Greatest College Starting 5 of all time

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Greatest College Starting 5 of all time

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:24 pm

how much yoou wanna bet that he would score at the 3 still? hahaha, and to you Warmblooded, the UNC bench, after you n ame your top 5 of all time, would kill duke's top 5
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:50 pm

let him score...who's he going to guard that plays the three...
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:03 pm

Its UNC....who are they goign to guard as a team.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:53 pm

actually i don't know if duke would be in the top 10....because they wouldn't be able to guard anyone inside....grant hill playing the 4 are you kidding me?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WarmBlooded » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:35 pm

Do you watch how Duke plays defense. They help and switch so well that their bigs are use to playing people small and their guards are use to playing bigs in the post cause they know they got help coming over. Contain and pressure. That is all you have to do. And DUKE does it as well as anybody. What is G.Hill 6'6, 6'7. He would be alright. Lets see your PF guard him. Not going to happen. To quick.

Remember...being a smart defender goes along ways, and you have to be pretty smart to get into DUKE. Unlike UNC!!!
WarmBlooded
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:45 pm

WarmBlooded wrote:Do you watch how Duke plays defense. They help and switch so well that their bigs are use to playing people small and their guards are use to playing bigs in the post cause they know they got help coming over. Contain and pressure. That is all you have to do. And DUKE does it as well as anybody. What is G.Hill 6'6, 6'7. He would be alright. Lets see your PF guard him. Not going to happen. To quick.

Remember...being a smart defender goes along ways, and you have to be pretty smart to get into DUKE. Unlike UNC!!!

they executed that defense perfect today against clemson..
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:52 am

baseball wrote:Its UNC....who are they goign to guard as a team.

i think i'd rather score 100 and give up 80 , then then give up 70 and lose.. obviously they are going to give up a lot of points, its their style of play they run and shoot.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball18 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:20 am

BballFan1307 wrote:

i think i'd rather score 100 and give up 80 , then then give up 70 and lose.. obviously they are going to give up a lot of points, its their style of play they run and shoot.

UNC does not guard the perimeter well though
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:51 am

BballFan1307 wrote:

so its because the way they play that their opponents shoot better then 40% from the field?? your half right because the way they play is to outscore them, not stop them from scoring.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:26 am

Well i don't consider 40 % that good of shooting, but their opponents get alot more shots. They are only giving up 71 points per game, thats not too terrible when they are averaging 94 a game.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WarmBlooded » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:44 am

baseball wrote:
WarmBlooded wrote:Do you watch how Duke plays defense. They help and switch so well that their bigs are use to playing people small and their guards are use to playing bigs in the post cause they know they got help coming over. Contain and pressure. That is all you have to do. And DUKE does it as well as anybody. What is G.Hill 6'6, 6'7. He would be alright. Lets see your PF guard him. Not going to happen. To quick.

Yeah, not so much. That was ugly to watch. Those nights happen though, especially on the road in the ACC!!
WarmBlooded
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:47 am

WarmBlooded wrote:
baseball wrote:

Yeah, not so much. That was ugly to watch. Those nights happen though, especially on the road in the ACC!!

haha yea....that may possibly be the worst i have ever seen a Duke team play.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:09 am

duke needs to recruit athletes...not mathletes.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:49 am

WarmBlooded wrote:When picking my starting 5 for Duke, you have to take into account the evolution of the athlete. I don't feel that Johnny Dawkins could guard Jay Williams. Personal opinion. So here is my all-time Duke 5.

G-Bobby Hurley
G-Jay Williams
F-JJ Reddick
F-Grant Hill
C-Christian Laetner

Bench: Johnny Dawkins, Danny Ferry, Elton Brand, Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer, and of couse Steve Wojokowski (sp) to be the guy at the end of the bench waving the towel and slapping the floor!!

UNC starting 5:

Who cares!!

Ok I could think of multiple lineups to duke lacrosse that line-up. Ty Lawson would run circles around Bobby Hurley. Vince Carter or MJ would be far too big for Jay Williams. Even Joseph Forte rivaled with Williams his one year at UNC. There are so many people that would victimize reddick at the three it's insane: James Worthy, VC, Antawn Jamison, Marvin Williams would own Reddick. Hill and Laettner in the painthave fun guarding Hansbrough, Brandon Wright, Sam Perkins, Sean May or Jamison. Why don't you put Josh McRoberts in that line-up as well? For Duke's Line up I would have

G - Jay Williams
G - JJ Redick
F - Grant Hill
F - Carlos Boozer
C - Christain Laettner

Bench - Shane Battier, Mike Dunleavy, Elton Brand, Bobby Hurly
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:14 am

wonderful post.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:40 pm

If smart defenders go a long ways why does duke have 1/2 the players in the NBA that UNC does and UNC has Michael Jordan who is one of the best defenders the NBA ever had. First team all-defense like 11 times and defensive player of the year once in the NBA, not too shabby. The only reason Duke players make the NBA is because they are good defenders. Outside of Grant Hill there aren't many if any duke players drafted to the NBA for their offensive abilities.

