UNC 08-09

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: UNC 08-09

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:57 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:i'm not going to disagree that they are both athletic, and have the same build. and maybe collins has a better jump shot, even though lawson's 3p % is better, but Lawson is a better pg. He manages the game better, makes his team better, and does NOT turn the ball over, 6.5 assistss per TO , that is unreal, especially in a fast break offense where you have more opportunities to turn the ball over.

Oh, I'm not going to disagree with that. I think they are both very, very good shooters. Lawson is a better playmaking point guard. I'm not disagreeing with the stuff you are saying. I just see a lot of similarities in both of their games.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:02 pm

haha alright truce :D
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:06 pm

Comparing Lawson's points to other PGs isn't quite fair because UNC probably has more possessions than most teams in the NCAA. I think Flynn is a better PG and all NBA scouts would agree.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:08 pm

Just because your a scorer doesnt mean your going to put of curry-like numbers. Collins is a scoring version of Lawson in the way that they are built the same, both can blow by anyone. the difference...Collins is asked to score, Lawson is asked to distribute. Saying Collins is a scoring version of Lawson doesnt mean Lawson is worse. I coudl say Lawson is a distributing version of Collins and its the same tihng.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:59 pm

i am just saying , how is he a scoring version of lawson, just because he's asked to score? It's one thing to be asked to score, but you still have to score, and he only avearges 1 more point per game, taking 4 more shots per game than lawson.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:35 am

I tihnk Collins' FG% will go up, thus increasing his PPG as the season goes on. hes being asked to do something new this year. the last 2 years he has been a follower and no higher then the 5th scoring option. hes forcing a lot of shots thinking he has to in order to get the number of shots Self wants him to get. hes being asked to do alot in terms of scoring as well as directing a team. Lawson has been in the same role for going on his 3rd year now and has experience around him. I do think Lawson will make a better pro just because the type of PG he is. not much demand for a 5'11" scoring PG haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:28 am

baseball wrote:Notre Dame beat Texas on a day when Abrams was 8-27....he shoots close to his average Texas wins by 10+.

Michigan beat UCLA and Duke. does that make then a top 10 team?

I personally would love to see Syracuse play UNC. flynn, who could make an arguement for best PG in the country, would take Lawson to school IMO. Onuaku is underrated and would hold his own against Hansbrough and out muscle him. Remember last year when Hansbrough got abused by a raw Freshman in the final four? he faces athletic big men who have "heart" to he's not so great. Harris would have the athletic advantage over Thompson. Ellington >>>> Devendorf. and Rautins and Green would just have a 3 point contest.

syracuse showed that they do not belong in discussion with UNC after losing a game to a very tough opponent tonight in Cleveland St. hahah
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:25 am

Are people still playing the, they got beat by this team so thus they are worse then this team, game? did you just see the score or did you happen to see they one with a 60 footer at the buzzer. im still stickin with my statement that i would like to see them play. I still believe UNC would win, just a game that would be an interesting matchup.

UNC proved just how good they are giving up 84 points to a very tough Oral Roberts team. (yet another opponent who shot over 40% from the field and outrebounding UNC)

just like when Uconn wasnt on the same level when they beat Buffalo by 3?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:43 am

i'm just saying, if you want to be considered an elite team, they shouldnt have even been close with a team like cleveland state, yet they lost, heck if he doesnt make the shot they still go to overtime. and there you go with the whole 40 percent thing.... last time i checked shooting 40 percent wasnt good. so who cares if they let a team shoot 40 percent.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:16 am

UNC has yet to be tested this year as they won their 12th straight game by 15 or more points... i can see a loss to wake here in the coming weeks, because of the fact they haven't had a close game, they might not come out firing.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:08 am

BballFan1307 wrote:i'm just saying, if you want to be considered an elite team, they shouldnt have even been close with a team like cleveland state, yet they lost, heck if he doesnt make the shot they still go to overtime. and there you go with the whole 40 percent thing.... last time i checked shooting 40 percent wasnt good. so who cares if they let a team shoot 40 percent.

I have to disagree with you on this one. It goes for any team in almost any sport. 80% of the time a team plays an average game, 10% of the time the team plays a great game, and 10% of the time the team plays a terrible game. The key is to win the 10% terrible games, that is when you have a good team, but that is also when you have 5 point games with "average" teams who are on their "10% great game." Do you know what I am saying?

