Greatest College Starting 5 of all time

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Greatest College Starting 5 of all time

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:19 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
baseball wrote:Kansas

C - Wilt Chamberlain
PF - Nick Collison
SF - Danny Manning
SG - Paul Pierce
PG - Jojo White
6th - Raef LaFrentz

I like that line up but I'd probably put Drew Gooden in over Collison, I'd also have Jeff Boschee somewhere on that team.. all-time leader in 3 pointers made in the big 12 has to have a spot.

Gooden and Collison would be a toss up. I was just more a fan of Collison i guess haha...never really was a huge Gooden guy. Who would you take off for Boschee? im the guys biggest fan but to say he was top 10 player ever to play at KU is false. if you go by records...Collison was the conference's all time leading rebounder, thats why i put him on haha.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:55 am

baseball wrote:

C - Wilt Chamberlain
PF - Nick Collison
SF - Danny Manning
SG - Paul Pierce
PG - Jojo White
6th - Raef LaFrentz

I like that line up but I'd probably put Drew Gooden in over Collison, I'd also have Jeff Boschee somewhere on that team.. all-time leader in 3 pointers made in the big 12 has to have a spot.

Gooden and Collison would be a toss up. I was just more a fan of Collison i guess haha...never really was a huge Gooden guy. Who would you take off for Boschee? im the guys biggest fan but to say he was top 10 player ever to play at KU is false. if you go by records...Collison was the conference's all time leading rebounder, thats why i put him on haha.

I wouldn't have in the starting lineup but he could come off the bench and especially be a zone buster. his guy would have to go double Chamberlain and Gooden and collison and thats where Boschee would get his shots.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:06 pm

I would go with Hinrich then since he is the KU career leader in 3pt FG%
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:20 pm

Baller wrote:
baseball wrote:

C - Wilt Chamberlain
PF - Nick Collison
SF - Danny Manning
SG - Paul Pierce
PG - Jojo White
6th - Raef LaFrentz

I wouldn't have in the starting lineup but he could come off the bench and especially be a zone buster. his guy would have to go double Chamberlain and Gooden and collison and thats where Boschee would get his shots.

Yeah I guess I can't say he's starting over Paul Pierce or Jojo White but maybe get him on the team instead of Raef Lafrentz. They won't need much depth for big guys. Wilt Chaimberlain never fould out of a game in his life so he would be able to play all the time.

PG - JoJo White
SG - Paul Pierce
SF - Danny Manning
PF - Drew Gooden
C - Wilt Chaimberlain
6th man - Jeff Boschee

Once you put Boschee in the line up for any of those guys they could all move up a position. Pierce could play the 3, manning the 4, gooden the 5. If not the sixth man he's definitely the 7th man.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:19 pm

For a team, I'd take the Fab 5 from Michigan

Chris Webber, Jimmy King, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard and Ray Jackson
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:47 pm

Mighty-Mouse wrote:For a team, I'd take the Fab 5 from Michigan

Chris Webber, Jimmy King, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard and Ray Jackson

Well they never won a championship so I guess I'd take '92 Duke or '93 UNC over them any day.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:27 pm

i'd take Raymond Felton, Rashad McCants, Sean May, Marvin Williams and Jawad Williams 04-05 national champions
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Baller wrote:
baseball wrote:

C - Wilt Chamberlain
PF - Nick Collison
SF - Danny Manning
SG - Paul Pierce
PG - Jojo White
6th - Raef LaFrentz

Yeah I guess I can't say he's starting over Paul Pierce or Jojo White but maybe get him on the team instead of Raef Lafrentz. They won't need much depth for big guys. Wilt Chaimberlain never fould out of a game in his life so he would be able to play all the time.

PG - JoJo White
SG - Paul Pierce
SF - Danny Manning
PF - Drew Gooden
C - Wilt Chaimberlain
6th man - Jeff Boschee

Once you put Boschee in the line up for any of those guys they could all move up a position. Pierce could play the 3, manning the 4, gooden the 5. If not the sixth man he's definitely the 7th man.

I dont know if you guys realize what category your putting Boschee in....was he a better Jayhawk then Kirk Hinrich, Brandon Rush, Darnell Valentine, Billy Thomas, Jaqcue Vaugn, even Keith Langford? Keith Langford would cause as much havoc to a zone from the lane as Boschee would from outside...see Syracuse title game in 03
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:26 am

baseball wrote:
Baller wrote:
baseball wrote:

C - Wilt Chamberlain
PF - Nick Collison
SF - Danny Manning
SG - Paul Pierce
PG - Jojo White
6th - Raef LaFrentz

PG - JoJo White
SG - Paul Pierce
SF - Danny Manning
PF - Drew Gooden
C - Wilt Chaimberlain
6th man - Jeff Boschee

