Final four picks...

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Final four picks...

Postby baseball » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:44 am

cubsfan wrote:Is it just me or does UNC not run an offensive set? They have a lot of young talent but only one outside shooter and make terrible decisions ninety percent of the time.

haha thank you....thats my point about Roy being a great recruiter, but not a good coach. he brings the talent in, but when they come he just lets them run wild.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Most teams don't run set offenses any more. They run either the "Dribble Drive" which is based on penetration and kickouts to spot-up shooters, or "Motion" which is all about cutting and back-filling for cutters while keeping floor spacing between players.

Nobody wants to stifle creativity by running a set play. That's fine if you have smart players who are willing to hustle and keep moving. If you've got a dumb point guard and lazy players these offenses won't work.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:18 pm

baseball wrote:
cubsfan wrote:Is it just me or does UNC not run an offensive set? They have a lot of young talent but only one outside shooter and make terrible decisions ninety percent of the time.

haha thank you....thats my point about Roy being a great recruiter, but not a good coach. he brings the talent in, but when they come he just lets them run wild.

I agree with you Hinsa that most teams dont run set plays, but it is ridiculous how pathetic their half court offense is at times.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:55 pm

If you look at a lot of up-tempo teams that like to run their opponent ragged, most of them struggle in the half court. People forget that UNC is a team that historically LOVES to run run run. The thing that makes people forget that is the team they've had the past couple years. In those years they've been able to play in the half court because of Tyler Hansbrough's dominating post play. They also had Thompson hitting open jumpers and Ellington knocking down the 3. And Danny Green was another great shooter. Green and Lawson were equally as explosive in the half court as on the break which is what made them so great.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby CampsandTourneys » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Kansas
Texas
Kentucky
Syracuse

With a tournament that is filled with teams West of the Rocky Mountains, WOW the PAC 10 is bad
http://campsandtourneys.com/
For your local and regional premier sports camps and tournaments
CampsandTourneys
NDPreps Rookie

Postby gobison#6 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:53 pm

CampsandTourneys wrote:Kansas
Texas
Kentucky
Syracuse

With a tournament that is filled with teams West of the Rocky Mountains, WOW the PAC 10 is bad

the PAC 10 is West of the rocky mountains, did you mean east of the rockies is gonna fill the tournament?
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:16 pm

Indy5 wrote:North Carolina- Don't have a star but their really athletic like always and Roy Williams is just such a great coach that they will be there.

I've already stated my opinion of his coaching abilities in this thread haha...maybe 13-11 and 2-7 in the conference will show people just how good a coach he is.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:31 pm

baseball wrote:
Indy5 wrote:North Carolina- Don't have a star but their really athletic like always and Roy Williams is just such a great coach that they will be there.

I've already stated my opinion of his coaching abilities in this thread haha...maybe 13-11 and 2-7 in the conference will show people just how good a coach he is.

I would have to agree with you, last year was the first title he's won with his own recruits right?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:49 am

Yeah they are having a rough year. They are extremly young and inexperienced like I said. I think next year they will be back to their run at the top of the conference. They bring in a top recruit in Harrison Barnes and a good recruiting class around him. Dexter Strickland will develop into a star in his years to come IMO.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:12 am

So far through the season this is what my adjusted picks look like:

Kansas- 23-1 on the year. Just blasted Texas, a team that was at one point #1. They are deep and Aldrich is a beast. I'm not a huge fan of Collins because I think he is out of control, but he's a good leader.
Syracuse- Very long on the perimeter. They shoot the 3 well and play great as a team. They are also very physical down low. The thing I like is that they know how to close out games and beat the good teams.