I heard this or read this somewhere in the past, not the same wording, but the same idea. I like it though, it has stuck with me.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball18 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:22 pm

I think Wake will beat UNC, but not because UNC hasnt had much competition, because Wake is a very good team and they're playing at home. Wake is extremely athletic and versatile, and if I had to give UNC one loss during the season it would be this one (Yes, even over Duke). I feel the Deacons are vastly underrated even though they're ranked 6th. But a lot of ppl dont know about them yet. But UNC will lose this game on Jan, 11 and it will make them a better team. They will then winout the remainder of their games and will be tougher than ever come March. Just my humble opinion...
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:07 pm

I beleive this game will really depend on what North Carolina team comes out to play, they are by far teh more talented, stronger, quicker team, but if they come out like they did against Kansas in the touney they will lose by 5 or less, if they play like they want it, they will win by 20, i dont see them winning if its close and if they win i think it will be by a large amount.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:19 pm

i think its safe to say lawson is gone next year, but with ellingtons lack of out put so far this year, anyone think he will come back for his senior year next year?
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:00 pm

struggled with BC again this year. a positive is atleast they didnt let Rice go for 34 in the first half again
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:54 pm

i was worried this would happen. came out way too loose and not ready to play at all. heck, they make their free throws they win, but its good to get a loss here early on, a reality check for sure.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:24 pm

i didnt see the game...just the last 5 minutes. was watchin hte football game and saw they were losing soi turned it haha. by the looks of it ellington and Hansbrough had off nights and Rice and sanders couldnt miss..
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby TheYessMan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:51 pm

TheYessMan wrote:
Mighty-Mouse wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:i know it seems impossible, but this team is really showing they could be great, does anyone think these tarheels will finish the year undefeated?

I don't know about undeated but I can see them in the final four

They better hope that hansborough, green, and lawson are healthy or else it spells trouble for the tarheels

my prediction was right. the tarheels had an off night, and so they ended up blowing an easy win
TheYessMan
TheYessMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:52 pm

TheYessMan wrote:
TheYessMan wrote:
Mighty-Mouse wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:i know it seems impossible, but this team is really showing they could be great, does anyone think these tarheels will finish the year undefeated?

They better hope that hansborough, green, and lawson are healthy or else it spells trouble for the tarheels

my prediction was right. the tarheels had an off night, and so they ended up blowing an easy win

how much do u know aobut college ball? BC is 13-2 and have the best scorer in the conference. all they need is another guy (Sanders) to score and they can be in the top of that conference. just like last night.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby TheYessMan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:53 am

baseball wrote:
TheYessMan wrote:
TheYessMan wrote:
Mighty-Mouse wrote:

how much do u know aobut college ball? BC is 13-2 and have the best scorer in the conference. all they need is another guy (Sanders) to score and they can be in the top of that conference. just like last night.

i know that the tarheels were supposed to be number 1 ranked this year, and many people actually believed this team could go undefeated. besides BC made an upset plain and simple. the tarheels were supposed to win that game, but admit it they blew it.
TheYessMan
TheYessMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:05 am

TheYessMan wrote:
baseball wrote:
TheYessMan wrote:
TheYessMan wrote:
Mighty-Mouse wrote:

i know that the tarheels were supposed to be number 1 ranked this year, and many people actually believed this team could go undefeated. besides BC made an upset plain and simple. the tarheels were supposed to win that game, but admit it they blew it.

Not sticking up for UNC but, as top dog you have to have your "A" game every night and everyone is gunna for ya. Once in a while ya gonna have an off night and night hit your average.
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:55 am

I will admit UNC shouldve won that game before the game started. But over the coarse of the game they didnt blow it, BC dominated the last 30 minutes. UNC's last lead was 31-30 and never led once in the second half. BC took it to them all game.

"We just met the challenge," Rice said. "I felt like they hadn't been challenged all year. Every team that they've played against, they just walked right through them. You look at people playing defense against them, they stay back, people drive and they're standing straight up and not trying to contest shots. I can't watch a tape if everybody's playing like that.

"We wanted to challenge them to see if they could step up and play as hard as we were going to play."

UNC got outplayed. Like Mighty-Mouse said, as top dog you have to play your best game every night. they have to realize that teams like BC have absolutely nothing to loose coming into the Dean Dome and playing. They loose? o well they were supposed to. they win? they go back to Boston and walk around that campus like heroes for a couple days.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:37 am

Well, we know that BC played the absolute best game of their lives.... last night they lost to harvard by 12 who had never won a game vs. a ranked opponent.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:44 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:Well, we know that BC played the absolute best game of their lives.... last night they lost to harvard by 12 who had never won a game vs. a ranked opponent.

I may agree that they may have played the best game of their lives, but i wouldnt call that win a fluke. They just made the same mistake UNC did. they overlooked an opponent everyone thought they were blow out.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:51 pm

Also....is anyone ready to agree/admit that Syracuse would be a good game? cracked the top 10...wins over a good Florida team, Kansas in basically a road game in Kansas City, and @ Memphis. only loss was from a 60 foot prayer..
baseball
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things