Kobe Bryant: how does he rank among the best ever in the NBA

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Kobe Bryant: how does he rank among the best ever in the NBA

Postby razzle dazzle » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:13 pm

TheYessMan wrote:kobe is the best player out there in the sport of basketball right now, but in a few years the uprising talent will take over. Big names like Lebron, Rajon Rondo <yes rondo he is improving every game he plays>, chris paul, chris bosh, dwayne wayde, and big boy beasley are just a few that will keep getting better. The rookies this year are outstanding, and they will have a chance to compete for the future of the sport.

Karl Malone, The Mailman, always delivers and recieves proper credit for his service. They often call him the milk man 'cause he always gots the goods. Woot Woot
razzle dazzle

Postby John Cena » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:06 pm

razzle dazzle wrote:
TheYessMan wrote:kobe is the best player out there in the sport of basketball right now, but in a few years the uprising talent will take over. Big names like Lebron, Rajon Rondo <yes rondo he is improving every game he plays>, chris paul, chris bosh, dwayne wayde, and big boy beasley are just a few that will keep getting better. The rookies this year are outstanding, and they will have a chance to compete for the future of the sport.

Karl Malone, The Mailman, always delivers and recieves proper credit for his service. They often call him the milk man 'cause he always gots the goods. Woot Woot

If you want to talk about junkie players start a new topic please. Some actually want to discuss reality, not fantasy.
Last edited by John Cena on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IF YOU SMELL WHAT THE KING IS COOKIN'
John Cena
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:33 pm

Rajon Rando will not be in the topic of elite players in the NBA. tony parker, daron williams, chris paul, derrick rose will be the elite name PG. Rando will be good as long as he has the big 3, but they are getting old. I dont see the take over a game instinct in Rando

and beasley isnt even the best rookie on his team haha. he will be a great player in the league but what hurts him is his size. he's not quick enough to be a 3 but not big enough to be a 4.
Last edited by baseball on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby TheYessMan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:43 pm

baseball wrote:Rajon Rando will not be in the topic of elite players in the NBA. tony parker, daron williams, chris paul, derrick rose will be the elite name PG. Rando will be good as long as he has the big 3, but they are getting old. I dont see the take over a game instinct in Rando

we'll see his game is improving immensely and he will be a force for the celtics in the future.
TheYessMan
TheYessMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby John Cena » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:00 am

TheYessMan wrote:
baseball wrote:Rajon Rando will not be in the topic of elite players in the NBA. tony parker, daron williams, chris paul, derrick rose will be the elite name PG. Rando will be good as long as he has the big 3, but they are getting old. I dont see the take over a game instinct in Rando

we'll see his game is improving immensely and he will be a force for the celtics in the future.

You obiviously have been misleaded about Rando. He may be a force for the celtics but that doesn't put him in the same league of Kobe.
IF YOU SMELL WHAT THE KING IS COOKIN'
John Cena
NDPreps Starter

Postby TheYessMan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:12 pm

John Cena wrote:
TheYessMan wrote:

You obiviously have been misleaded about Rando. He may be a force for the celtics but that doesn't put him in the same league of Kobe.

i wasnt comparing rondo to kobe :roll:
TheYessMan
TheYessMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndbsktbllfan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:13 pm

TheYessMan wrote:
John Cena wrote:
TheYessMan wrote:

i wasnt comparing rondo to kobe :roll:

Let me ask you a question, why are rondo and kobe even in the same sentence? It is idiotic to compare these two. Kobe is the best all around player in this generation however, MJ was the best in his generation. Take into account how much the game has changed since the days of Dr. J and the rest of the legends.
ndbsktbllfan

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:34 am

cornerback*22* wrote:
balla45 wrote:
balla45 wrote:Jordan
Chamberlain
Alcindor
Robertson
O'Neal
Bird
Johnson
Pippen
West
Russell
Duncan
Maravich

Who is Kobe better than?

bird, pippen for sure

You are not even close to serious by saying he's better than Bird for sure are you? Just because Bird isn't the athlete that Kobe, MJ, LeBron etc are doesn't mean you say he's not as good. Bird is top 5 in my opinion. He won 3 MVPs and played in the most competitive era of the NBA. He was the ultimate team player, one of the great clutch shooters of all time, and played the game the way it should be played. Kobe is great but to say he's better than Bird for sure is a slap in the face of one of the true greats of the game. I don't want to see a big stat parade with Kobe's stats versus Birds right now either. Stats don't tell the whole story. There is no stat for hustle, playing as hard as you can every single night and not saving yourself to break records. Bird didn't care about that. He won championships and MVPs when he was usually one of the slowest players on the court. He knew how to break down a defender by playing the game smart. He couldn't rely on athleticism like Kobe does a lot of the time. I'm not here saying Kobe's not good cause he's great. But as far as basketball playing goes, Bird is easily in the top five.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:10 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
cornerback*22* wrote:
balla45 wrote:
balla45 wrote:Jordan
Chamberlain
Alcindor
Robertson
O'Neal
Bird
Johnson
Pippen
West
Russell
Duncan
Maravich

Who is Kobe better than?

bird, pippen for sure

You are not even close to serious by saying he's better than Bird for sure are you? Just because Bird isn't the athlete that Kobe, MJ, LeBron etc are doesn't mean you say he's not as good. Bird is top 5 in my opinion. He won 3 MVPs and played in the most competitive era of the NBA. He was the ultimate team player, one of the great clutch shooters of all time, and played the game the way it should be played. Kobe is great but to say he's better than Bird for sure is a slap in the face of one of the true greats of the game. I don't want to see a big stat parade with Kobe's stats versus Birds right now either. Stats don't tell the whole story. There is no stat for hustle, playing as hard as you can every single night and not saving yourself to break records. Bird didn't care about that. He won championships and MVPs when he was usually one of the slowest players on the court. He knew how to break down a defender by playing the game smart. He couldn't rely on athleticism like Kobe does a lot of the time. I'm not here saying Kobe's not good cause he's great. But as far as basketball playing goes, Bird is easily in the top five.

I couldn't agree more....people with Bird's atheticism usually get cut in high school, instead he polished his fundamentals, his shooting ability, and his knowledge of the game to be one of the best 5 ever...simply unbelievable!
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:06 pm

2nd best in the league right now :) haha i couldnt resist. but he's definately top 10.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:12 pm

My Top Ten

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Bill Russell
5. Larry Bird
6. Oscar Robertson
7. Tim Duncan
8. Jerry West
9. Julius Erving
10. Kobe Bryant

Kobe has plenty of time to move up on this list cause he's got good five years left.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby thejoker » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:18 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:My Top Ten

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Bill Russell
5. Larry Bird
6. Oscar Robertson
7. Tim Duncan
8. Jerry West
9. Julius Erving
10. Kobe Bryant

Kobe has plenty of time to move up on this list cause he's got good five years left.

I don't know about Duncan so high. And I think Oscar should be ahead of Bird. Averaging a triple-double for a year is ridiculous.

Other than that, its pretty nice, especially having Kobe in there, right balla45.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:18 pm

thejoker wrote:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Bill Russell
5. Larry Bird
6. Oscar Robertson
7. