Kobe Bryant

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Kobe Bryant

Postby ndfan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:41 am

Dwight Howard gets no love for his two defensive player of the year awards??
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:38 am

baseball wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:in reference to Baseballs Question:

Nice try, but who said you have to be 7 ft tall....when it comes to big men in the middle, in the history of the NBA, PAU is way down on the list...now throw in "superstars" that could help each other win a ring...he falls much further.

Well I think the point he was trying to make was he is a top 3 center in the league right now. 19 and 9 for career averages is pretty darn good.

This guy gets the question. Not that i expect an answer, much like the rest of them. But there aren't 3 C/PFs in the game right now better then Pau. Chris Bosh is probably the only one I think is BETTER and cant argue against it. Carlos Boozer? up there, but no. Amare Stoudamire? same as Boozer. Zach randolph, LaMarcus Aldridge? no, no. Dwight Howard, I say no just because he can only dunk. Tim duncan? on the downslide of his career while Pau is peaking.

I may have underestimated Pau...But Kobe is the reason for Last years Ring...and remember You said he was the best closer...I guess we will see if he can close two in a row at Home...I say he does!!

Taken from Wikipedia:

Gasol is currently in his eighth year in the National Basketball Association (NBA). He is very athletic and quick for a 7-footer, and primarily plays the power forward or center positions. He has often been compared to fellow European players Toni Kukoč and Dirk Nowitzki, holding career averages of 18.8 points and 8.6 rebounds. He is a refined scorer in the post and midrange; his overall game is near-ambidextrous and makes it difficult for opposing teams to defend. Gasol uses a variety of midrange jumpers, hook shots, up-and-under moves, and shot fakes to score very efficiently. In addition, his foot speed relative to his size allows him to run the fast break and finish effectively. He is also a skilled passer for a big man, earning 3.1 assists per game over his career. Defensively, he is an above-average shot blocker with a career average of 1.8 blocks per game. Before being traded to the Los Angeles Lakers during the 2007-08 season, he had played exclusively with the Memphis Grizzlies from 2001-2008. When he was traded to the Lakers, he maintained the same number on his jersey, still playing with the number 16. In his career, Gasol has never been ejected.[36] Gasol scored his 10,000th point in a game against the Jazz on the 2nd of January 2009.[37] He finished with 21 points, 11 rebounds and six assists in the win.[38

and Howard is better than you and Flip and Indy5 think:

Howard has amassed several NBA and franchise records and awards during his NBA career. He has led the league in rebounds per game three times, blocks per game twice, and double-doubles twice. He is also the youngest player in NBA history to reach 1,000, 2,000, 3,000, 4,000, 5,000 and 6,000 career rebounds, and the youngest player in NBA history to lead the league in rebounding and blocks.
[edit] NBA career statistics

:)The Leading rebounding Team has won every Game in this years Final's....... who would you rather have Pau or Howard????
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:37 pm

I'd rather have Pau. He can score. That Wikipedia page proved what I said about Howard. He is a big bruiser who blocks shots and rebounds. He is like Thabeet at UCONN.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:53 pm

Indy5 wrote:I'd rather have Pau. He can score. That Wikipedia page proved what I said about Howard. He is a big bruiser who blocks shots and rebounds. He is like Thabeet at UCONN.

Dwight Howard averages 18, 13 and over 2 blocks a game for his career. Please don't compare him the Hasheem Thabeet, anyone who gets sent down the the D League in favor of Hameed Hadaddi is not a great player.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:15 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Indy5 wrote:I'd rather have Pau. He can score. That Wikipedia page proved what I said about Howard. He is a big bruiser who blocks shots and rebounds. He is like Thabeet at UCONN.

Dwight Howard averages 18, 13 and over 2 blocks a game for his career. Please don't compare him the Hasheem Thabeet, anyone who gets sent down the the D League in favor of Hameed Hadaddi is not a great player.

I meant how Thabeet was at UCONN in college. He obviously hasn't been at all successful after college. In his last year at UCONN he was a force inside. Like Howard is now. They both can mostly only dunk on offense. They both were/are great rebounders and shot blockers.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:39 pm

I gotta call you out on this one Indy...You have (at least 5 times) stated, "all he can do is dunk" .....I dont know if you are incapable of understanding English or if you just scan my post and hurry up and respond with non-sense...You can have Pau, this is his last stand....Howard has a future in the NBA and will end up in the Hall of Fame unlike Pau.
Lets see: The Lakers with Howard..or..The lakers with Pau, MMMMMMM!!! would the Odds (vegas, currently Lakers by 6.5) change for tonight's Game...Yep! I would say at least 1.5 points...to 8 point fav....Because of What???? Rebounding and Blocks!!!! by Howard. Why?? because this is what this series has been about and Pau is the reason they are back in L A needing to win BOTH games
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:09 pm

winner-within wrote:

I gotta call you out on this one Indy...You have (at least 5 times) stated, "all he can do is dunk" .....I dont know if you are incapable of understanding English or if you just scan my post and hurry up and respond with non-sense...You can have Pau, this is his last stand....Howard has a future in the NBA and will end up in the Hall of Fame unlike Pau.
Lets see: The Lakers with Howard..or..The lakers with Pau, MMMMMMM!!! would the Odds (vegas, currently Lakers by 6.5) change for tonight's Game...Yep! I would say at least 1.5 points...to 8 point fav....Because of What???? Rebounding and Blocks!!!! by Howard. Why?? because this is what this series has been about and Pau is the reason they are back in L A needing to win BOTH games

Thats because that is all he can do. And if we're talking just for this one season, I take Pau. He is a more complete player.

