NFL joke or not?

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

NFL joke or not?

Postby cubsfan » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:45 pm

Am I the only one who thinks the NFL gives out way to many fines defensive lineman for hitting the quarterback? Who cares if the quarterback gets hit below the knees. When defensive lineman start grabbing the qbs feet and ankles it makes the quarterback get happy feet and makes him release the ball early. Justin Tuck was also fined for hitting Brooks Bollinger hard. This is making me think the NFL is a joke.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: NFL joke or not?

Postby chevyman11 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:03 pm

Isn't the one of the points of defense to hit hard? Let the players play. Ya there is concern about personal safety, but you have to let the players do their jobs and quit dishing out some ridiculous fines.
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby mjwanab » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:16 pm

I agree, i can see the late hits, the leading with the helmets or helmet to helmet hits to prevent injury to every player on the field, whether it QB or RB or whomever. Now it is getting where it will be two hand touch on the QB and refs will blow whistle cause he is down. DLineman are being held, pushed and shoved in all kinds of angles, so of course they are never going to hit the QB squarely or perfectly to where an injury is avoided. Let them play, they all know the injury risks.
mjwanab
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:24 pm

One of two things needs to happen:

1. QBs need to get bigger and stronger and wear knee and ankle braces

2. Let the QBs wear flag belts and let them get tackled by pulling their flag. (I'm only half kidding)
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:41 pm

Just to play devil's advocate. The NFL's ticket sales and merchandise sales are based on star popularity for that particular franchise or team. I know Brooks B - is not the franchise of the Cowboys - but QB's for the most part are the most recognizable player on each team. If they get hurt - ratings might go down - sales might go down - merchandise sales might go down, etc.. I'm saying MIGHT - I know the NFL is stronger than one player on any given team, but let's take a look at recent history.
Jets - Brett Favre gets traded there - all of a sudden - they are sold out every game - and Favre Jets jersey's are the highest seller in the US.
Falcons - Pick Michael Vick - granted didn't work out for him - but they sold out every game for the coming year of he being drafted.
Patriots - Tom Brady goes down - all of a sudden the Patriots aren't on tv any week anymore at all.
And the list goes on and on - No One is buying tickets, jerseys merchandise to support their offensive or defensive linemen of their favorite team - Unless its someone beyond belief (Reggie White) QB's are the NFL's revenue source - they have to protect their biggest investments.
Just my theory
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things