UNC 08-09

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

UNC 08-09

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:00 pm

i know it seems impossible, but this team is really showing they could be great, does anyone think these tarheels will finish the year undefeated?
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: UNC 08-09

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:50 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:i know it seems impossible, but this team is really showing they could be great, does anyone think these tarheels will finish the year undefeated?

I don't know about undeated but I can see them in the final four
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby TheYessMan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:35 pm

Mighty-Mouse wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:i know it seems impossible, but this team is really showing they could be great, does anyone think these tarheels will finish the year undefeated?

I don't know about undeated but I can see them in the final four

They better hope that hansborough, green, and lawson are healthy or else it spells trouble for the tarheels
TheYessMan
TheYessMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:43 pm

No

too many games in a major conference to finish undefeated. ill say it again cuz i have since williams was at KU...if they get a team that can play defense and score they are done. I think a 40-12 deficit to start the final four is an example of that. Roy Williams is the best coach before the Christmas break and always seems to have the best teams in dec-jan. he has yet to cut down the nets with his own players, if he doesnt get it done this year i begin to doubt if he ever will.

that said if they dont win the NC they choked big time. their hasnt been this kind of hype for a team in recent memory.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:46 pm

I say if they don't make it to the final four the season was a bust. They are stacked this year. They have great talent all across the board. The only thing I am afraid of is their lack of depth in the front court. The injury to Tyler Zeller might hurt in March.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball18 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:33 pm

a team like UConn and Gonzaga could take them down. They both have the bigs to play with UNC, remember when Heytvelt dominated Psycho T two years ago? haha and Heytvelt is back to himself now. Thabeet would dominate Hansbrough and UNC could have trouble with him. But I think UNC will no doubt be in the Final Four and probably be in the NC, but like baseball said, if they find a team that can play defense and score too they will lose. Plus, UNC struggled last year with perimeter defense, KU killed them on that. Pittsburgh is another team that could take em out too.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:44 pm

haha if they play a team that can play d and score? they've played the number 8 team and number 12 team and beat them by 30, and yeah thabeet or heytvelt would probably stop hansbrough, but unc has the most underated player in the nation in lawson. not to mention ginyard will come back and add to the defense.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball18 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:39 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:haha if they play a team that can play d and score? they've played the number 8 team and number 12 team and beat them by 30, and yeah thabeet or heytvelt would probably stop hansbrough, but unc has the most underated player in the nation in lawson. not to mention ginyard will come back and add to the defense.

they obviously are not the number 8 and 12 teams, Notre Dame lost to Ohio St. and michigan st. lost to Maryland
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:31 am

notre dame beat texas... they are 6th now? so what does that mean.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:02 am

Notre Dame beat Texas on a day when Abrams was 8-27....he shoots close to his average Texas wins by 10+.

Michigan beat UCLA and Duke. does that make then a top 10 team?

I personally would love to see Syracuse play UNC. flynn, who could make an arguement for best PG in the country, would take Lawson to school IMO. Onuaku is underrated and would hold his own against Hansbrough and out muscle him. Remember last year when Hansbrough got abused by a raw Freshman in the final four? he faces athletic big men who have "heart" to he's not so great. Harris would have the athletic advantage over Thompson. Ellington >>>> Devendorf. and Rautins and Green would just have a 3 point contest.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:23 am

baseball wrote:Notre Dame beat Texas on a day when Abrams was 8-27....he shoots close to his average Texas wins by 10+.

I personally would love to see Syracuse play UNC. flynn, who could make an arguement for best PG in the country, would take Lawson to school IMO. Onuaku is underrated and would hold his own against Hansbrough and out muscle him. Remember last year when Hansbrough got abused by a raw Freshman in the final four? he faces athletic big men who have "heart" to he's not so great. Harris would have the athletic advantage over Thompson. Ellington >>>> Devendorf. and Rautins and Green would just have a 3 point contest.

First off, 17 points and 9 rebounds i dont consider getting abused. Held under his avearge, yes, but not abused. Second, what has Syracuse done that would make you think they could come close to UNC, they beat richmond by 5 points, snuck by a weak kansas team in OT, beat virginia( a weak ACC team) by 3 points and beat Cornell by 10 points. You can't say that these guys would match up against UNC like that. Lawson would not get takin to school. Let's say these guys can match up with them like you say, then what happens when they get tired? Ed davis, Larry Drew, Will Graves, Bobby Frasor and Ginyard, a whole new starting 5 that are capable of holding their own. . By the way, devendorf does not compare to ellington, sure ellingtons ppg are down this year, but he doesn't have to score.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:06 am

I know Devendorf doesnt compare...thats y i put about 6 greater then signs pointing to ellington saying hes much better. I also just said I would like to see it, not that Syracuse would win. Yea 17 and 9 isnt bad....but when I say abused by a freshman....watch the 16 minutes Aldrich was in the game. 8 pts, 7 reb, 4 blks. He abused hansbrough, took him out of the game, ripped rebrounds out of his hands...just plain out played him.

Whats Williams' great coaching move when his team is getting beat in a fast pace game? run faster guys....the guy can not make adjustments ont he fly. they dont have a half court offense. They are the Suns of college basektball. panic if there is a team that makes them work in a half court offense.