Also, I don't see Howard developing any kind of jumper or really imrpoving his free throw shooting much. MAYBE he could develop a hook shot or some kind of post move, but I just don't see it. He has no left hand, which is one of his biggest problems in the post.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:43 pm

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Thats because that is all he can do. And if we're talking just for this one season, I take Pau. He is a more complete player.

Also, I don't see Howard developing any kind of jumper or really imrpoving his free throw shooting much. MAYBE he could develop a hook shot or some kind of post move, but I just don't see it. He has no left hand, which is one of his biggest problems in the post.

OK I get it now,

Dwight Howards scouting report:

Does well:
Dunks

Cant do:
use his left
shoot free throws
shoot

Comments:
May have a chance at Dominating the Boards and Blocking shots
extremely durable
extremely strong
runs the floor like a small forward
takes up a lot of space and can d up
long wing span
Howard goes #1
I guess Orlando must have read the comment section and you like some of the others would have taken Okafor!! :Ha Ha
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:33 pm

winner-within wrote:
OK I get it now,

Does well:
Dunks

Cant do:
use his left
shoot free throws
shoot

Comments:
extremely durable
extremely strong
long wing span
Howard goes #1
I guess Orlando must have read the comment section and you like some of the others would have taken Okafor!! :Ha Ha

First, I've never seen him run a fast break. Every NBA center has a long wing span. Most take up a lot of space too. And looking back on that draft, there hasn't been many high caliber players. Howard is the best so far. Al Jefferson (14 to Boston), Kevin Martin(26 to Sacramento), Igoudala(9 to Philly) and Jameer Nelson(20 to Denver) are the only other ones from the first round. None of them were highly touted entering the draft. I actually would have probably selected Ben Gordon. Obviously, we see now that wouldn't have been a very good pick, but I felt out of college, he could be a great guard scorer. Whether it be at the 1 or the 2. Of course he didn't pan out though.

As for your Okafor comment, he has been exactly the player most expected him to be. He has been around a double double and durable for his career. Last year he averaged 10 and 9. Most felt thats what he would give you. Not many thought he would be a star.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:50 pm

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
OK I get it now,

Does well:
Dunks

Cant do:
use his left
shoot free throws
shoot

Comments:
extremely durable
extremely strong
long wing span
Howard goes #1

First, I've never seen him run a fast break. Every NBA center has a long wing span. Most take up a lot of space too. And looking back on that draft, there hasn't been many high caliber players. Howard is the best so far. Al Jefferson (14 to Boston), Kevin Martin(26 to Sacramento), Igoudala(9 to Philly) and Jameer Nelson(20 to Denver) are the only other ones from the first round. None of them were highly touted entering the draft. I actually would have probably selected Ben Gordon. Obviously, we see now that wouldn't have been a very good pick, but I felt out of college, he could be a great guard scorer. Whether it be at the 1 or the 2. Of course he didn't pan out though.

As for your Okafor comment, he has been exactly the player most expected him to be. He has been around a double double and durable for his career. Last year he averaged 10 and 9. Most felt thats what he would give you. Not many thought he would be a star.

That was actually a decent draft.

Ben Gordon (3)
Devin Harris (5)
Josh Smith (17)
JR Smith (18)

and even Andres Bierdrins has shown some promise. Dwight Howard is an Unbelievable player.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:04 am

Indy5 wrote:Thats because that is all he can do. And if we're talking just for this one season, I take Pau. He is a more complete player.

The left hand thing is overrated imo. There are great post players that never used their left hand.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby dwade » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:37 am

baseball wrote:I tihnk Amare is alot like Howard in the fact that their only real offensive game is power dunking...now dont get me wrong, Amare as improved his midrange/taking man off the dribble, but still has a little ways to go. Gasol is a type of player who everytime he takes a 15-17 footer, noone is suprised if it goes in. not to mention he's and 80% FT shooter so its not like you can just foul him to deny 2 points.

but anyway...even if you count Amare as better, which i can see, that still doesnt give you 3 bigs better then Pau, haha

I can give you four: Dwight, Bosh, Dirk, and Amare!
dwade
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:32 am

