Super Bowl XLIII

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Super Bowl XLIII

Postby thejoker » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:40 pm

What did you think about the game.

Where does the game rank among the all-time greats?

What about Holmes' catch?
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Re: Super Bowl XLIII

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:49 pm

This game was the best Super Bowl I've ever watched. Don't know if you can call it the best all time or not. Only negative on this game were all the penalties....especially personal fouls. Rothlesberger is one of the most clutch QBs of all time....right up there with Elway. Holmes made an amazing catch and I'm glad they gave him the MVP....seems like it always goes to the QB. One question.....where does Warner stand as far as the Hall of Fame? Taking two different teams to 3 Super Bowls. Top 3 passing games in Super Bowl history. Two-time MVP. I think he deserves a spot in the hall. If AZ had been one and done in the playoffs I might question it, but not now.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby thatguy422 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:59 pm

Anybody else confused as to why the booth didn't review the fumble at the end?
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:33 am

yup
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:37 am

This was one of the most exciting Super Bowls ever, if not THE most exciting.

However, I can't believe the Cardinal coaching staff wasn't running out to midfield begging for a review of the last play. There was one angle shown - the last one shown - that clearly showed the ball still in Warner's hand as his arm came forward. Should have been one more play and coupled with the 15 yard penalty, the Cardinals has a legitimate shot at winning the game.

Unbelievable....
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:52 am

It kinda seemed from the get go the STEALers were supposed to win this game...there seemed to be a lot of questionable calls going aginst the cards but I like how it was a lot closer than everyone thought.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:23 am

I'm sure the booth did review the tapes of the final fumble and decided it was indeed a fumble, so no further reveiw was needed.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:45 pm

how was it not an incomplete pass though? it looked to me as if the ball was still in his hand as he moved it forward. It's not like the ball was popped as he brought his arm back.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:47 pm

The point is...the replay booth should have called for a replay by the officials on the field.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby numba3511 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:49 pm

I was a fan of Harrison.. but when he shoved that cardinal and got the Personal Foul i lost all respect for him. That was garbage. His Interception was amazing though.
私はちょうどあなたにこれほど上への翻訳ウェブサイトを見させました
numba3511
NDPreps Starter

Postby thejoker » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:38 pm

The Schwab wrote:The point is...the replay booth should have called for a replay by the officials on the field.

I think so too.
They spent a good 15 minutes on sportscenter this morning saying the exact same

thing.
numba3511 wrote:I was a fan of Harrison.. but when he shoved that cardinal and got the Personal Foul i lost all respect for him. That was garbage. His Interception was amazing though.

That wasn't exactly a great pick, just a terrible read by Warner.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:19 pm

i agree. the interception wasnt that great. Yeah he picked it off and ran it all the way , but it was thrown right to him. And the analysts were all making a huge deal about the run back and how they couldn't beleive he made it the whole way, he's an NFL linebacker, i hope he can run 100 yards .
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby riders » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:32 pm

the facemask call on DRC was incredibly bad. to call the facemask on DRC but not call the illegal hands to the face on holmes is rediculous. and dont even try to tell me that the ref couldn't see that, his version of a stiffarm was his hands straight in DRC's face
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thejoker » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:31 pm

riders wrote:the facemask call on DRC was incredibly bad. to call the facemask on DRC but not call the illegal hands to the face on holmes is rediculous. and dont even try to tell me that the ref couldn't see that, his version of a stiffarm was his hands straight in DRC's face

As an offensive player, that is legal. It is not on defense. That was actually the right call, although I thought there were a few sketchy calls made against the Cards.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby numba3511 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:53 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:i agree. the interception wasnt that great. Yeah he picked it off and ran it all the way , but it was thrown right to him. And the analysts were all making a huge deal about the run back and how they couldn't beleive he made it the whole way, he's an NFL linebacker, i hope he can run 100 yards .

I thought it was a pretty big deal for him to make it 100 yards while slipping through a couple of tackles..
私はちょうどあなたにこれほど上への翻訳ウェブサイトを見させました
numba3511
NDPreps Starter

Postby thatguy422 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:22 pm

numba3511 wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:i agree. the interception wasnt that great. Yeah he picked it off and ran it all the way , but it was thrown right to him. And the analysts were all making a huge deal about the run back and how they couldn't beleive he made it the whole way, he's an NFL linebacker, i hope he can run 100 yards .