Yea they won by 40..but there is no way UNC should give up 70 points to Chaminade. 5 of there 8 opponents have shot over 41%. That wont hold up when they get in the tourney into the sweet 16 and elite 8 rounds.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:25 am

chaminade had 50 points with 5 minutes left in the game, so they started scoring on unc's reserves.... wouldnt be too worried about that.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:41 am

BballFan1307 wrote:chaminade had 50 points with 5 minutes left in the game, so they started scoring on unc's reserves.... wouldnt be too worried about that.

"Ed davis, Larry Drew, Will Graves, Bobby Frasor and Ginyard, a whole new starting 5 that are capable of holding their own"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:18 am

when i say reserves i mean, jack wooten, j.b. tanner, patrick moody, justin watts, and marc campbell, all played 5+ minutes...
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:24 am

baseball wrote:Notre Dame beat Texas on a day when Abrams was 8-27....he shoots close to his average Texas wins by 10+.

Johnny Flynn--- 19.5 ppg 1.8 rpg 1.8 steals pg 5.4 apg. 3.3 to pg A/TO = 1.65 FG%- 54% 3p%= 43% === 34 Minutes per game

Ty Lawson--- 16.1 ppg 2.4 rpg 3.0 steals pg 6.9 apg 1.1 to pg A/TO= 6.11 FG%- 55 % 3p% 54%===== 25 Minutes per game...

stats dont lie, lawson would defeat flynns argument for best PG in the country
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bisonslayer » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:28 am

BballFan1307 wrote:

Johnny Flynn--- 19.5 ppg 1.8 rpg 1.8 steals pg 5.4 apg. 3.3 to pg A/TO = 1.65 FG%- 54% 3p%= 43% === 34 Minutes per game

Ty Lawson--- 16.1 ppg 2.4 rpg 3.0 steals pg 6.9 apg 1.1 to pg A/TO= 6.11 FG%- 55 % 3p% 54%===== 25 Minutes per game...

If Johnny Flynn had a couple better players like Lawson this would be a better argument. IMO I think Flynn is a little bit better all-around player regardless of stats. Lawson is fast and hes fast and hes fast... Fast-break is his game, Flynn is a better half-court player.
North Dakota Preps JV Enforcer
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:28 am

i'm pretty sure there are people in the nation that are faster than lawson and not as good. HE is not just fast. he is shooting 54 % from 3, last time i checked thats pretty good. ANd here comes the old argument, he's not as good because his team is better. Thats rediculous. He makes his team better. I'd rather have a PG averaging 1 turnover a game , in a fast break offense then a guy averaging 3 a game in a half court offense. Yeah Flynn averages 3 more points per game, but he plays 11 more minutes.... does that make him a better all aroudn player?
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:37 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:

Its not my opinion that hes the best PG in the country. it was my opinion that he would get the better of Lawson. its the non-ESPN analyst and NBA scouts that tihnk Flynn is the best in the country. Flynn made collins look like a nervous freshman when they played Kansas, and collins is just a scoring version of Lawson.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:21 pm

scoring version of lawson huh, thats why he averages only 3 more points in 9 more minutes per game?
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:41 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:scoring version of lawson huh, thats why he averages only 3 more points in 9 more minutes per game?

im going by what hes asked to do, not what hes done

Self wants him to take 18-20 shots a game. id say thats what a coach would ask a scorer to do...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:56 pm

baseball wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:scoring version of lawson huh, thats why he averages only 3 more points in 9 more minutes per game?

im going by what hes asked to do, not what hes done

Self wants him to take 18-20 shots a game. id say thats what a coach would ask a scorer to do...

Collins is a scoring version of Lawson. He attacks in the half court set and shoots more in the half court. I would say Lawson gets 10 points per game just from running by the opposing team. There is nothing wrong with that, and they are both great point guards, but Collins is, and always has been more of a scorer. He averaged 29 per game as a senior in high school at Crane.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:28 pm

you guys, saying he is a scoring version of ty lawson is saying that he does everything lawson does except scores better. SUre, he may play of more of a scoring type of game, but last time i checked scoring off fast break is worth the same amount of points as hitting a pull up j or driving in and hitting a jumper. He is not a scoring version of lawson, He is a good player, but not any version of lawson.He shoots alot more, so that means he's a scoring version of Lawson? no.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:38 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:you guys, saying he is a scoring version of ty lawson is saying that he does everything lawson does except scores better. SUre, he may play of more of a scoring type of game, but last time i checked scoring off fast break is worth the same amount of points as hitting a pull up j or driving in and hitting a jumper. He is not a scoring version of lawson, He is a good player, but not any version of lawson.He shoots alot more, so that means he's a scoring version of Lawson? no.

I have to disagree with you. Lawson is a better passer, I'll give you that. But, if Lawson elevated on his jump shot, they would be almost identical players. They are big guards, 5-11-6' 190-205. Very athletic, explosive scorers who can hit the 3. Lawson is a better playmaker, but overall, they are very close in skill.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:54 pm

i'm not going to disagree that they are both athletic, and have the same build. and maybe collins has a better jump shot, even though lawson's 3p % is better, but Lawson is a better pg. He manages the game better, makes his team better, and does NOT turn the ball over, 6.5 assistss per TO , that is unreal, especially in a fast break offense where you have more opportunities to turn the ball over.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things