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
OK I get it now,

Does well:
Dunks

Cant do:
use his left
shoot free throws
shoot

Comments:
extremely durable
extremely strong
long wing span
Howard goes #1

Have you ever seen him be the first back on D???? I have.......wing span vary's big time in the NBA amongst the Giant's....an amazing trait of Minute Bol was that he was 7'7" tall with a 8'6" wing span, it helps in Blocking shots and rebounding.....taking up space takes a bigger body, Howard has this covered...look what happened when Perkins went out last night... the Lakers were able to fold and get more boards.....in the NBA all this little stuff adds up......with Howards athleticism and capabilities he ends up being just as important to his team as a Barton or a Yale or a Randall is to their team at the Highschool level.
Howard Like LeBron both need a better supporting cast.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:44 pm

dwade wrote:
baseball wrote:I tihnk Amare is alot like Howard in the fact that their only real offensive game is power dunking...now dont get me wrong, Amare as improved his midrange/taking man off the dribble, but still has a little ways to go. Gasol is a type of player who everytime he takes a 15-17 footer, noone is suprised if it goes in. not to mention he's and 80% FT shooter so its not like you can just foul him to deny 2 points.

but anyway...even if you count Amare as better, which i can see, that still doesnt give you 3 bigs better then Pau, haha

Dirk spends 95% of his time 20 feet from the basket...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndpreps09 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:21 pm

baseball wrote:
dwade wrote:

So? just cuz he isnt inside as much as the other guys means he isnt a good player?
ndpreps09
NDPreps Starter

Postby dwade » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:09 pm

baseball wrote:
dwade wrote:

I'll agree with that, but hes still an effective "bigman" that knows how to score! Just cause hes a good shooter doesn't mean he cant play the 4 or 5 spot.
dwade
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:17 pm

ndpreps09 wrote:
baseball wrote:
dwade wrote:

So? just cuz he isnt inside as much as the other guys means he isnt a good player?

maybe i should be more clear. When I say big guys...im talking post players. Guys who bang on the block. Dirk is better then Pau, ill agree to that. I'll even say hes MUCH better. But i consider him a perimeter player. for a guy 7' tall...its almost embarassing how little time he spends in the lane.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby dwade » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:56 am

baseball wrote:
ndpreps09 wrote:
baseball wrote:
dwade wrote:

maybe i should be more clear. When I say big guys...im talking post players. Guys who bang on the block. Dirk is better then Pau, ill agree to that. I'll even say hes MUCH better. But i consider him a perimeter player. for a guy 7' tall...its almost embarassing how little time he spends in the lane.

Dirk actually posts up a lot, but the posting up takes place 15 ft from the basket. As far as back to the basket and on the block there isn't too many better than Pau in the game today, if any! However, I don't see why, for the sake of this conversation, the big man has to score in the post. The most effective big man (4 or 5 spot) might just be the one who scores or rebounds the most.
dwade
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:25 am

Anybody catch Kobe on Rome is Burning towards the end of last week? Derek Fisher was hosting and he asked Kobe if he was in the same situation as Lebron would you leave to go to a better situation so you would have a better shot at winning? That pu nk said thats not the way he is. Does he not remember when he was demanding a trade because they kept losing in the first round of the playoffs after Shaq left? He makes me want to puke. I hope they make the finals and get swept by the Heat.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:20 am

That's exactly why I say he's not a good leader. When you're winning, its easy to say "I wouldn't change a thing", but when you're a competitor you'll always put yourself in the best position to win.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:18 am

Just goes to show the Character of Lebron...Bigger than the Beatles (well maybe)....but yet others can live with him and his Ego...

Kobe and MJ say they wouldn't have done it, because no one would take them....although Mj has more persona in his foot than Kobe does in his whole body.

Kobe is a Loner...the type of guy who would seduce and then force himself on a tour guide...hes a fierce competitor but he has to be the Alpha Male like Jordan.

LeBron and Wade were raised By women (smart women) no Dad around to make them think they have to be THE MAN another example, Tiger Woods.... this can hurt a kid....they can still be extremely good and competitive...but they wont Gel as good...LeBron proves you can spread your self out... you can Expand and not get comfortable in one spot...he can dance, he can smile, he can keep his family to himself and he can move on to bigger and brighter things...Kobe wouldn't take this same risk for fear of not fitting in...cause he's fake on the outside. :wink:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:56 am

baseball wrote:That's exactly why I say he's not a good leader. When you're winning, its easy to say "I wouldn't change a thing", but when you're a competitor you'll always put yourself in the best position to win.

He's actually a great leader, one of the best, he just does it Hitler style....Oh yea!....that's dictator, Hitler wasn't very good at loosing either.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:38 pm

winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:That's exactly why I say he's not a good leader. When you're winning, its easy to say "I wouldn't change a thing", but when you're a competitor you'll always put yourself in the best position to win.

He's actually a great leader, one of the best, he just does it Hitler style....Oh yea!....that's dictator, Hitler wasn't very good at loosing either.

The only difference was when they were both losing, one begged to be put on another team, and when the other was losing he was to stubborn to join a winning team. guess which one was Kobe.....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:09 am

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:

The only difference was when they were both losing, one begged to be put on another team, and when the other was losing he was to stubborn to join a winning team. guess which one was Kobe.....

Kobe's Different...he just is...hes a stud, but he's also a putts at times.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:44 am

Kobe Bryant may be the most over rated player in the history of the NBA.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things