Kobe Bryant

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Kobe Bryant

Postby NE B-Baller 242 » Sun May 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Just wonder what our some thoughts on his career/future. Some say he was done in terms of elite status a couple of weeks ago, but he goes again in the playoffs.

My thoughts: No longer the best in the NBA(Lebron) But there is no better closer/competitor in the playoffs. I think he that during remaining 3 yrs of his contract he'll still be a top 5 player, win another ring, but then probably curtain tail off. Just my opinion :D
If winning isn't everything why do we keep score?
NE B-Baller 242
NDPreps Starter

Re: Kobe Bryant

Postby Indy5 » Sun May 09, 2010 9:28 pm

I agree not the best anymore. Lebron is better and I think Wade is better. I guess I'll agree he is the best closer, but I think Pierce is a close second. I think he will possibly finish with his 5th ring at sometime. I don't know if it will be this year. I feel it'll be Orlando.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Mon May 10, 2010 11:10 am

I agree that he (Kobe) is on the down side of a great career. He can still turn it on, but just not as often. He would still be my choice to take the last shot because of his killer instinct. I think he will win at least one more ring, maybe two if Bynum can ever stay healthy and Gasol keeps improving. (It would also help if they had a pt guard who could defend a little!)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby craftyveteran » Sun May 30, 2010 12:44 am

I don't buy into the whole Lebron is better than Kobe talk.

No one is better than Kobe when it counts. That's why we've seen the Lakers there in the postseason and the Cavs disappointing early. I will cut Lebron some slack though, he has no team around him whatsoever.
craftyveteran
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Sun May 30, 2010 2:21 am

I think Kobe is only considered the best because how he handles late game situations. The only thing he does better then LeBron is close.

I'll take LeBron the first 47 minutes without hesitation, and Kobe the last one. LeBron is the better basketball player, Kobe is just a better closer.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:08 am

baseball wrote:I think Kobe is only considered the best because how he handles late game situations. The only thing he does better then LeBron is close.

I'll take LeBron the first 47 minutes without hesitation, and Kobe the last one. LeBron is the better basketball player, Kobe is just a better closer.

I wanna say one thing about Lebron vs Kobe (best player). In reference to this season Kobe has the best player wrapped up big time...I am a huge Lebron fan when it comes to his play...I am not so sure I would like him in person....as arrogant as he comes across and as nonchalant as he played in the playoffs I would say that Kobes 4 rings (soon to be 5) has alot more to do with just closing....the only thing he is closing in on is thee best laker of all time.....and Lebron has a long ways to go to compete with that status.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:17 am

Can't forget that Lebron also dunks harder. But really. Kobe is able to win more and close better in his 30's then Lebron in the prime of his career. Oh and i'd take Lebron in the first minute just so he could do his cocky powder thing at the scorer's table then take Kobe the rest of the game so my team could win.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:56 pm

winner-within wrote: I would say that Kobes 4 rings (soon to be 5) has alot more to do with just closing.

Like argueably the most dominant center to play the game, who was in his prime at the time, on his team? Like players who were able to hit big shots, Fisher-Horry-Fox-etc? Like a coach who could make the Clippers into a conteder?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:34 pm

Jordan didn't win a ring until he was 27 (I believe). Lebron is only 25, he only entering his prime. Lets give him a couple years.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:44 pm

Flip wrote:Jordan didn't win a ring until he was 27 (I believe). Lebron is only 25, he only entering his prime. Lets give him a couple years.

Jordan didn't have a winning season until his 4th season, only played 18 games his 2nd season so take that for what it's worth. LeBron was in the NBA Finals in his 4th season. I mention winning seasons and not playoff appearances because LeBron's 2nd year they were 42-40 and didnt make it, while Jordan got in with records of 35-47, 30-52, and 40-42. how does a team make the playoffs with a 30 win season?!?!
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:27 pm

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote: I would say that Kobes 4 rings (soon to be 5) has alot more to do with just closing.

