UNC 08-09

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: UNC 08-09

Postby BballFan1307 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:24 am

I think it'd be a surprise considering they'd be robbing good teams of a spot.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:36 am

baseball wrote:Yea I know the BCS only applies to football...but what are the conferences? Big XII, Big Ten, SEC, Big East, ACC, Pac-10....aka major conferences. you here them refered to as BCS conferences in basketball all the time, not just footbal. Sorry, it's just an easier way to talk about the major conferences and everyone knows who that is. I wouldnt be suprised this year is C-USA got 3 teams in this year. Tulsa and UAB arent bad teams.

REALLY?!?!?! NO WAY! Conference USA will get one bid..unless memphis gets upset in their conference tournament...neither of those teams have beat ANYONE good
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:37 pm

baseball wrote:not saying they will....just wouldnt suprise me if either or both got in.

How would that not surprise you? 9 losses and a terrible schedule isn't a very good resume to get into the tournament. You aren't even trying anymore are you?
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:39 pm

baseball wrote:I brought up MIchigan State because they are talk about year in and year out having one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the nation. most experts argue they have the toughest every year....followed by Memphis.

hoe did tennessee deserve a 1? sure its better then C-USA, but the SEC is the worst BCS conference in the country. I think Memphis proved they deserved the 1 by their dominance from the Sweet16 to the Final Four and Tennessee showed they didnt with a 20 point lost in the Sweet 16

why is the conference they are in always the only arguement against them? it would be a legit one if they won by an average of 4-5 points but when they blow out team after team i think it puts it ro rest because they do to those teams what power teams should.

I didn't say Tennessee was a better team than Memphis but going into the tournament Tennessee deserved that number 1 seed. Things may have gone different had they got the number 1 seed so you can't really use what happened in the tournament against them.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:08 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
baseball wrote:I brought up MIchigan State because they are talk about year in and year out having one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the nation. most experts argue they have the toughest every year....followed by Memphis.

hoe did tennessee deserve a 1? sure its better then C-USA, but the SEC is the worst BCS conference in the country. I think Memphis proved they deserved the 1 by their dominance from the Sweet16 to the Final Four and Tennessee showed they didnt with a 20 point lost in the Sweet 16

why is the conference they are in always the only arguement against them? it would be a legit one if they won by an average of 4-5 points but when they blow out team after team i think it puts it ro rest because they do to those teams what power teams should.

I didn't say Tennessee was a better team than Memphis but going into the tournament Tennessee deserved that number 1 seed. Things may have gone different had they got the number 1 seed so you can't really use what happened in the tournament against them.

Tennessee was 29-4 going into the tournament and didnt even win the conference. Memphis was 33-1.

Yea yea yea...Memphis plays in Conference USA. But you dont get a 1 seed when you dont win your conference. I could understand the arguement if they won...or even made the championship.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:41 am

Again you can't use what happened in the tournament against a team for what they did before the tournament. Tennessee played a much better schedule and BEAT memphis during the season. They were a 2 seed so it's not like they were that far off from getting a one seed. Tennessee won the SEC conference championship last year too so they did win their conference. They just didn't win their conference tournament, nice try on that one though. I'm sure if Tennessee was in the pathetic excuse for a conference that Conference USA is they'd win that conference tournament too. If Memphis had to actually play a basketball team in their conference tournament it wouldn't be such a given every year.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:28 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Again you can't use what happened in the tournament against a team for what they did before the tournament. Tennessee played a much better schedule and BEAT memphis during the season. They were a 2 seed so it's not like they were that far off from getting a one seed. Tennessee won the SEC conference championship last year too so they did win their conference. They just didn't win their conference tournament, nice try on that one though. I'm sure if Tennessee was in the pathetic excuse for a conference that Conference USA is they'd win that conference tournament too. If Memphis had to actually play a basketball team in their conference tournament it wouldn't be such a given every year.

Tennessee was 29-4 going into the tournament and didnt even win the conference. Memphis was 33-1.

Yea yea yea...Memphis plays in Conference USA. But you dont get a 1 seed when you dont win your conference. I could understand the arguement if they won...or even made the championship.

"or even made the championship"...i duno... i figured that was pretty clear i was talking about the conference tournament but o well. nice try though. where in that post was i anywhere close to using what tennessee did IN the tournament against them?? 29-4 going into the tournament...thats before it. didnt win the conference...thats before it. and to use the 2 seed as not being far, they actually were pretty far off since they were the #8 overall seed in the tournament. 1-8 went UNC, Memphis, UCLA, Kansas, Georgetown, Duke, Texas, then Tennessee....'nice try on that one though'.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:18 pm

the C-USA is terrible. they put one semi decent team and they've been dominating for 4 years. 55 wins in a row. and your gonna say that the CUSA isnt that bad? get real. it not cool.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:37 pm

It's not great but you guys make it out to be like the Summit league and the Southland. I said UAB isnt that bad. the conference as a whole is real bad, yes. Tulsa is on the rise, UTEP will pull an upset here and there, but Memphis and UAB are clear 1-2
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:30 pm

baseball wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Again you can't use what happened in the tournament against a team for what they did before the tournament. Tennessee played a much better schedule and BEAT memphis during the season. They were a 2 seed so it's not like they were that far off from getting a one seed. Tennessee won the SEC conference championship last year too so they did win their conference. They just didn't win their conference tournament, nice try on that one though. I'm sure if Tennessee was in the pathetic excuse for a conference that Conference USA is they'd win that conference tournament too. If Memphis had to actually play a basketball team in their conference tournament it wouldn't be such a given every year.

"or even made the championship"...i duno... i figured that was pretty clear i was talking about the conference tournament but o well. nice try though. where in that post was i anywhere close to using what tennessee did IN the tournament against them?? 29-4 going into the tournament...thats before it. didnt win the conference...thats before it. and to use the 2 seed as not being far, they actually were pretty far off since they were the #8 overall seed in the tournament. 1-8 went UNC, Memphis, UCLA, Kansas, Georgetown, Duke, Texas, then Tennessee....'nice try on that one though'.

When I read that I thought it meant made the championship like how Memphis made the champsionship last year. You have in other posts said stuff about what Memphis did compared to Tennessee in the big dance against them, which is why I brought that up again. I'm sure the reason Tennessee was the # 8 overall seed is because of their conference tournament loss. Duke and Georgetown being ahead of them was a joke, they were both out by the second round. Tennessee got the short end of the stick being put in the toughest region in the tournament. They should've been put in Duke's region if they were going to be a 2 seed.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:45 pm

baseball wrote:

When I read that I thought it meant made the championship like how Memphis made the champsionship last year. You have in other posts said stuff about what Memphis did compared to Tennessee in the big dance against them, which is why I brought that up again. I'm sure the reason Tennessee was the # 8 overall seed is because of their conference tournament loss. Duke and Georgetown being ahead of them was a joke, they were both out by the second round. Tennessee got the short end of the stick being put in the toughest region in the tournament. They should've been put in Duke's region if they were going to be a 2 seed.

You do realize that them 2 statements are what your on me about? How did Tennessee deserve the #1, i told you why they didnt. and how can you use what Duke and Gtown did in the tournament against them for the seed they got??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:10 pm

baseball wrote:It's not great but you guys make it out to be like the Summit league and the Southland. I said UAB isnt that bad. the conference as a whole is real bad, yes. Tulsa is on the rise, UTEP will pull an upset here and there, but Memphis and UAB are clear 1-2

The Summit league is more competitive...and UAB isn't clearly anything...except garbage
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:59 pm

The Schwab wrote:
baseball wrote:It's not great but you guys make it out to be like the Summit league and the Southland. I said UAB isnt that bad. the conference as a whole is real bad, yes. Tulsa is on the rise, UTEP will pull an upset here and there, but Memphis and UAB are clear 1-2

The Summit league is more competitive...and UAB isn't clearly anything...except garbage

so more competitive = better? the Patriot league is more competitive then C-USA, but there is no way at all its better. Same with the Summit, MAC, MEAC, Big sky, etc...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:48 am

baseball wrote:
baseball wrote:

You do realize that them 2 statements are what your on me about? How did Tennessee deserve the #1, i told you why they didnt. and how can you use what Duke and Gtown did in the tournament against them for the seed they got??

