Kobe or Lebron?

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Kobe or Lebron?

Postby GFRR99 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:03 am

Whose better? I would like to hear some opinions and hear why.
GFRR99
NDPreps All-State

Re: Kobe or Lebron?

Postby alexanderthegreat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:26 am

I am, and always will be a Kobe Bryant fan.
The plain and simple fact is, is that Kobe and Lebron are both spectacular athletes and basketball players, but you have to give the edge to Lebron. He dominates in every statistical category and by sheer physicality overpowers opponents.

I look at it this way. If you made Kobe, Lebron, and Michael Jordan all the exact same size, it would go Michael Jordan > Kobe Bryant > Lebron James
Lebron is just such a freak physical specimen that nobody is going to be able to compete with that.
Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear.
alexanderthegreat
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:07 am

alexanderthegreat wrote:I am, and always will be a Kobe Bryant fan.
The plain and simple fact is, is that Kobe and Lebron are both spectacular athletes and basketball players, but you have to give the edge to Lebron. He dominates in every statistical category and by sheer physicality overpowers opponents.

I look at it this way. If you made Kobe, Lebron, and Michael Jordan all the exact same size, it would go Michael Jordan > Kobe Bryant > Lebron James
Lebron is just such a freak physical specimen that nobody is going to be able to compete with that.

Well it would be MJ_____________________________________________________ Kobe, Lebron. But I like where your going with this, but MJ was in a class all by himself.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Between Kobe and Lebron there are a lot of things you have to look at such as age. Right now, obviously Lebron is more explosive, faster, and stronger, but Kobe is in his 30s? I give the jump shot edge to Kobe by far. Scoring off the dribble to Lebron, slightly. Both players are great defenders. Lebron gets more rebounds, but then again it comes down to his size, he's huge. Right now though, i have to give the edge to Kobe, with shaq or with gasol a championships a championship and Until Lebron gets at least one, Kobes got the advantage.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dwade » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:15 pm

Kobe is better for the obvious reasons!
dwade
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:58 pm

dwade wrote:Kobe is better for the obvious reasons!

Which are....

his better midrange game?
inferior passing?
inferior rebounding?
selfishness?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:58 am

How can you say Lebron is a better passer? Does he pass it faster? with a better bounce on his bounce pass. Kobe has just as good vision. The only reason Lebron is considered a "better" passer is because he drives in and dishes out to try get his assist numbers. Notice once he gets about the 7-10 range the passing stops.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:01 am

baseball wrote:

Which are....

inferior passing?
inferior rebounding?
selfishness?

Being this years Finals MVP and hoisting his 5th nba championship tonight. Tonight people will see what sets him apart from everybody else in the league. :mrgreen:
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:09 am

alexanderthegreat wrote:I am, and always will be a Kobe Bryant fan.

We are all made differently...so i wont play into this one...otherwise you could throw in Isiah T....or A.I....and a few more....No matter the size LeBron, Jordan, Kobe may always remain in the same sentence....Magic is the best point guard of all time.....Magic says it like this "Jordan was the best to play in the Air and Bird was the best to play on the Ground"....
My favorite Dunker of all time is V. Carter with a close second being Jordan....Jordan had more spectacular Dunks in Big games just because he played in more "Big Games"....But Vince was the best at Dunking That I ever witnessed.....
Kobe or LeBron???
LeBron is a better Player right now, Kobe is 32 which is the exact age I was when things started going south....Kobe at 27 and Lebron at 20, LeBron couldn't even carry his Jock...in all reality these players are in a different era and if lebron wants the same recognition as a Pro that wins... instead of a Marketing Guru..marketing Giant...than he has to Ring out...period.. Izzo isn't going to Cleavland and neither is any of the free agents out there.....so when LeBron wins his first ring (probably next June) with a different team...he will realize the significance and will be crying and Kissing the Trophy,and drownding in Champange...and until then he wont start slipping into the Best Player, for me!!! Oh yea...but he can dribble good..Ha ha
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:45 pm

ndfan wrote:
baseball wrote:

Which are....

inferior passing?
inferior rebounding?
selfishness?

Being this years Finals MVP and hoisting his 5th nba championship tonight. Tonight people will see what sets him apart from everybody else in the league. :mrgreen:

good start :)
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:49 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:How can you say Lebron is a better passer? Does he pass it faster? with a better bounce on his bounce pass. Kobe has just as good vision. The only reason Lebron is considered a "better" passer is because he drives in and dishes out to try get his assist numbers. Notice once he gets about the 7-10 range the passing stops.

