NFL Draft

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

NFL Draft

Postby duke_boy90 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:02 pm

Who had the best draft day? Also, how did the Vikings do. I know they got Percy Harvin, but that's all I heard.
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Re: NFL Draft

Postby eastwood99 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:06 pm

Lions got the best picks overall......Stafford,Pettigrew,they just have to win a game this year!
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cubsfan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:12 am

I am happy that B.J. Raji fell to number for the Packers, I think they had a pretty first day of the draft (did not watch the second day).
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:45 am

First off, i think it was a terrible move by the Lions to take Stafford. He's not even a number one calibur qb. There's a reason he wasn't a heisman candidate. Plus, they have drafted him in a position to fail. How often to Rookie Qb's come into a situation on a bad team and succeed. They should have taken an OT and upgraded other valuable positions taken their chances with Culpepper and upgrade QB next year when they've built some what of a team. Second, i'm happy with the Vikes taking Percy Harvin. It is a huge risk though, not only the character issues but he's injury prone. However him being on a team with AP, Chester and Berrian will be scary. Now if only we have someone that can throw a 15 yard spiral. Picking up Phil Loadholt in the 2nd seems like a good move. The guy is HUGE, if he can work on his athleticism should be starting RT next year.I thought the Pack did a great job in the draft. They were aggressive moving up to get Matthews and now have 2 guys that can start on defense right away. On a side note, VCSU WR/SS Chauncey Calhoun was invited to tryout at the minicamp of the Minnesota VIkings.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:14 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:First off, i think it was a terrible move by the Lions to take Stafford. He's not even a number one calibur qb. There's a reason he wasn't a heisman candidate. Plus, they have drafted him in a position to fail. How often to Rookie Qb's come into a situation on a bad team and succeed. They should have taken an OT and upgraded other valuable positions taken their chances with Culpepper and upgrade QB next year when they've built some what of a team. Second, i'm happy with the Vikes taking Percy Harvin. It is a huge risk though, not only the character issues but he's injury prone. However him being on a team with AP, Chester and Berrian will be scary. Now if only we have someone that can throw a 15 yard spiral. Picking up Phil Loadholt in the 2nd seems like a good move. The guy is HUGE, if he can work on his athleticism should be starting RT next year.I thought the Pack did a great job in the draft. They were aggressive moving up to get Matthews and now have 2 guys that can start on defense right away. On a side note, VCSU WR/SS Chauncey Calhoun was invited to tryout at the minicamp of the Minnesota VIkings.

Matt Ryan, Eli Manning. Rookie QB's dont start in the league, thats why they never succeed. I dont think Stafford is any different. This team is Culpeppers at the beginning. if they have a season like last, Stafford will be starting no earlier then week 9. Stafford was a future pick, not a come in and save the franchise now pick. teams dont draft someone and automatically become a contender, doesnt matter if they took OL, DL, DB, WR, QB....no single pick is going to turn that team around in one season.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:19 pm

baseball wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:First off, i think it was a terrible move by the Lions to take Stafford. He's not even a number one calibur qb. There's a reason he wasn't a heisman candidate. Plus, they have drafted him in a position to fail. How often to Rookie Qb's come into a situation on a bad team and succeed. They should have taken an OT and upgraded other valuable positions taken their chances with Culpepper and upgrade QB next year when they've built some what of a team. Second, i'm happy with the Vikes taking Percy Harvin. It is a huge risk though, not only the character issues but he's injury prone. However him being on a team with AP, Chester and Berrian will be scary. Now if only we have someone that can throw a 15 yard spiral. Picking up Phil Loadholt in the 2nd seems like a good move. The guy is HUGE, if he can work on his athleticism should be starting RT next year.I thought the Pack did a great job in the draft. They were aggressive moving up to get Matthews and now have 2 guys that can start on defense right away. On a side note, VCSU WR/SS Chauncey Calhoun was invited to tryout at the minicamp of the Minnesota VIkings.

Matt Ryan, Eli Manning. Rookie QB's dont start in the league, thats why they never succeed. I dont think Stafford is any different. This team is Culpeppers at the beginning. if they have a season like last, Stafford will be starting no earlier then week 9. Stafford was a future pick, not a come in and save the franchise now pick. teams dont draft someone and automatically become a contender, doesnt matter if they took OL, DL, DB, WR, QB....no single pick is going to turn that team around in one season.

Well I dont think the people of Detroit are going to wanna see their 70 plus million dollar man on the sidelines too long
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:17 pm

thats true....but think about Jamarcus Russel and Brady quinn...fans wanted them thrown in the fire right away and look how it turned out.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Thats my point. Why use the number one pick on a guy that MIGHT be good in 2 years. You were 0-16 you need someone to come in and help NOW. Obviously the one pick isn't going to add 10 wins, but 70 mill for a guy that didn't do much in college and MIGHT be a good qb is not a smart pick.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby thejoker » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:33 pm

Tyler Jangula, former Williston High standout, was signed to a deal with the Saints.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:42 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:How often to Rookie Qb's come into a situation on a bad team and succeed.

Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan. You could argue they were on good teams, but previous season they were 5 and 4 win teams, respectively.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby duke_boy90 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:51 pm

OK I have a real problem with guys like Graham Harrell and Chase Daniel not being drafted. I don't understand how both of them were at one time Heisman candidates and not one team picked them in 7 rounds. Makes me angry for some reason.
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:29 pm

duke_boy90 wrote:OK I have a real problem with guys like Graham Harrell and Chase Daniel not being drafted. I don't understand how both of them were at one time Heisman candidates and not one team picked them in 7 rounds. Makes me angry for some reason.

Product of the system....like Timmy Cheng from Hawaii a few years back
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan7 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:32 pm

The Schwab wrote:
duke_boy90 wrote:OK I have a real problem with guys like Graham Harrell and Chase Daniel not being drafted. I don't understand how both of them were at one time Heisman candidates and not one team picked them in 7 rounds. Makes me angry for some reason.

Another thing is that neither of them ever went under center for a snap. In the NFL its more of a drop back passing and hand the ball of league out of variations of the I. I dont think you can name a team in the NFL that for 85% of the plays they are in a shotgun let alone every play.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:09 am

bballfan7 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Another thing is that neither of them ever went under center for a snap. In the NFL its more of a drop back passing and hand the ball of league out of variations of the I. I dont think you can name a team in the NFL that for 85% of the plays they are in a shotgun let alone every play.

Vince Young.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:40 pm

baseball wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Vince Young.

Who now backs up Kerry Collins
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:43 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:Thats my point. Why use the number one pick on a guy that MIGHT be good in 2 years. You were 0-16 you need someone to come in and help NOW. Obviously the one pick isn't going to add 10 wins, but 70 mill for a guy that didn't do much in college and MIGHT be a good qb is not a smart pick.

It wasn't really a good year to have the number one pick in the draft. You have to pay the number one pick 40 something million guaranteed anyway. Stafford will never see that additional 30 million in incentives either. To get that money he has to make the Pro Bowl every season for six years. He got the standard contract for a number one pick and his agent got all those incentives in his contract so he could earn up to 78 million over his first contract, but let's be real he's not going to be a Pro Bowler in Detroit anytime in the near future.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:56 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
baseball wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Vince Young.

he'll be the starter again this year...he got hurt and then was basically suicidal. Tom Brady would get benched if he has the same behavior last year.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby duke_boy90 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:40 pm

baseball wrote:
baseball wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Vince Young.

he'll be the starter again this year...he got hurt and then was basically suicidal. Tom Brady would get benched if he has the same behavior last year.

I can understand if they didn't chosen in an earlier round, but not even being chosen at all. Harrell threw for 4,000 yards and played in a good conference. It's not like they played in the Big Sky or something.
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:39 pm

Aren't alot of QB's in the NFL just system qb's in the NFL? example tom brady. is he not the product of being in the hands of an offensive mastermind with 2 of the best receivers in the NFL?
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan7 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:03 pm

duke_boy90 wrote:
baseball wrote:
baseball wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Vince Young.

I can understand if they didn't chosen in an earlier round, but not even being chosen at all. Harrell threw for 4,000 yards and played in a good conference. It's not like they played in the Big Sky or something.

Yeah, they also play in one of the worst defensive conferences in the NCAA.
Last edited by bballfan7 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller030 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:06 pm

the worst pick in the first round would have to go to the raiders drafting dhb
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

-- Michael Jordan--
baller030
NDPreps Starter

Postby basebizzal » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:09 pm

bballfan7 wrote:
duke_boy90 wrote:
baseball wrote:
baseball wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Vince Young.

Yeah, they also played in one of the worst defensive colleges in the NCAA.

yeah but he also did incredibly bad at the senior bowl which knocked his stock down a lot.
basebizzal
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:30 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:Aren't alot of QB's in the NFL just system qb's in the NFL? example tom brady. is he not the product of being in the hands of an offensive mastermind with 2 of the best receivers in the NFL?

He was good when Troy Brown and David Patton were his best receivers and won 3 SBs.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:10 am

Tom Brady is a product of Belichek's system
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:14 am

BballFan1307 wrote:Tom Brady is a product of Belichek's system

Do you understand what I ment by product of the system, What I ment was... He came from a college that throws the ball 70-80 percent of the time, look at the last 5 starting quarterback that have came from texas tech, they all put up gaudy numbers.

Tom Brady isn't a product of any system, he's is just a flat out winner. Look what he did with no recieving help, then he got Moss and they rewrote the record books until the most shocking upset in Super Bowl history.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things