Like argueably the most dominant center to play the game, who was in his prime at the time, on his team? Like players who were able to hit big shots, Fisher-Horry-Fox-etc? Like a coach who could make the Clippers into a conteder?

that dominant center had a few passes dumped into him by" you know who"....Fisher, Horry, Fox were open because"you know who" was doubled teamed..... and their opponents had the ball stolen a few times by "you know who"... Oh and that great coach played "you know who" way more minutes than the rest of the roster......He can close, and he can play with the best of them....if the playoffs counted for the MPV....Who would get it???? "you know who"
But for the record, I like watching Lebron better than Kobe although in an intense situation, are when you have to dig way down and make it happen, LeBron could learn from Kobe.....but then again you cant teach intense determination.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:22 pm

winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:

that dominant center had a few passes dumped into him by" you know who"....Fisher, Horry, Fox were open because"you know who" was doubled teamed..... and their opponents had the ball stolen a few times by "you know who"... Oh and that great coach played "you know who" way more minutes than the rest of the roster......He can close, and he can play with the best of them....if the playoffs counted for the MPV....Who would get it???? "you know who"
But for the record, I like watching Lebron better than Kobe although in an intense situation, are when you have to dig way down and make it happen, LeBron could learn from Kobe.....but then again you cant teach intense determination.

Great players make their teammates better, yea, thats said enough. What doesnt get mentioned is that great teammates make a great player look better too. You seem to be one of the few who think only the first sentence is correct....

youre not dominant because who passes you the ball, so where are you going with that? you make it sound like he was a beast because teams were so concentrated on Kobe they forgot this guy named Shaq. LeBron's teammates are open too because of him, whats your point? my point was Horry and Fisher hit the shots, Williams and West dont consistantly do that.

I truely think that if you switch teams, it will tell a huge story. The Cavs with Kobe would be nowhere near the best record in the NBA, like they were with LeBron. The Lakers with LeBron could push the 72-10 Bulls for best record of all time.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:28 am

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:

Great players make their teammates better, yea, thats said enough. What doesnt get mentioned is that great teammates make a great player look better too. You seem to be one of the few who think only the first sentence is correct....

youre not dominant because who passes you the ball, so where are you going with that? you make it sound like he was a beast because teams were so concentrated on Kobe they forgot this guy named Shaq. LeBron's teammates are open too because of him, whats your point? my point was Horry and Fisher hit the shots, Williams and West dont consistantly do that.

I truely think that if you switch teams, it will tell a huge story. The Cavs with Kobe would be nowhere near the best record in the NBA, like they were with LeBron. The Lakers with LeBron could push the 72-10 Bulls for best record of all time.

well I won't resort to assuming... but your assumptions are an interesting thought...I don't agree with them but their an interesting thought.
What I will say is after 7 seasons and only one trip to the finals LeBron still has a long way to go with what I call "real Important Experience" I personally wanted Mike Brown out of there two years ago..he is know where near even a Stan Gundy....Doc Rivers... or an Elvin Gentry... let alone Phil!
If LeBron and his agent don't get real serious about winning instead of $$$$ he could be the best player ever to never win a championship. Like Brady vs Marino and Joe Montana vs Fran Tarkenton there all great QB's but you need to put a ring on to avoid the would if talk.

Here's the scary thing: You've got LeBron James telling everybody how his elbow is messed up, and meanwhile Kobe is playing with a broken finger all year long and nobody is say anything about tha
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:09 pm

"Here's the scary thing: You've got LeBron James telling everybody how his elbow is messed up, and meanwhile Kobe is playing with a broken finger all year long and nobody is say anything about tha"

Where have you been all season? Plenty of play has gone on Kobe's finger.

What did i assume? opinions arent assumptions...

I will never understand why people put so much judgement on an individuals success based on what the team did. why do players have to win titles to be put in the category as best ever? Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Reggie Miller, Patrick Ewing, and John Stockton....all perfect examples.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:07 pm

baseball wrote:"Here's the scary thing: You've got LeBron James telling everybody how his elbow is messed up, and meanwhile Kobe is playing with a broken finger all year long and nobody is say anything about tha"

I will never understand why people put so much judgement on an individuals success based on what the team did. why do players have to win titles to be put in the category as best ever? Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Reggie Miller, Patrick Ewing, and John Stockton....all perfect examples.

Well to be fair Malone did win one with the Lakers when him and Payton joined up with Kobe and Shaq. :D
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:11 pm

Indy5 wrote:
baseball wrote:"Here's the scary thing: You've got LeBron James telling everybody how his elbow is messed up, and meanwhile Kobe is playing with a broken finger all year long and nobody is say anything about tha"

Well to be fair Malone did win one with the Lakers when him and Payton joined up with Kobe and Shaq. :D

False....Detroit beat them in the Finals. :D
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:16 pm

baseball wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

O your right. Haha, I forgot that was that year. I thought it was a year later when Malone and Payton left that Detroit beat them.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:40 pm

Indy5 wrote:
baseball wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

O your right. Haha, I forgot that was that year. I thought it was a year later when Malone and Payton left that Detroit beat them.

