this year???? guess i will have to watch again
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: the best of all time

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:10 am

I'm showing my age here, but Dr. J, even though he never entered the NBA slam dunk contests, players who saw him play in the ABA say he and Connie Hawkins were the best they had ever seen. (NBA & ABA)
From the list of NBA winners I would pick Jordan or Dominique Wilkins.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:00 pm

For dunk contest performance I would say VC
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 pm

Vince Carter GOAT AINEC
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:15 pm

The Schwab wrote:For dunk contest performance I would say VC

Even in the the league night in and night out he was unreal....But combining some power with authority and grace during a game Jordan was the man.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:22 pm

TMac is a guy who never gets the respect he deserved for being a throw down artist.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:20 pm

C'mon guys, how can you not love Spud Webb?!?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:21 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:C'mon guys, how can you not love Spud Webb?!?

Cause he wasn't a great dunker. The only reason his dunks were impressive was because he was 5'6. Other than that, they were nothing special.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:11 pm

The Schwab wrote:TMac is a guy who never gets the respect he deserved for being a throw down artist.

TMac had great hops...he is actually a 1st cousin to Vince Carter (you may have known)...and there was a resemblance to him while throwing it down...agreed
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:53 am

Best one night performance hands down was Vince Carter and his creativity, best rivalry was Jordan and Wilkins, and the greatest of all time was Jordan. In my opinion.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:02 am

The best single dunk of all time, and the one that got 1000's of kids wanting to work on their vertical was Jordan going baseline, getting horizontal, starring at the rim while coming in, floating about 15 feet from start to finish, tongue out and the sending home, thats the signature dunk that nobody could ever emulate and the one that is in millions of posters, I remember seeing it for the 1st time going, "UNREAL!!...thats why they call him AIR"
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:35 pm

winner-within wrote:The best single dunk of all time, and the one that got 1000's of kids wanting to work on their vertical was Jordan going baseline, getting horizontal, starring at the rim while coming in, floating about 15 feet from start to finish, tongue out and the sending home, thats the signature dunk that nobody could ever emulate and the one that is in millions of posters, I remember seeing it for the 1st time going, "UNREAL!!...thats why they call him AIR"

Matter of opinion, personally, I disagree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp6qJ7LZ ... re=related

I'm younger then you, so maybe I dont remember the dunk you're talking about. But it sounds like your combining his free throw dunk with his spin dunk along the baseline on Ewing.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby gobison#6 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:39 pm

I just want to throw this out there because I started watching dunks after I watched baseball's clip he posted on here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozb-h1Kj ... re=related
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:18 am

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:The best single dunk of all time, and the one that got 1000's of kids wanting to work on their vertical was Jordan going baseline, getting horizontal, starring at the rim while coming in, floating about 15 feet from start to finish, tongue out and the sending home, thats the signature dunk that nobody could ever emulate and the one that is in millions of posters, I remember seeing it for the 1st time going, "UNREAL!!...thats why they call him AIR"

Matter of opinion, personally, I disagree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp6qJ7LZ ... re=related

I'm younger then you, so maybe I dont remember the dunk you're talking about. But it sounds like your combining his free throw dunk with his spin dunk along the baseline on Ewing.

free throw dunk didnt do allot for me, Its like Lebron, the one foot jumper just cant make it look as "a matter a fact" thats why he dont enter...Jordan was one of the few, like Vince that could go one foot or two and make it look nasty.....The dunk I am pertaining to was when he beat out Dominic.... Dominic had done a tomahawk and the crowd felt he shoulda won But I was more impressed myself with Jordans Baseline Dunk....you are right he did it in a few games...once against Mutombo....then gave him the NoNoNo with the index finger
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:42 am

Indy5 wrote:

Cause he wasn't a great dunker. The only reason his dunks were impressive was because he was 5'6. Other than that, they were nothing special.

That's exactly why its the most impressive to me. I'm 6'4" and I could barely dunk when I was young and in shape. Having a vertical like Webb is unreal. I'm not in to all the creative dunks, flipping it through the legs, blindfold, spins, etc. I like the power dunks and the free throw line dunks....simple but impressive
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:48 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

That's exactly why its the most impressive to me. I'm 6'4" and I could barely dunk when I was young and in shape. Having a vertical like Webb is unreal. I'm not in to all the creative dunks, flipping it through the legs, blindfold, spins, etc. I like the power dunks and the free throw line dunks....simple but impressive

Spud was a jaw dropper....we may never see anything like it again
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:56 pm

winner-within wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

I would say Nate Robinson is very comparable to Spud.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:02 pm

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

Close, but to much power.....even with a 44 inch vertical 5'5" Spud had to have his timing and foot work right on the money...Nate can adjust if he has to
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:16 pm

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

That's true, I just don't pay attention to the NBA anymore. Haven't watched a slam dunk contest for 20 years and haven't watched the all star game since the last one Magic was in. I might catch a playoff game here and there each season, but that's about it.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:51 pm

This might be a little off subject, but I also feel that Tmac was/is very underrated as a player, not just a dunker.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:26 pm

The Schwab wrote:This might be a little off subject, but I also feel that Tmac was/is very underrated as a player, not just a dunker.

I don't know what happened to t-mac, Injuries that were bothersome or lack of dedication, attitude, not the right setting.... I don't know but I would put him right up with Carmelo when he poured it on...a very good player
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:23 pm

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:This might be a little off subject, but I also feel that Tmac was/is very underrated as a player, not just a dunker.

I don't know what happened to t-mac, Injuries that were bothersome or lack of dedication, attitude, not the right setting.... I don't know but I would put him right up with Carmelo when he poured it on...a very good player

I don't know what it was about Tmac, but I felt he just wasn't a player you could build a championship team around, much like Vince Carter. Great scorer? Yes. I'm not quite sure what it is about him, maybe he controls the ball too much, I don't know. He was a multiple time scoring champ, but on a bad team. He never won a playoff series in his career, and I feel theres a reason.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things