I dont know if you guys realize what category your putting Boschee in....was he a better Jayhawk then Kirk Hinrich, Brandon Rush, Darnell Valentine, Billy Thomas, Jaqcue Vaugn, even Keith Langford? Keith Langford would cause as much havoc to a zone from the lane as Boschee would from outside...see Syracuse title game in 03

Well if you're talking about a zone breaker what better than the all-time leader in three pointers made in the Big 12? Brandon Rush and Keith Langford were good but they are just lesser versions of Danny Manning and Paul Pierce. That team needs a shooter to keep defenses honest. While I do respect your opinion in this topic, please tell me you did not just name drop Jacque Vaughn on this list, lol.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:15 pm

Maybe not for a zone breaker...but if you ever make a trip to Allen Fieldhouse look at the rafters. youll see a banner with the number 11 and the name Vaughn under it. he was a pretty good college player, have you ever seen him get to the lane? I'm sure he could cause havoc in a zone the same way Langford would, by getting in the lane.

and if your talking about a zone breaker...since AJ Abrams plays for Texas, i dont think the all-time leader in three pointers made in the Big 12 could work. would you rather have the guy who was 338-843 from 3 or the guy who was 324-765? Sign me up the latter...Hinrich. better finisher around the hoop, better playmaker, quicker with and without the ball.

as for Langford and Rush being lesser versions of Peirce and Manning, maybe that can be true for Langford since his and Pierce's slashing ability was a push but Pierce had a jumper. Rush and Manning were nowhere near the same player. Manning was a 6'11" 4 who used agility (when he had knees) to face up his man and take him to the hole...much like Julian Wright. Rush was a 6'6" 3-man who was a perimeter oriented player who never took full advantage of his slashing ability...like JR Giddens his 2 years at KU. The only similarity between Rush and Manning was that they both wear #25.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:50 pm

baseball wrote:Maybe not for a zone breaker...but if you ever make a trip to Allen Fieldhouse look at the rafters. youll see a banner with the number 11 and the name Vaughn under it. he was a pretty good college player, have you ever seen him get to the lane? I'm sure he could cause havoc in a zone the same way Langford would, by getting in the lane.

and if your talking about a zone breaker...since AJ Abrams plays for Texas, i dont think the all-time leader in three pointers made in the Big 12 could work. would you rather have the guy who was 338-843 from 3 or the guy who was 324-765? Sign me up the latter...Hinrich. better finisher around the hoop, better playmaker, quicker with and without the ball.

as for Langford and Rush being lesser versions of Peirce and Manning, maybe that can be true for Langford since his and Pierce's slashing ability was a push but Pierce had a jumper. Rush and Manning were nowhere near the same player. Manning was a 6'11" 4 who used agility (when he had knees) to face up his man and take him to the hole...much like Julian Wright. Rush was a 6'6" 3-man who was a perimeter oriented player who never took full advantage of his slashing ability...like JR Giddens his 2 years at KU. The only similarity between Rush and Manning was that they both wear #25.

Well in all fairness Abrams broke the record under a month ago....i would prefer having Hinrich over jeff.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:49 am

good point schwab haha....im still waiting for n_b_e to explain how Rush and Manning were the same type of player haha.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:35 am

kobe had 39 , 5 and 5 against an actual good playoff team.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:05 am

BballFan1307 wrote:kobe had 39 , 5 and 5 against an actual good playoff team.

so which college team do u think he should be put on?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:16 am

hahahahahaha whoops. late night. i think i made that post around 230 whoops. sory
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:44 pm

baseball wrote:good point schwab haha....im still waiting for n_b_e to explain how Rush and Manning were the same type of player haha.

Baseball I dind't mean they were mirror images of each other but If you have Pierce and Danny Manning on the floor you don't need Rush or Langford on the team cause they'll never play. That's what I meant when I said "lesser versions" of those two. I also never individually compared Rush to Manning or Langford to Pierce or the other way around. It was meant to compare them as a pair. Maybe I should've explained myself better the first time but I thought what I said was to the point. Hopefully now you can understand better.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:36 pm

And Boschee would play on that team? how do you figure that Rush and Langford never would, but Boschee would?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:54 pm

baseball wrote:And Boschee would play on that team? how do you figure that Rush and Langford never would, but Boschee would?

Apparently you haven't read any of my posts here. I'm not saying that Jeff Boschee was better than Langford and Rush in college. I'm saying that he should play on that team because the team put out there didn't have a knock down shooter. Some argued for Kirk Hinrich cause he was more accurate and I could see that. All-star teams always fail. You need a guy like Boschee on this team who would be able to come in, hit outside shots, and know his role. Hinrich would be good too, I just said Boschee obviously cause he's my favorite Jayhakw. I think you need to relax a little bit.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things