Nope...they played for the Lakers in 03-04. 2 years after their last title and 4 years before the next haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:43 pm

baseball wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
baseball wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

Nope...they played for the Lakers in 03-04. 2 years after their last title and 4 years before the next haha

Haha. I need a little refresher on my NBA history. I am way off on this.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:44 pm

winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:

if your "you know who" in all of the above is Kobe Bryant you are way off....Kobe wasn't double teamed when shaq was there. Kobe was along for the ride while Shaq destroyed teams.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:22 pm

Agree... Kobe had nothing to do with it. Heck take him off the team and they win it hands down... not.
And now he only won because of gasol? Duh, thats why he won so many titles with the Grizzlies. and really. Rick Fox, Robert Horry and Fisher are not a stacked lineup. Yeah they each had their one or two shots of their careers but in reality it was kobe and shaq that won the titles, not just kobe and not just shaq but both.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:39 pm

Kobe timetable for the last decade

99-02 - winning titles with shaq....everyones happy
02-04 - dont win the title, believes shaq is taking all the spotlight, runs him out of town to miami (where he wins a title i might add)
04-05 - starting along side chucky atkins and chris mihm, miss the playoffs...oops, maybe i shouldve seen shaq for what he really meant to my success
05-06 - 7th in the west, my team is awful, i hate it...but hey, did you see that game i score 81 points?!?
06-07 - my team is still terrible, i dont want to be here anymore, trade me now!
07-08 - bring in Gasol - another all-star center before he teamed up with Kobe - reach the finals...ok there might be something in this guy
08-10 - win the title, everyones happy, Kobe says he's never wanted to play anywhere but LA, love the place to much, might win another in the next week or 2.

He'll be the last to deny it, but he's only happy when he has an all-star on his team. just go look at the 3 year stretch from 04-07 to see that. whose the best wingman LeBron has ever had? Mo williams? Larry Hughes? how did a team with the 2nd option of Ricky Davis and Drew Gooden not win an NBA title!?!

but no, no...Kobe = King
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:49 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:Agree... Kobe had nothing to do with it. Heck take him off the team and they win it hands down... not.
And now he only won because of gasol? Duh, thats why he won so many titles with the Grizzlies. and really. Rick Fox, Robert Horry and Fisher are not a stacked lineup. Yeah they each had their one or two shots of their careers but in reality it was kobe and shaq that won the titles, not just kobe and not just shaq but both.

atleast you didnt take everything to the extreme haha. yea..Kobe was a huge deal in them winning, but he couldnt do that, to the extent he does witohut Gasol.

How come he didnt win titles with the Grizzlies? look at the teams he's had there? Mike Miller, Stromile Swift, Hakkim Warrick, Bonzi Wells, Jason Williams, Damon Stoudamire, etc...how that team didnt win 82 games every year i will never know..

never said Rick Fox, fisher, and Will Smith were the reasons they won titles, but they played big parts. Forget about the rings Horry had with Houston where he was hitting big shots before anyone knew the name Kobe? Them 3 role players are exactly what LeBron has never had...another option who you can consistantly count on to hit an open shot. nevermind...Donyell Marshall was a STUD!!

and about it not being just Kobe or just Shaq, but both..thats been my point the whole time. Kobe needed a big time player along side him the whole time. Shaq and Kobe in LA would be like LeBron and Howard on the same team today. If he ends up with a guy like Chris Bosh next year, you can all but lock it up. that's why comparing titles doesnt make sense. Kobe has had the chance to play with a 2nd option who could dominate a game..LeBron has NEVER had that.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:01 am

i will give Kobe one compliment though...that clip they showed of Chris Rock talking to him, and the look he had in his eye...THAT is what LeBron needs.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:21 am

baseball wrote:i will give Kobe one compliment though...that clip they showed of Chris Rock talking to him, and the look he had in his eye...THAT is what LeBron needs.

along withthe block on tony allen..WARRIOR

GREAT DEFENDER.... AND FOR YOU SCHWABY!!!!! THE LAST RING HIM AND LARD BUTT WON WAS AN ALLY OOP FROM KOBE TO LARD BUTT IN GAME 7 !!!!!! for all you Kobe haters...he is much closer to MJ than LeBron
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things