Duke and Gtown didn't deserve to be ahead of Tennessee pre-tournament. I should've been more clear I guess that's my bad. I was just saying to prove they didn't deserve to be in the "easier regions". Sure Gtown lost to Davidson who went to the elite eight but that never should've happened. I think if Tennessee was put in one of those 2 regions they would've been much better off.

I'm done talking about this with you, it's a UNC topic, and arguing with you goes nowhere.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:04 pm

Well, UCONN, Pitt, Kansas, Oklahoma have all lost out in their conference tournaments and UNC won their first round game. I think its pretty safe to say UNC locked up their number 1 seed?
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:48 pm

UNC locked it up with a win over duke, even if they lost today haha.

will be interesting to see how the rest play out. Memphis, even with the weak conference, probably jumped in there. then maybe Louisville and Michigan State?? im curious to see how they will seed Pitt and UConn
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:59 pm

The thing that caught my attention after the Kansas loss....after thinking about it, how fun would it be to see a 3-14 of Kansas-NDSU??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:57 pm

I don't know. Memphis will be a 1 seed. Unc will be a 1, Louisville i think is going to lose right now to Villanova. If Mich state wins out i think they'll be a 1 then Pitt, because they've beat uconn 2 times. hahaha. if kansas played ndsu i think the game would be over before it started. Aldrich would kill their interior defense. it might be a fun matchup between woodside and collins, but collins is too fast and strong.

oh yeah , and i know your a big 12 guy but i still hate Blake Griffin and think he's slightly overrated haha.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:01 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:I don't know. Memphis will be a 1 seed. Unc will be a 1, Louisville i think is going to lose right now to Villanova. If Mich state wins out i think they'll be a 1 then Pitt, because they've beat uconn 2 times. hahaha. if kansas played ndsu i think the game would be over before it started. Aldrich would kill their interior defense. it might be a fun matchup between woodside and collins, but collins is too fast and strong.

oh yeah , and i know your a big 12 guy but i still hate Blake Griffin and think he's slightly overrated haha.

i respect your opinion about Griffin, much like i know your an ACC guy and if u didnt know im not a Hansbrough fan and think he is also a little overrated haha.

I guess i was just thinking the fact of NDSU-Kansas would be amazing just because 5 years ago who wouldve seen that as an NCAA matchup? my team against a team i have to root for just because im from ND...the only game harder to pick a side was the Kansas-Colorado games haha.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:30 pm

hahaha yeah i know what you mean, my friends ask me, who i would cheer for UNC or NDSU. and its UNC for me. no doubt.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:49 pm

God, after watching the FSU game, people that say Hansbrough gets every call just plain do not watch UNC basketball games. He is grabbed, hit in the face and just plain out mauled every single time he touches the ball. Absolutely ridiculous, wow.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:38 pm

Hansbrough 14 free throws
FSU 15 as a team

it was a physical game on both ends, with a bunch of fouls that went uncalled, but Hansbrough still got more calls then any other guy in the game.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:41 pm

I don't see how it matters if he gets more calls. He gets clobbered every time he touches the ball. I just can't stand people that say he fakes and gets every call, cause that is false, and those people don't watch the games.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:52 pm

"people that say Hansbrough gets every call just plain do not watch UNC basketball games."

"I don't see how it matters if he gets more calls."

what?? he gets hit just as much as every other big in the ACC, but he shoots that many more free throws....how is that posible then?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:10 pm

I was saying that even though he gets mor free throws than FSU in that game, he still did not get half the calls he should.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things