Same way Steve Nash is a better passer then LeBron. Lebron is able to get balls to teammates it different situations better then Kobe is.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby dwade » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:45 am

baseball wrote:

Which are....

inferior passing?
inferior rebounding?
selfishness?

His ability to win basketball games!
dwade
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:53 am

baseball wrote:
ndfan wrote:
baseball wrote:

Which are....

inferior passing?
inferior rebounding?
selfishness?

It's not how you start, it's how you finish that counts. :mrgreen:
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:12 am

Matt Moore explains Kobe...exactly how I've always felt....gotta have a little appreciation....if not, then you simply dont like him, :P

Kobe Bryant won his fifth title in 2009-2010, despite shooting 6 of 24 from the field, routinely taking shots out of the flow of the offense, and generally failing to deliver in the most important game of his career. Luckily for him, his teammates who were so often derided for their contributions, stepped in to cover for him and delivered him his fifth title. Bryant had four turnovers, routinely dribbling into double coverage and failing to deliver as he heaved shot after shot in double to triple coverage. While Bryant clearly has his place among the legends, this performance even more clearly elucidates the difference between Kobe and Jordan.

No, that's not right either. No, here's the real story.

Kobe Bryant once again collected an NBA championship ring behind a stellar playoff performance, while also fanning the flames of debate about what exactly his legacy is.

There. That's it.

Kobe Bryant is, and has been for some time, the most divisive player in the league. Adored by his fans in an idealistic manner, and razed by his critics. He is simultaneously considered the hardest working player in the NBA, one of the hardest working in the history of the league, and one of the most unlikeable players. Players are on record calling him a certain term for an orifice. That's the reaction he gets from people. Many of whom are his friends. He is considered arguably the finest pure offensive player of all time, and a selfish gunner that can hurt his team with his quick trigger.

He is the hero, he is the villain, he is the warrior, he is the prat. Beyond all of that he is the champion, again.

This is the real legacy of Kobe Bryant. In Game 7, he forced up shots, and fought fiercely for rebounds, collecting 15. He foolishly handled the ball into traffic, and played stellar defense on Ray Allen. As always, Bryant lifted his fans to greatness and kept his critics' cross-hairs squarely on him.

And that's who he is. The player who manages to constantly keep us all talking about him. His life, his attitude, his behavior, his game, his future, his place in history next to the greatest of all time.

When the buzzer sounded and Bryant collected the ring that pushed him ahead of Shaq, (which he mentioned in the post-game presser), Bryant gave us another chapter to marvel at, and debate, to defend and attack. Jordan was idolized, universally loved. It's not hard to reach out and grasp the concept that he may have been a more heartless personality than Bryant, and yet Jordan never faced the scrutiny and passionate distaste Bryant has. Kobe has been the lightning rod for the ring. He is still considered the anti-LeBron. His legacy of raising the interest of the league is not the product of his play or the jewelry on his fingers. It's the product of those rings and the way in which they accumulated.

To say that Kobe doesn't care about his critics is a lie. He's propelled by the same obsessive desire to crush those who doubt him that Jordan was. It is the single strongest thread between the two players. Kobe's stats don't rack up, But his attitude and willpower does. Just the fact that he's compared to Jordan is a huge compliment in and of itself, and yet it's treated as a derogatory comment. As if "not as good as Jordan" was some sort of bad place, which the rest of the basketball playing universe occupies.

Bryant's legacy is build upon the fierce debate he has created in the sports world. He holds something for everyone, even if that something is a deep despise for his every move. And the more the world rallies behind him and throws stones at his glass house, the more he feeds on it and continues his quest to be the very best he can be.

And that's what he wants his legacy to be.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:31 pm

ndfan wrote:
baseball wrote:
ndfan wrote:
baseball wrote:

Which are....

inferior passing?
inferior rebounding?
selfishness?

It's not how you start, it's how you finish that counts. :mrgreen:

he finished worse then he started haha...6-24??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:37 pm

And for all the people out there sho think Kobe supporting cast isnt that good...ill repeat.

6-24

with 2 assists. That means he was bricking shot after shot, while not creating for his teammates. His TEAMMATES were creating for each other. yea yea yea...15 rebounds, must be the best player in the world! he's got 5 rings, ill give him that, thats great.

