Kobe Bryant

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Kobe Bryant

Postby Flip » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:26 pm

The Schwab wrote:If the 4th year was a team option we wouldn't be having the summer of Lebron...

please explain
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:53 pm

are you talking about on his original deal? Because he renegotiated before the final year of that deal.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:08 pm

The Schwab wrote:are you talking about on his original deal? Because he renegotiated before the final year of that deal.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:36 pm

Flip wrote:
baseball wrote:He's actually turning down the option for a 4th year on his contract extention to become a free agent.

4th year is a team option, player has no control.

Following the 2005-06 season:

At the end of the season, James negotiated a three-year contract extension, with a player option for a fourth year. The contract is worth $60 million and began at the start of the 2007–08 season. Although it is for fewer years and less money than the maximum he could sign, it allows him the option of seeking a new contract worth more money as an unrestricted free agent following the 2010 season
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:51 pm

baseball - my fault I misread your post, I was thinking about his rookie deal. The 4th year of a rookie deal is a team option for 1st round draft picks.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:00 pm

Flip wrote:
The Schwab wrote:are you talking about on his original deal? Because he renegotiated before the final year of that deal.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

I have no idea what I'm talking about?
Do you know what your talking about?
You thought that the Cavs had a team option for next year and turned it down, don't try to call someone else out when you have no idea what's going on.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:11 pm

The Schwab wrote:I have no idea what I'm talking about?
You thought that the Cavs had a team option for next year and turned it down, don't try to call someone else out when you have no idea what's going on.

I never thought the Cavs had a team option for this year. I'll apologize to you too as I thought baseball was talking about his rookie deal.

As far this quote goes though. NBA contracts aren't renegotiable.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:14 pm

Flip wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I have no idea what I'm talking about?

I never thought the Cavs had a team option for this year. I'll apologize to you too as I thought baseball was talking about his rookie deal.

As far this quote goes though. NBA contracts aren't renegotiable.

Well yes I know that they can't technically renegotiate, but after his third year he signed the 3 year extension to start with the 07-08 season
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:56 am

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:his team was bad and so was his coach and he knew it and stayed...WHY?

do you understand what a contract is??

your cant just say "oh, this place is bad, time to leave."

He's actually turning down the option for a 4th year on his contract extension to become a free agent.

He should have hooked up with a great college coach....(he's a big fan and friend of Callipari)... maybe Pitino or... UCONN....Florida..... anywhere....!!!
he would have received more of the grooming it takes to become a champion at an elite level... He wouldn't have had to worry about a contract...2 years of school and more than likely two championships (NCAA) he would have gotten a taste for winning it all (like Jordan)...not for being the best player in the world.
We would have jersey's from his Alma mater....he would have a place to set up scholarships, donate funds.....old friend's.....there would be another place to have a LeBron sighting....I feel he missed an opportunity that would have helped his career a lot more than harmed it!!! that's why some of the best BBall people believe to wait. Then to top it off, when he gets out, maybe a different scenario would have been there in reference to the draft or his future. He now wouldn't have had to worry about saving his home State....which I know he thought he could do (young mind thinking big) regardless of the teammates he was forced to play with or the coach.
Last edited by winner-within on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:36 am

winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:his team was bad and so was his coach and he knew it and stayed...WHY?

He's actually turning down the option for a 4th year on his contract extension to become a free agent.

He should have hooked up with a great college coach....(he's a big fan and friend of Callipari)... maybe Pitino at UCONN....Florida..... anywhere....!!!
he would have received more of the grooming it takes to become a champion at an elite level... He wouldn't have had to worry about a contract...2 years of school and more than likely two championships (NCAA) he would have gotten a taste for winning it all (like Jordan)...not for being the best player in the world.
We would have jersey's from his Alma mater....he would have a place to set up scholarships, donate funds.....old friend's.....there would be another place to have a LeBron sighting....I feel he missed an opportunity that would have helped his career a lot more than harmed it!!! that's why some of the best BBall people believe to wait. Then to top it off, when he gets out, maybe a different scenario would have been there in reference to the draft or his future. He now wouldn't have had to worry about saving his home State....which I know he thought he could do (young mind thinking big) regardless of the teammates he was forced to play with or the coach.

