Vikings QB in 09-10 season

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Vikings QB in 09-10 season

Postby sportsguruguy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:17 pm

Just curious on what you viking rubes opinion on whos going to be the starting QB. Whether it is what we have now or who will fit the best in purple due to free agency or the draft.
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Re: Vikings QB in 09-10 season

Postby Flip » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:13 pm

strib had a story after the loss to Eagles and they were quite confident next year's QB won't be anybody that was on this year's roster. I wish they could get McNabb (unlikely), maybe someone like Matt Cassell? I can hope.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:19 pm

McNabb wont be available i don't think. I hope to god they don't get Cassel, because he's probably gonna cost a 1st and 3rd rounder and then big money contract. He's in a good system with Moss and Welker. Too much picks and money to use on him. Maybe Jeff Garcia.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby numba3511 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:30 pm

I would much rather have T. Jackson at QB then Cassel for the same reason just said.. the draft picks.. I think T. Jackson has the potential to come around to be a decent quarterback.. nothing great
私はちょうどあなたにこれほど上への翻訳ウェブサイトを見させました
numba3511
NDPreps Starter

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:16 am

agreed.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball18 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:21 am

no way will the vikings get a QB like Jeff Garcia, with his age. If they get another QB it will be one (or should IMO) be someone who they want for a long time. Matt Cassel would be a bad choice as well because they would have to give up high draft picks and that's how you keep a team moving forward and improve is by drafting. If they could some how get Cassell for something less then it makes a lot of sense. But no way they get McNabb either, Eagles will keep him around. Right now the Vikings need a Plan A for QB and their Plan B needs to be T-Jack.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:14 am

They will probably talk Frerotte into retiring and bring in another guy. I see the Vikings doing that and signing Garcia, or another veteran like Kerry Collins, or even if Farve is somehow released, he could be convinced one more season with Minnesota would be alright. If that's the case they will roll much like this year with either the new guy, or Jackson starting. Childress has too big of an ego to admit that Jackson is not the answer yet. JD Booty will hopefully develop into a decent west coast QB, I could see him taking advantage of the controversy and getting in the mix next year. He was bad in pre-season, but he will have had a whole year under his belt to learn the system and could surprise some people.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:38 am

i think that Garcia would be the perfect guy to bring in for one year and mentor Tjack. First off, the guy is a winner. Everywhere he goes he wins games. Second, he doesn't make mistakes, he does what he has to in order to win. Lastly, he woud help Tarvaris sooo much with developing into a scrambling quarterback. He'll teach him when the right time to run and the right time to throw is. just my thoughts.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby thejoker » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:47 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:i think that Garcia would be the perfect guy to bring in for one year and mentor Tjack. First off, the guy is a winner. Everywhere he goes he wins games. Second, he doesn't make mistakes, he does what he has to in order to win. Lastly, he woud help Tarvaris sooo much with developing into a scrambling quarterback. He'll teach him when the right time to run and the right time to throw is. just my thoughts.

Jackson has already had a mentor (Gus). He doesn't need another.
T-Jax is already developing into a scrambling quarterback. No need to sign a big money guy to teach him that.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:36 pm

thejoker wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:i think that Garcia would be the perfect guy to bring in for one year and mentor Tjack. First off, the guy is a winner. Everywhere he goes he wins games. Second, he doesn't make mistakes, he does what he has to in order to win. Lastly, he woud help Tarvaris sooo much with developing into a scrambling quarterback. He'll teach him when the right time to run and the right time to throw is. just my thoughts.

T-Jax is already developing into a scrambling quarterback. No need to sign a big money guy to teach him that.

Gus is not a mentor, gus is a bad quarterback. Tjack is not a good scrambler. One game he has 75 yards rushing then the next two games he doesn't run the ball once? Garcia would not just be his mentor he would win games and he wont be toooo expensive.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby point/center » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:05 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:They will probably talk Frerotte into retiring and bring in another guy. I see the Vikings doing that and signing Garcia, or another veteran like Kerry Collins, or even if Farve is somehow released, he could be convinced one more season with Minnesota would be alright. If that's the case they will roll much like this year with either the new guy, or Jackson starting. Childress has too big of an ego to admit that Jackson is not the answer yet. JD Booty will hopefully develop into a decent west coast QB, I could see him taking advantage of the controversy and getting in the mix next year. He was bad in pre-season, but he will have had a whole year under his belt to learn the system and could surprise some people.