But look at it this way. he won a ring on his worst game of the playoffs....LeBron would've lost that game by 40 if he was 6-24 with 2 assits.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:55 pm

the lakers shot 32 percent as a team, gasol was 6-16 and artest 7-18 it was a defensive battle in game. Not like they were on fire either. The celtics weren't giving anyone anything easy. But the lakers found a way to win. and i'll repeat....

Finals MVP

Don't hate. Lebron's good, but i mean come on, Adam Morrison has two more titles than him....
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indy5 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:59 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:the lakers shot 32 percent as a team, gasol was 6-16 and artest 7-18 it was a defensive battle in game. Not like they were on fire either. The celtics weren't giving anyone anything easy. But the lakers found a way to win. and i'll repeat....

Finals MVP

Don't hate. Lebron's good, but i mean come on, Adam Morrison has two more titles than him....

Haha, thats a good one. Morrison hasn't even been in a jersey during each postseason either. I wanted Boston to win cause I was hoping I could see Morrison ball his eyes out again. :lol:

Don't you find it a little symbolic of this debate, how down the stretch in game 7, it wasn't Kobe making big shots? It was Fisher(as Mark Jackson called him, Old Relieable), Gasol, and Artest.

This year's champs were the Los Angeles Lakers, led by Kobe Bryant

The team with the best regular season record was the Cleveland LeBrons.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:14 am

BballFan1307 wrote:

Which is the exact reason "He has more rings" canNOT be considered a valid arguement...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby dwade » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:09 pm

baseball wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:

Which is the exact reason "He has more rings" canNOT be considered a valid arguement...

It can be when the one with the rings, such as Kobe, played a very singnificant role in the team winning the title.
dwade
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:31 pm

dwade wrote:
baseball wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:

It can be when the one with the rings, such as Kobe, played a very singnificant role in the team winning the title.

You missed the point...when asked why Kobe is a better player, alot of people compare rings. I'm just saying that just because you have more rings doesnt mean youre the better player...and Kobe v. LeBron is one example.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby dwade » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:39 pm

baseball wrote:
dwade wrote:
baseball wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:

You missed the point...when asked why Kobe is a better player, alot of people compare rings. I'm just saying that just because you have more rings doesnt mean youre the better player...and Kobe v. LeBron is one example.

I agree that comparing rings can't be the one deciding factor on whose better, but it should be considered because better basketball players find a way to win. Otherwise players like Bill Russell wouldn't amount to much in the greatest players conversations.
dwade
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:25 pm

dwade wrote:
I agree that comparing rings can't be the one deciding factor on whose better, but it should be considered because better basketball players find a way to win. Otherwise players like Bill Russell wouldn't amount to much in the greatest players conversations.

I think he would still be considered as a great seeing how he had many 30 and 40 rebound preformances.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:47 pm

dwade wrote:
baseball wrote:
dwade wrote:
baseball wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:

Your not the Greatest in any sport unless you have won championships Tiger Jack Mj Kobe Magic Federer Venus Serina Bird Russel Montana Brady Emmit Payton Eli LeBron..Oh Wait!!! thats right he forgoned his championship so he could stay in Cleavland a play his playstation with the Bros.....But NO...he can Play he can rack up big #########'s why???? cause he's on a crappy team and he's the Bosss....boy that would be hard!!!!!!!! Mark Cuban would have a bunch of rings if he had his own way in the leauge as LeBron does....like I said before LeBron at 20 yrs old and Kobe at 27...Lebron couldnt carry his jock>>>>>
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:41 pm

winner-within wrote:
Your not the Greatest in any sport unless you have won championships Tiger Jack Mj Kobe Magic Federer Venus Serina Bird Russel Montana Brady Emmit Payton Eli LeBron..Oh Wait!!! thats right he forgoned his championship so he could stay in Cleavland a play his playstation with the Bros.....But NO...he can Play he can rack up big #########'s why???? cause he's on a crappy team and he's the Bosss....boy that would be hard!!!!!!!! Mark Cuban would have a bunch of rings if he had his own way in the leauge as LeBron does....like I said before LeBron at 20 yrs old and Kobe at 27...Lebron couldnt carry his jock>>>>>

Ok, LeBron didn't have a choice in getting picked by Cleveland. How is that his fault?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things