First off, you do know that Pitino coaches at Louisville right?

And I see your line of thinking on going to college and avoiding the Cavs, but hindsight is 20/20. And do you think Garnett and Kobe are total idiots too for not going to college?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:47 am

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:

He should have hooked up with a great college coach....(he's a big fan and friend of Callipari)... maybe Pitino or.... UCONN....Florida..... anywhere....!!!

And I see your line of thinking on going to college and avoiding the Cavs, but hindsight is 20/20. And do you think Garnett and Kobe are total idiots too for not going to college?

Type O on UCONN..........Hind sight is 20/20 but he shoulda talked to Garnett.....nobody is an Idiot...and because Kobe got lucky with Phil and teammates he wins, as far as the HS to NBA goes......Garnett just got rich and I know he wishes he would have went to College now. The Topic is Kobe....and in reference to the Topic we all know he is simply one of the best ever....thats reality not hind sight
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:12 pm

winner-within wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:

He should have hooked up with a great college coach....(he's a big fan and friend of Callipari)... maybe Pitino or.... UCONN....Florida..... anywhere....!!!

Type O on UCONN..........Hind sight is 20/20 but he shoulda talked to Garnett.....nobody is an Idiot...and because Kobe got lucky with Phil and teammates he wins, as far as the HS to NBA goes......Garnett just got rich and I know he wishes he would have went to College now. The Topic is Kobe....and in reference to the Topic we all know he is simply one of the best ever....thats reality not hind sight

So where would you rank Kobe on the "Best Ever list"
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:09 pm

winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:

He should have hooked up with a great college coach....(he's a big fan and friend of Callipari)... maybe Pitino or... UCONN....Florida..... anywhere....!!!

why do you type just to type? you rarely answer questions presented too you, this post a great example.
"do you know what a contract is?
"he should have hooked up with a great college coach..."
what??

give me a list of who you think the 10 best players are in the league...then after you submit it, look at how many went to college. and if they did go to school, how many stayed more then 2 years? LeBron would have had zero benefit from college.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:46 pm

baseball wrote:give me a list of who you think the 10 best players are in the league...then after you submit it, look at how many went to college. and if they did go to school, how many stayed more then 2 years? LeBron would have had zero benefit from college.

I agree with this. In todays game, almost all of the young, up-and-coming future stars don't stay in college for more than a year. The only reason they go is because they have to (unless your Jennings and go to Europe for a year). Look at the names.

Oden(injury killed him, but we thought he was gonna be big)
Durant
Mayo
Rose
Wall(Guess we don't know yet)
Westbrook(Left after sophmore year)
Melo(Rule wasn't in place but I guess we can say he started the trend)
Mike Conley
Brandan Wright
Spencer Hawes
Javaris Crittenton
Thaddeus Young
Dequan Cook
Michael Beasley
Kevin Love
Eric Gordon
J.J. Hickson
Anthony Randolph
Jerryd Bayless
Kosta Koufos
Donte Green
Tyreke Evans
Demar DeRozan
Jrue Holiday
BJ Mullens

There are more I didn't name. These are only first rounders since the rule was implemented. This also doesn't name the slew of one-and-dones coming in this year.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:37 am

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:

why do you type just to type? you rarely answer questions presented too you, this post a great example.
what??

give me a list of who you think the 10 best players are in the league...then after you submit it, look at how many went to college. and if they did go to school, how many stayed more then 2 years? LeBron would have had zero benefit from college.

Talk about never answearing questions at hand....your the big mouth on here that never responds accordingly your constantly trying to jam garbage down someones throat

A contract is... in anything...a commitment....something no 17 year old is ready to do!

"should have hooked up with a good Coach"
If Lebron would have went to College for 2 years he would (and I say this with confidence) have at least 1 NCAA crown...and already at least 2 NBA rings
Because he would have also had 2 years to sit on the sidelines and structure his future in the NBA better, hense the at least 2 rings by now
LeBron James fired the Goodwin brothers as his agent representatives Monday (2005), severing his relationship with the team responsible for structuring more than $120 million in endorsement deals before he ever stepped foot on an NBA court.
why did he fire these guys?????? because he saw their love of $$$$$$$$$$$ (root of all evil).