Those are my two favorites; the rest are like this:
Villanova- Extemely deep and I love Reynolds as a leader.
Georgetown- I like Monroe's wide variety of skills and like Syracuse, they beat the good teams. Also a great 3 point shooting team.
Kentucky- Amazing talent with their freshman. Celings are very high. Too bad they'll only be around for a year. Bledsode is so underrated. IMO he is better than Wall. Yeah thats right better than JOHN WALL, aka God to some people.
West Virginia- I like how they have 3 power forwards who are pretty much guards. Mizzula is finally getting healthy and his leadership should help.
Ohio State- Turner being out helped them improve as a team and now that he is back they are playing well. He is a phenominal player.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby fbballa » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Indy5 wrote:So far through the season this is what my adjusted picks look like:

Kansas- 23-1 on the year. Just blasted Texas, a team that was at one point #1. They are deep and Aldrich is a beast. I'm not a huge fan of Collins because I think he is out of control, but he's a good leader.
Syracuse- Very long on the perimeter. They shoot the 3 well and play great as a team. They are also very physical down low. The thing I like is that they know how to close out games and beat the good teams.

Those are my two favorites; the rest are like this:
Villanova- Extemely deep and I love Reynolds as a leader.
Georgetown- I like Monroe's wide variety of skills and like Syracuse, they beat the good teams. Also a great 3 point shooting team.
Kentucky- Amazing talent with their freshman. Celings are very high. Too bad they'll only be around for a year. Bledsode is so underrated. IMO he is better than Wall. Yeah thats right better than JOHN WALL, aka God to some people.West Virginia- I like how they have 3 power forwards who are pretty much guards. Mizzula is finally getting healthy and his leadership should help.
Ohio State- Turner being out helped them improve as a team and now that he is back they are playing well. He is a phenominal player.

You're not the only one who thinks that.

My Final Four Picks:
1. Kansas
2. Syracuse
3. Pittsburgh
4. Kentucky
fbballa
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:49 pm

I agree Bledsoe is underrated, but not better then Wall. at the same time i don't think Wall is the best player on the team. Cousins is an absolute man.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:39 pm

Watching the Kentucky game tonight, I realize they don't know how to play basketball at all. It is just street ball. They don't even run the Dribble Drive well. Cousins is a beast and Bledsoe&Wall are more athletic than everyone. They win because of raw talent and athletisism but they have no spacing or basketball knowledge. I don't think they can win in the tournament with that type of play.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Schmidty22 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:27 pm

Kansas Kentucky Villanova and BYU who is a team that flys under the radar and is overlooked many times.
"I go out there and get my eyes gouged, my nose busted, my body slammed. I love the pain of the game."
Schmidty22
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:07 am

Schmidty22 wrote:Kansas Kentucky Villanova and BYU who is a team that flys under the radar and is overlooked many times.

BYU is underrated a little but they don't come from a tough enough conference. I've seen them play a couple times and I think they could make a run to the sweet 16 more than likely and possibly the elite 8 but I really do not think they can get to the final 4.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:40 pm

Schmidty22 wrote:Kansas Kentucky Villanova and BYU who is a team that flys under the radar and is overlooked many times.

I dont think BYU is a crazy pick at all. If they get into the Salt Lake City bracket they will be the team to beat in that regional. Remember, BYU can only play in two regionals this year because of their religious mandate that they only allow their team to play on Thursday/Saturdays. The Salt Lake City and Syracuse brackets are the two on those days so they will be in one or the other.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:23 pm

baseball wrote:they are beatable...but they wont get beat :)

oh darn
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:23 am

i am legend wrote:Here are my picks:
1. Syracuse- has looked extremely impressive, and they have good big guys and great guard play, and a hall of fame coach.

2.butler- The final 4 is pretty much in their backyard this year and they have the talent to do it, and their team is full of sophmores and juniors so they will be a force for the next couple of years.

3.Kansas- just two much talent not to make it at least this far, great big man in aldrich and collins is super guard.

4.Kentucky- With paterson, wall, and cousins they have tons of talent and some veterans who'll help the freshman to mature.

National championship
kentucky over syracuse

Congrats on Butler! haha
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things