When I see guy's like Matt Ryan doing very well as a rookie I wonder how long they'll give Jackson to 'develop' how much is enough? I think it's time to cut him loose and try to forget this bad dream. Matt Cassel or Matt Stafford would be better options in '09.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:43 pm

If they go for a rookie, i owuld hope they either trade up for Mark Sanchez or hope he falls to 23, he's got a cannon
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby thejoker » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:02 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
thejoker wrote:

Gus is not a mentor, gus is a bad quarterback. Tjack is not a good scrambler. One game he has 75 yards rushing then the next two games he doesn't run the ball once? Garcia would not just be his mentor he would win games and he wont be toooo expensive.

Gus a bad quarterback?

Try 8-3 as a starter.

To be a good scrambler, you do not need to average 75 yards/game. Michael Vick, arguably the the best scrambling QB ever, averaged about 50 yards throughout his career.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:09 pm

thejoker wrote:Gus a bad quarterback?
Try 8-3 as a starter.

I agree with a previous poster: Gus is a bad QB. TJack had a similar record 2007.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:38 pm

okay joker????...
gus is a bad qb.... YES... 8-3 as a starter... the wins had nothing to do with Gus Frerotte... lets take a look at your good qb's stats.

59% compl. 12 td's 15 INT's 29 sacks... = Bad quarterback

Also, never once did i say he needed to average 75 yards, i said one game he has 75 then has 0 in the next two..he needs consistency... his legs are what will carry him not his arm.. garcia would teach him when to run and when to pass.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby thejoker » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:01 am

BballFan1307 wrote:okay joker????...
gus is a bad qb.... YES... 8-3 as a starter... the wins had nothing to do with Gus Frerotte... lets take a look at your good qb's stats.

59% compl. 12 td's 15 INT's 29 sacks... = Bad quarterback

Also, never once did i say he needed to average 75 yards, i said one game he has 75 then has 0 in the next two..he needs consistency... his legs are what will carry him not his arm.. garcia would teach him when to run and when to pass.

I don't care what your winning percentage is, or even if you threw a couple more Interceptions than touchdowns.
I care about wins.

Yes, AP did the majority of the workload this year, but it still takes a decent quarterback to lead a team into playoff position.

Gus is not a bad QB.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:18 am

I'm not even saying T-Jack is good, he's bad. But so is Gus, he is bad. Tjack's record was 8-4 last year, so why is he a bad qb then huh?
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby thejoker » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:42 am

BballFan1307 wrote:I'm not even saying T-Jack is good, he's bad. But so is Gus, he is bad. Tjack's record was 8-4 last year, so why is he a bad qb then huh?

He isn't a bad quarterback either, and I never said he was in the first place.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:59 pm

Okay, so Gus isn't bad, because he rode Ap and the vikes D to a 7-3 record. What about the rest of his career.... He has a career LOSING record.... but just because this year he had an amazing running game and D you dont think he's bad.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:38 pm

thejoker wrote:I don't care what your winning percentage is...I care about wins.

WAT?!?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:53 pm

I think Jackson makes some dumb decisions because his career at Alabama St. didn't prepare him enough for the NFL. But I've watched about 95% of all the Viking games in the past 30 years and this is by far the most predictable offense I've ever seen from them. Somebody please explain to me when they have seen Jackson audible into a big play. Until that day happens, this offense will not be able to get past the first round in the playoffs. Gus has a good arm and doesn't make stupid mistakes, but I think this version of the west coast offense requires a quarterback like McNabb who is mobile. But don't expect to see McNabb in Purple anytime soon. Perhaps Garcia is looking to get out of Tampa now. Childress is too stubborn to make any changes anyway.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball18 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:59 pm

The Vikings are not gonna go after Jeff Garcia, he's 39 years old and probably only has one more year in him. They're either gonna keep T-Jack the starter or get somebody who they will be able to have for a few years, like Cassel, but if it's for a high price, like their high draft picks, not a chance...
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby thejoker » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:00 am

Flip wrote:
thejoker wrote:I don't care what your winning percentage is...I care about wins.

WAT?!?

Completion percentage
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball4life » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:51 pm

baseball18 wrote:The Vikings are not gonna go after Jeff Garcia, he's 39 years old and probably only has one more year in him. They're either gonna keep T-Jack the starter or get somebody who they will be able to have for a few years, like Cassel, but if it's for a high price, like their high draft picks, not a chance...

I have a bad feeling that you are correct. And it makes sense not to trade away high draft picks for Cassel, but even if Garcia only has 1 more year, the Vikings line is getting old, and next year might be the best year to look for a one year quarterback in my eyes, even though it isn't a best case scenario. One thing stands strong in my mind, and it is that T-Jack is never going to be the answer at QB for the Vikes.
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NE B-Baller 242 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:33 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Matt Hasselback in a Viking uniform.
- he's a veteran who isn't ancient
- could come somewhat cheap ( second round from rebuilding seahawks)
If winning isn't everything why do we keep score?
NE B-Baller 242
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things