Also when you are recruiting basketball players are you going to look at who has the highest ACT/SAT score or who can jump the highest and run the fastest? You do have to be pretty smart to get into DUKE, which is why they recruit rapists like the Lacrosse players and alcoholics like JJ Redick.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:48 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:

If smart defenders go a long ways why does duke have 1/2 the players in the NBA that UNC does and UNC has Michael Jordan who is one of the best defenders the NBA ever had. First team all-defense like 11 times and defensive player of the year once in the NBA, not too shabby. The only reason Duke players make the NBA is because they are good defenders. Outside of Grant Hill there aren't many if any duke players drafted to the NBA for their offensive abilities.

Also when you are recruiting basketball players are you going to look at who has the highest ACT/SAT score or who can jump the highest and run the fastest? You do have to be pretty smart to get into DUKE, which is why they recruit rapists like the Lacrosse players and alcoholics like JJ Redick.

I bet Hansbrough was sober jumping from a balcony...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby WarmBlooded » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:10 pm

When did this topic turn into Duke vs UNC?? I was just stating my opinion on who I think is who should be the Duke starting 5. God forbid any player for Duke being able to guard any player from UNC. That just doesn't happen.

For Duke's all time starting 5, you aren't going to start the PG that went to 3 final fours. I guess that is your opinion. I would take bobby hurley on my team any day. Even over the great Ty Lawson.
WarmBlooded
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WarmBlooded » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Yep, and Michael Jordan was betting with Monopoly money.

Classic response from a UNC lover..."compare UNC players in the NBA to Duke's." How does a statement about being a smart defender go to "Duke has half the players in the NBA than duke does"?
WarmBlooded
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:41 pm

Duke recruits mathletes...not athletes
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WarmBlooded » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:51 pm

Yes, we got that reply 6 days ago. Great line. Hope my acknowledgement of the reply makes you feel better.
WarmBlooded
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:42 pm

well seriously...we got your reply about dukies supposed defense the first time you said it. I love the fact that you have that picture of Tyler as your avatar...pretty cool? are you trying to show that he's soft cause he's bleeding when someone elbowed him in the face? If you honestly think that J.J Reddick could defend any two that would be on UNC's all time roster, then your dumber than i thought. And Duke switches their little guys on to big guys? Have you ever talked to any coach with a brain? Would you like to see the things that Tyler would do to a dukie guard? Well i can guarantee you he would look worse than tyler does in your picture. Maybe you should ask coach K how the last four years have been against UNC in Cameron? pretty good huh? And for the record I hate both UNC and Duke, but I can respect any player who goes out and wins 4 straight years in supposedly the toughest place in america to play at. Hope my acknowledgement of your picture makes you feel better.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:13 pm

As for your asking me about taking Jay Williams over Bobby Hurley, I can’t believe it’s even a question. As a sophomore he helped lead Duke to the National Championship. He led all tournament scorers with an average of 25.7 ppg. During the regular season he averaged 21.6 ppg to lead the ACC in scoring and 6.1 assists per game were second in the league. His Junior year he won the Naismith and Wooden award as College Basketball’s Player of the year. In three years at Duke he scored 2,079 points 6th all-time and had his jersey number 22 retired on Senior Day.

Bobby Hurley was lucky to be on Duke’s team during their dynasty in the early 90’s. Had he played at Duke during an era where they didn’t make the final four, his play wouldn’t get them there. I really am starting to question your intelligence not only as a fan of college basketball, but a fan of sports in general. If you honestly think Bobby Hurley is better than Jay Williams you must be lucky enough to have 47 chromosomes instead of the classic 46.

If you are coaching that joke of a line up you put on the floor, what’s your game plan? How are any of those “bigs” going to defend any of these teams? Not even just UNC. I’d pay to watch Grant Hill guard Alonzo Mourning or Patrick Ewing. Let’s put Laettner on Kareem maybe. Since Redick can play the three lets see him play against Kevin Durant, Richard Jefferson, Danny Manning, Carmelo Anthony, or Jason Richardson? You are making this so easy.

To your response about ” How does a statement about being a smart defender go to "Duke has half the players in the NBA than duke does"?” What I meant is that you said “being a smart defender goes a long ways” which is obviously untrue when Duke’s players max out at the college level. They haven’t gone very far. It’s not like UNC plays no defense at all either. You are making them out to be the Dallas Mavericks of the 02-05 era. You have to have a good mix of both offense and defense. Duke plays great defense, I’ll give them that but the second they run into a team that is on fire that night, they don’t have the firepower on offense to beat them. UNC plays enough defense and has the speed to get out on the open floor and score on the break quickly.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:16 pm

baseball wrote:Kansas

C - Wilt Chamberlain
PF - Nick Collison
SF - Danny Manning
SG - Paul Pierce
PG - Jojo White
6th - Raef LaFrentz

I like that line up but I'd probably put Drew Gooden in over Collison, I'd also have Jeff Boschee somewhere on that team.. all-time leader in 3 pointers made in the big 12 has to have a spot.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:26 pm

UNC Line-Up

PG - Ty Lawson
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - James Worthy
PF - Tyler Hansbrough
C - Sam Perkins

Bench - Marvin Williams, Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Rashad McCants, Brad Daugherty, Sean May, Joseph Forte, Ed Cota, Brendan Haywood, Raymond Felton

Head Coach: Dean Smith
Assistant Coach: Roy Williams, Larry Brown

Head of Recruiting: Brad Daugherty, Dean Smith
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things