Coach Meyer's accident

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Coach Meyer's accident

Postby BB11 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:29 am

In case you didn't know.
Coach Don Meyer from Northern State University (Aberdeen) was in a car accident a couple of weeks ago, as he crossed the center line, and was hit by a semi. They had to amputate his left leg (I believe) and in the process of surgery, discovered that he had a growing cancer in his liver.
For those that do not know Coach Meyer, he is the 2nd winningest coach in NCAA history behind Bobby Knight, but more than that - he is one of the greatest human beings in basketball that I've ever met. His program is the staple for what all programs should be, in how they do things, and how much of a class act he and his teams are.
We are all hoping for a speedy recovery for Coach Meyer, and our prayers go out to he and his family.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Re: Coach Meyer's accident

Postby baseball » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:31 am

Just a clarification...as to the source i saw...they saw the cancer while doing tests after the accident and amputated is leg below the knee and part of the cancer treatment. the leg amputation was part of the cancer treatment not the accident recovery.

either way, terrible situation for a great coach/guy. doesnt sound he is going to miss any time tho as a coach. will likely be back to coach and possibly even by the first practice according to a his son. now if thats not motivation for a team...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby GBBC » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:55 pm

I agree that Coach Meyer is phenomenal! I had the opportunity to meet him when I was playing college basketball, and he and his message stuck with me. What an amazing man!

Here's wishing him a speedy recovery!
GBBC

Postby BB11 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:04 pm

Here is the address on ESPN.com on a new story about Coach Meyer - written by Buster Olney.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/e60/news ... d=tab5pos1

This article does a very good job of showing the type of character and will that Coach Meyer has, and also tries to integrate into his program. He is a great, caring human being, and that is something you can see when he interacts with his players. It's not about posturing, or acting like he loves a kid because the kids a star. It' s true and genuine. I sincerely hope that he does make a speedy recovery, and he is truly an inspiration to everyone he meets.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things