According to you Kobe is overrated and wouldn't have a ring if it weren't for SHAQ and PHIL....we all know Garnett would have never gotten a ring if it weren't for Danny Ainge and Mchale Banging their heads together and being celt teammates and good friends.
So Maybe Kobe and Garnett should have went to College also....I don't know you tell me!!!!!
OH!!! that's right you don't believe Rings Mean anything when referring to one of the greats.

Tell me why anyone benefits going straight from HS to the NBA and not one year of college STRAIGHT

also out of all the straight from HS to NBA players who by far has been the most successful MMMM! lets see his name starts with a K and this topic is dedicated to him
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:30 pm

winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:

what??

Talk about never answearing questions at hand....your the big mouth on here that never responds accordingly your constantly trying to jam garbage down someones throat

A contract is... in anything...a commitment....something no 17 year old is ready to do!

"should have hooked up with a good Coach"
If Lebron would have went to College for 2 years he would (and I say this with confidence) have at least 1 NCAA crown...and already [b]at least 2 NBA rings[/b]
Because he would have also had 2 years to sit on the sidelines and structure his future in the NBA better, hense the at least 2 rings by now
LeBron James fired the Goodwin brothers as his agent representatives Monday (2005), severing his relationship with the team responsible for structuring more than $120 million in endorsement deals before he ever stepped foot on an NBA court.
why did he fire these guys?????? because he saw their love of $$$$$$$$$$$ (root of all evil).

According to you Kobe is overrated and wouldn't have a ring if it weren't for SHAQ and PHIL....we all know Garnett would have never gotten a ring if it weren't for Danny Ainge and Mchale Banging their heads together and being celt teammates and good friends.
So Maybe Kobe and Garnett should have went to College also....I don't know you tell me!!!!!
OH!!! that's right you don't believe Rings Mean anything when referring to one of the greats.

Tell me why anyone benefits going straight from HS to the NBA and not one year of college STRAIGHT

also out of all the straight from HS to NBA players who by far has been the most successful MMMM! lets see his name starts with a K and this topic is dedicated to him

I completely DISAGREE with the 2 years of college he would have 2 NBA rings.

First of all, he would have been the number 1 pick, no matter which of those 2 years following his draft he would have came out. In 2004 the teams with the 1st and 2nd pick overall were the Magic and the Bobcats, if he would have went the Orlando then they wouldn't have Dwight Howard. He wouldn't win a title with that team. Charlotte is becoming a decent franchise, but he wouldn't have sniffed the finals with them. In 2005 the Bucks had the number 1 pick. If your little "plan" would have panned out I would love hearing your reasoning as to how he would have 2 NBA titles playing in a worse franchise then the one he's part of in Cleveland. I would put KG ahead of Kobe on the "best player straight from high school" discussion, but that's just me, and don't say rings.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:11 pm

from the back to front of you last post

KG over Kobe??? and again Rings don't count...how about Brains then...Lebron and KG had everybody thinking for them...LeBron still does after seven years Kobe obviously had more grooming when it comes to stepping into the PRO world at 18 years old thanks to his Dad

Plan works great...go one year or even two with opt to be traded or free agency....Lower your big EGO and latch on to a team that has the cap room and the right supporting cast....take the pay cut (believe me the endorsements ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) will keep the wolves from the door.
Now embrace the team and the city and get them a championship......Its kinda like this...there have been a lot of players that gave back to their communities and city's and country's after becoming successful and it barely makes a small dent in a huge pond of dysfunction and corruption...LeBron wasted 7 years trying to give the City of Cleavland a crown and has failed. He should have built a couple of playgrounds and called it good.
I will guarantee you he wont be playing in that city next season and if he looks hard at his options and dissects his opportunity...he could put a Ring on each finger of his right or left hand before he is 30.....then all you "ring means nothing smokers" will be saying "Rings are King" pardon the pun :lol:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:06 pm

winner-within wrote:from the back to front of you last post

KG over Kobe??? and again Rings don't count...how about Brains then...Lebron and KG had everybody thinking for them...LeBron still does after seven years Kobe obviously had more grooming when it comes to stepping into the PRO world at 18 years old thanks to his Dad

