Slam Dunk Contest

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Slam Dunk Contest

Postby ndfan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:39 pm

Had to be the worst one i have ever seen NO creativity at all. Thoughts?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: Slam Dunk Contest

Postby baseball » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:57 pm

pathetic. never understood the little guy winning just because he is short and can jump high. a guy like LeBron or Igudola has a vertical just high as Robinson but since he's 5'9" his dunks look more impressive i guess. ive always thought he should be banned from all dunk contests since the year he tried the between the legs 40+ times from the half line and they let him do it until he made it and that wins it.

Dunk contest is worthless.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:27 pm

I usually love the dunk contest but it was just ridiculous this year. There was zero creativity. During the alley-oop part, Shannon Brown just had Kobe throw it stright up and he just put it right down. There was nothing special at all about it. The All-Star game had way more creative dunks than the dunk contest. With that said, I think Derozan should have won. He was the most impressive and creative but Robinson won just because he is short and the fan favorite.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:19 pm

I would love the dunk contest if they actually had the right people in it every year. It should be an honor to be in it, not just last resort picks. I'm a fan of the NBA and I like the saturday contests WAY more then the game itself.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:48 pm

No kidding, they need to get lawson, ellington, mccants, felton and hansbrough in there competing in it!!!! No, but really I agree with ya. I remember when it would actually be exciting to watch it because the "stars" were in it, but really now days, who are the big dunking stars? Obviously you have Lebron, but.. Vince Carter is getting old. Who would there be that would make this contest better?
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby gobison#6 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:37 pm

many of the better dunkers now are big men. they arent as creative in their dunks though thats why they dont compete. the other great dunkers now are as you said lebron, kobe, and a lot of other small forward/shooting guard type players. these elite players of those positions should be in the contest not the players who dont even get 10 minutes a game or whatever.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:25 pm

The Schwab wrote:I would love the dunk contest if they actually had the right people in it every year. It should be an honor to be in it, not just last resort picks. I'm a fan of the NBA and I like the saturday contests WAY more then the game itself.

Exactly. Howard was good. Josh and J.R. Smith were good when they were in it a few years ago. Stoudamire was good when he was in it. Robinson is alright when he uses props. LeBron and Kobe could be good. I think LeBron could have some fun with it.

As you said, they need to get the right people. The way I see it is the dunk contest is exactly like baseball's Home Run Derby. Only difference is the derby gets all the stars. The dunk contest used to be an honor. Now its just a joke.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby duke_boy90 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:02 pm

I couldn't agree with more with what everyone is saying. Lebron James had better dunks in the actual game than any of the contestants. They desperately need a year where its a lineup something along the lines of Lebron, Dwight Howard, Nate Robinson, and D-Wade. That will prob never happen getting all those guys together but they could really use three of them.
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby NE B-Baller 242 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:35 pm

Terrible contest, Brandon Crest could have competed in this contest.
If winning isn't everything why do we keep score?
NE B-Baller 242
NDPreps Starter

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things