BCS or Playoffs

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

BCS or Playoffs

Postby NE B-Baller 242 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:58 am

My opinion is to use the BCS rankings to create an 8 team playoff to help give underdogs such as Utah and Bosie State a chance at the title. I realize there is scheduling conflicts with this plan, but can't each team elimanate some of thier cupcakes against 1-AA schools.
If winning isn't everything why do we keep score?
NE B-Baller 242
NDPreps Starter

Re: BCS or Playoffs

Postby 3nout » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:08 am

There are 12 conferences in D1A college football. Take the top two from each conference, and have a playoff system. They could still have bowl games. Each week there could be a different sponsor for each game. It's the only way that we will get a true national champion.
3nout
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:23 pm

College football has a strong following. It's surprising they don't end the season by crowning a champion like every other sport.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:24 pm

3nout wrote:There are 12 conferences in D1A college football. Take the top two from each conference, and have a playoff system. They could still have bowl games. Each week there could be a different sponsor for each game. It's the only way that we will get a true national champion.

24 team playoff?? seems like a lot to me? I would say keep the BCS rankings and take the top 8 like in the first post here. 3 week playoff and they would still get done before the BCS title game. They can still have bowl games and everything for the other teams but have a top 8 playoffs wold be the best.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby thejoker » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:38 am

NE B-Baller 242 wrote:My opinion is to use the BCS rankings to create an 8 team playoff to help give underdogs such as Utah and Bosie State a chance at the title. I realize there is scheduling conflicts with this plan, but can't each team elimanate some of thier cupcakes against 1-AA schools.

I think that is a great idea.

It would also benefit teams like Texas this year, who got hosed in the BCS standings.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:53 pm

a big playoff would ruin college football. 4 team is the best way to go and it wouldn't ruin the regular season or the bowl games. 8 and 16 team playoff would just make matters worse
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:45 pm

i think that an 8 or 16 team playoff would NOT ruin college football...can you imagine the ratings for a college football playoff....
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:37 pm

Ming01 wrote:a big playoff would ruin college football. 4 team is the best way to go and it wouldn't ruin the regular season or the bowl games. 8 and 16 team playoff would just make matters worse

Every division, except FBS, of college football has at least 16 teams in the playoffs.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:13 pm

Flip wrote:
Ming01 wrote:a big playoff would ruin college football. 4 team is the best way to go and it wouldn't ruin the regular season or the bowl games. 8 and 16 team playoff would just make matters worse

Every division, except FBS, of college football has at least 16 teams in the playoffs.

and every division other than FBS, doesn't have Bowl games
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:59 am

I honestly wouldnt mind seeing them do away with bowl games and have a tournamnet. That way the best team wins and just like every other sport has a clear cut national champion. how many people other then the athletic departments and 2 teams playing in it care about the motor city bowl?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan_05 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:51 am

baseball wrote:I honestly wouldnt mind seeing them do away with bowl games and have a tournamnet. That way the best team wins and just like every other sport has a clear cut national champion. how many people other then the athletic departments and 2 teams playing in it care about the motor city bowl?

Have to agree, going 7-5 and going to a bowl game is kinda pointless, just adapt something like they use for basketball, but using like 8 or 16 teams.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:43 pm

bballfan_05 wrote:
baseball wrote:I honestly wouldnt mind seeing them do away with bowl games and have a tournamnet. That way the best team wins and just like every other sport has a clear cut national champion. how many people other then the athletic departments and 2 teams playing in it care about the motor city bowl?

Have to agree, going 7-5 and going to a bowl game is kinda pointless, just adapt something like they use for basketball, but using like 8 or 16 teams.

I would agree with the 16 team bracket tourney. The BCS is a joke and it's more of who they want to be number one then who really deserves to be there. Case and point, when Ohio State lost to USC, they did get blown out, but they we're the number 2 team and after the lost, they dropped to number 13??? Just a couple of weeks ago #2 Texas Tech loses and dropped to I believe to # 5 or 6. What gives, both team got blown out. Ohio got blown out by the, at that time, the #1 team, where Texas Tech got blown out by the #4 team Oklahoma. :?

SO give us a bracket tourney and we can still have the bowl games, so the promoter can make their money, and everyone will be happy.
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball18 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:36 pm

bballfan_05 wrote:

pointless? If you win you get a lot of $$$
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball18 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:37 pm

Mighty-Mouse wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:

I would agree with the 16 team bracket tourney. The BCS is a joke and it's more of who they want to be number one then who really deserves to be there. Case and point, when Ohio State lost to USC, they did get blown out, but they we're the number 2 team and after the lost, they dropped to number 13??? Just a couple of weeks ago #2 Texas Tech loses and dropped to I believe to # 5 or 6. What gives, both team got blown out. Ohio got blown out by the, at that time, the #1 team, where Texas Tech got blown out by the #4 team Oklahoma. :?

SO give us a bracket tourney and we can still have the bowl games, so the promoter can make their money, and everyone will be happy.

16 team playoff would be stupid, read this article by Ming01 on the BCS/Playoffs, spot on...
http://thesportsflow.blogspot.com/2008/11/playoffs.html
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:34 am

I say screw it, go to a 16 team tourny, no one cares about the International bowl in canada between buffalo and uconn (does canada even have anyone in college football...or a bowl game?) Heres what I think you do Take the top 16 teams in the nation 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 and so on no more BS bowl games, someone said its about money...college football isnt about money if it was you would be able to pay players not just scholorships. no one really cares about the teams that are rated 10 and above and it seems only the 1-5 teams have a chance to win it all so just take the top 16 and who cares about the rest they arnt going to win it. in both college and pro hockey, baseball, volleyball, tennis, soccer and all other sports there is a tournament why should football be any different? The Bowls/BCS system is the only reason I absolutly hate college football! there are sooooo many teams and isnt football like every other sport about being/finding the best team in the nation? Not letting computers/sports writers pick who they want to play for it? Let the players decide it in a playoff!!!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:41 pm

I'd say you need to just have the top 8 schools in the country for a playoffs. You would have to keep some of the minor bowls. Schools that have very little chance of ever getting into the tournament would need an opportunity for a bowl game of some sort to recruit for. Even though the international bowl is in Toronto, I bet the players get treated pretty nice. It's not really about money, it's about having something to play for, have a good season and get into the best bowl that they can get. If you expanded the playoff to 16 teams, then you are looking at 4 extra games. Do you then cut back the number of regular season games so that you don't have college students now playing 16 game seasons? I don't think that would sit well with teams that don't make the playoffs, that would mean less ticket revenue and less of an athletic budget.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:40 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:I'd say you need to just have the top 8 schools in the country for a playoffs. You would have to keep some of the minor bowls. Schools that have very little chance of ever getting into the tournament would need an opportunity for a bowl game of some sort to recruit for. Even though the international bowl is in Toronto, I bet the players get treated pretty nice. It's not really about money, it's about having something to play for, have a good season and get into the best bowl that they can get. If you expanded the playoff to 16 teams, then you are looking at 4 extra games. Do you then cut back the number of regular season games so that you don't have college students now playing 16 game seasons? I don't think that would sit well with teams that don't make the playoffs, that would mean less ticket revenue and less of an athletic budget.

Thats the point...No one cares about them already. I personally would rather have the 17-30 teams complaining about not being in the playoffs insted of having to listen to the 3 best teams in the country whine about not being in the nat. champ. game, at least this was all the deserving teams control their own destiny.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things