Plan works great...go one year or even two with opt to be traded or free agency....Lower your big EGO and latch on to a team that has the cap room and the right supporting cast....take the pay cut (believe me the endorsements ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) will keep the wolves from the door.
Now embrace the team and the city and get them a championship......Its kinda like this...there have been a lot of players that gave back to their communities and city's and country's after becoming successful and it barely makes a small dent in a huge pond of dysfunction and corruption...LeBron wasted 7 years trying to give the City of Cleavland a crown and has failed. He should have built a couple of playgrounds and called it good.
I will guarantee you he wont be playing in that city next season and if he looks hard at his options and dissects his opportunity...he could put a Ring on each finger of his right or left hand before he is 30.....then all you "ring means nothing smokers" will be saying "Rings are King" pardon the pun :lol:

I do agree that rings are king, but in Kobe's case for his first 3 he walked into a situation in which any above average shooting guard could have won rings with shaq.

I don't believe you answered my question about how he would have 2 rings if he would have went to 2 years of college and ended up in Milwaukee.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 pm

The Schwab wrote:

I do agree that rings are king, but in Kobe's case for his first 3 he walked into a situation in which any above average shooting guard could have won rings with shaq.

I don't believe you answered my question about how he would have 2 rings if he would have went to 2 years of college and ended up in Milwaukee.

well first things first.....Isn't it Ironic that Shaq (who was notorious at resting during the season...to make a run at each of those five rings) Had an outstanding Guard KOBE-WADE to (IMHO) help him get his ring....
the only big men in the history of the NBA who went out and played 40 some minutes a game day in day out and brought home a ring because of their play were Russel..and Wilt, since then its been a tandem, so throw your "no rings for Kobe without shaq BS" out the window!!! because he's gotten one since...OH YEA but thats because of Phil and Pau

2end-ly its easy!! don't go to Milwaukee..... stand tall.... you've just payed your dues by attending school and passing up on two years and about 200 million dollars and its time to rocket your way to a title and make that income up ten fold.........Milwaukee knows that lebron wont win them a ring....they know they cant afford his contract any way's....so they start wheeling and end up with what makes more sense for their city and team and trade him to....mmmm lets see!! Mavs! (Cuban has way to big of an EGO to pass this up) wherever....all in all it would have been a better career chioce for the King...he knows it and you know it.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:21 pm

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

well first things first.....Isn't it Ironic that Shaq (who was notorious at resting during the season...to make a run at each of those five rings) Had an outstanding Guard KOBE-WADE to (IMHO) help him get his ring....
the only big men in the history of the NBA who went out and played 40 some minutes a game day in day out and brought home a ring because of their play were Russel..and Wilt, since then its been a tandem, so through your "no rings for Kobe without shaq BS" out the window!!! because he's gotten one since...OH YEA but thats because of Phil and Pau

2end-ly its easy!! don't go to Milwaukee stand tall you've just payed your dues by attending school and passing up on two years and about 200 million dollars and its time to rocket your way to a title and make that income up ten fold.........Milwaukee knows that lebron wont win them a ring....they know they cant afford his contract any way's....so they start wheeling and end up with what makes more sense for their city and team and trade him to....mmmm lets see!! Mavs! (Cuban has way to big of an EGO to pass this up) wherever....all in all it would have been a better Life for the King...he knows it and you know it.

Do you remember the years when the great Kobe's Lakers were terrible and he demanded a trade. I can't wait until LeBron pairs with another good player and wins a handful of rings.

You do realize the NBA has a salary scale right? Lebron would have went first and ended up in Milwaukee for 4 years. which would have put him at 2009.

In the summer of 2009 eight teams had cap space.

Memphis- would have had a worse supporting cast then he had in Cleveland
Detroit- pretty decent cast, not sure if they would have gotten past Boston and Orlando, but possible
OKC- Now I know everyone is saying this would have been logical, but if they locked up LeBron they wouldn't be able to lock up Durant, who some experts say they would rather build a franchise around right now instead of LeBron.
Portland- Would have been his best chance at a ring IMO, but Portland gets bit by the injury bug alot.
Toronto- Paired with Calderon and Bosh, prob wouldn't have pulled the trigger because then they couldn't have resigned bosh this off season.
Atlanta- used their cap space to sign Crawford, would have been a good fit, but alot of people say that Atlanta is the most talented team, but can't find a way to play together.
Minnesota- supporting cast would have been awful
Sacramento- same as above.