I thought it was a pretty big deal for him to make it 100 yards while slipping through a couple of tackles..

Not sure about it but it looked to me like fitzgerald got blocked in the back when he was going to tackle harrison on that return. I didn't watch the replay more than 3 times though so I'm not sure but that's what i saw.

Also, I don't see why they wouldn't review the fumble. Even if they don't overturn it (which I believe it would have been), why not review it? It's the flippen Super Bowl, wouldn't you want all the calls to be right?
Last edited by thatguy422 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsguruguy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:33 pm

numba3511 wrote:

That play was game changing, huge!If that wouldnt have taken place the outcome would have been different. If you watch the replay you can see alot of cardinal players giving up on the interception. I think the coaching staff of the cardinals were very upset.Excellent game!!!

I didnt understand why Wizonhunt(spelling) deffered the ball at the opening coin flip.Then that interception happened at the end of the half and the cardinals got the ball at the beginning of the 2 half, it made him look like a genius.
Boldin is a free agent , that would be great if the purple picked him up to help barrian and the rest of the receiving core.
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby thatguy422 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:27 am

thatguy422 wrote:[
Not sure about it but it looked to me like fitzgerald got blocked in the back when he was going to tackle harrison on that return. I didn't watch the replay more than 3 times though so I'm not sure but that's what i saw.

Also, I don't see why they wouldn't review the fumble. Even if they don't overturn it (which I believe it would have been), why not review it? It's the flippen Super Bowl, wouldn't you want all the calls to be right?

#34 mighta got blocked in the back, not fitzgerald, my bad.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:37 am

sportsguruguy wrote:
numba3511 wrote:

That play was game changing, huge!If that wouldnt have taken place the outcome would have been different. If you watch the replay you can see alot of cardinal players giving up on the interception. I think the coaching staff of the cardinals were very upset.Excellent game!!!

I didnt understand why Wizonhunt(spelling) deffered the ball at the opening coin flip.Then that interception happened at the end of the half and the cardinals got the ball at the beginning of the 2 half, it made him look like a genius.
Boldin is a free agent , that would be great if the purple picked him up to help barrian and the rest of the receiving core.

Boldin has 2 yrs left on his 4yr contract. He wants a new contract or be traded.

On the interception Warner didn't make that bad of a read, he got fooled by one of Lebeau's fakes. The entire first half Harrison was blitzing off that lineup and the slant was the right hot receiver if he did rush. But it was a nice job by the Steelers D quickly setting up the return.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nativegolfer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:30 pm

Ya I thought it was a really poorly officaited game. Ike taylor was clearly clipped by Fitz on the long pass play to Boldin in the 2nd that led to the Cards first TD. Fitz went out of bounds and came back in to tackle Harrison on the 100 yarder, Hartings didn't hold on the safety he was just knocked on his a$$, Urban clearly held Polamalu on one of the pass plays in the 4th. Polamalu actually complained to refs which he never does so I'd be inclined to think he was held, plus you can see it on the replay. And Harrison was bein held the whole game but only 2 were called?? Come on! GO STEELERS!!!!!!
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby clutch24 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:38 pm

nativegolfer wrote:Ya I thought it was a really poorly officaited game. Ike taylor was clearly clipped by Fitz on the long pass play to Boldin in the 2nd that led to the Cards first TD. Fitz went out of bounds and came back in to tackle Harrison on the 100 yarder, Hartings didn't hold on the safety he was just knocked on his a$$, Urban clearly held Polamalu on one of the pass plays in the 4th. Polamalu actually complained to refs which he never does so I'd be inclined to think he was held, plus you can see it on the replay. And Harrison was bein held the whole game but only 2 were called?? Come on! GO STEELERS!!!!!!

It was poorly officiated. But it was poorly officiated both ways. Not just for the Steelers.
...The day you take it for granted, Is the day you begin to fall...
clutch24
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mustanghero » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:21 pm

Myself being a Steelers fan I was jacked if all else that the steelers made it into the superbowl, and then I read an article in the paper about how the Cardinals were disrespect the steeler's national flag the Terrible Towel, so then it became personal & there's a curse on those who disrespect it! which sealed the deal for the Steelers to win. I would have to admit that Harrison's pick was awesome, but his stupid mistake of a personal foul made em lose all respect for him. Troy's interception was dominant, wasn't even running full speed lol!
Find a sport you love, and you'll never practice a day in your career
Mustanghero
NDPreps Starter

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things