Now this is all speculation, but it is a speculation in response to the statement "If LeBron would have went to 2 years of college he would have an NCAA title (I agree with that) and at least 2 rings" I can guarantee he would have went number 1, to Milwaukee and won less then he did in Cleveland. And that means he would have had to play with them for the next 4 years (4th year is a team option on rookie deals and no team would decline LeBrons option). So for your statement to come true he would have had to win back to back rings with one of the teams above, possible but not probable.

I would LOVE to see him paired with Dirk (I love dirk) but Mr. Cuban pays Erika Dampier 12 million dollars to struggle and with Dirk pullin down almost 20 million a year they would have had to do some major roster shakeups for it to have been possible for LBJ to go there (Butler, Jkidd and Jason Terry probably).

I'm sure you will tell me how I am wrong, but I feel i covered my arguments fairly well.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:09 pm

I give credit where credit is due....you've done well.....but lets back up to Draft day Which would have been huge.... more huge than even The Diesel himself....and if we are turning back the clock and redoing LeBrons life (which I've enjoyed doing) we have to turn everything back even the fact that Milwaukee wins the Draw....lets assume like when Orlando only had one Ball in the Bingo Cage and they landed Shaq....lets assume that Lebron goes to the Mavs (I'm sure they had at least one Ball in the cage) would have he done better than shaq did for the Magic?? YUP! he would have...which exemplifies 2 of my points....1. we would have never known..it would have had to take place...but I'm still confident LeBron taking 2 years to pan out a plan would have landed him at least 2 rings instead of none in 7 years.....2. Why didn't Shaq win a championship in Orlando if he was the Main reason L.A. got three in a row....Oh yea KOBE!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:26 pm

LeBron could have 7 titles right now and i would still say he is better the Kobe...not because the rings...but beacuse he's simply a better all around basketball player, dont need to state the reasons again.

the more winner-within posts, the more im convinced he has no idea how the NBA works. I'm no genious at the behind the scenes stuff, but reall..."simple, dont go to Milwaukee"....So he going to go to 2 years of school, then tell Milwaukee not to draft him, or if they do they have to trade him (yeah, that would happen). PLEASE...next time you post, atleast have something that a person with average comprehension of how the things work would contribute.

hey...maybe he should just go to Europe and get some championships, thats what its all about!!!
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:40 pm

baseball wrote:LeBron could have 7 titles right now and i would still say he is better the Kobe...not because the rings...but beacuse he's simply a better all around basketball player, dont need to state the reasons again.

NOPE!!! I like watching LeBron (MJ on roids) better than Kobe but this year KOBE is the Better Player and I'll give you some credit, better finisher-Closer (because hes still going in June)...
and when is LeBron going to Dunk Off...and shoot the threes in the same year and win both (all star weekend) or is that just he and his big ego fans blabbin!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:44 pm

winner-within wrote:Why didn't Shaq win a championship in Orlando if he was the Main reason L.A. got three in a row....Oh yea PHIL!!

Fixed your post.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:45 pm

baseball wrote:LeBron could have 7 titles right now and i would still say he is better the Kobe...not because the rings...but beacuse he's simply a better all around basketball player, dont need to state the reasons again.

the more winner-within posts, the more im convinced he has no idea how the NBA works. I'm no genious at the behind the scenes stuff, but reall..."simple, dont go to Milwaukee"....So he going to go to 2 years of school, then tell Milwaukee not to draft him, or if they do they have to trade him (yeah, that would happen). PLEASE...next time you post, atleast have something that a person with average comprehension of how the things work would contribute.

hey...maybe he should just go to Europe and get some championships, thats what its all about!!!

The NBA works best for the player playing if he WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS....that's why every PRO (for his Deeds) wants a ring, ding dong.... do you ever watch an interview or do you just scan stat sheets all day and pick the best on paper??
Last edited by winner-within on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things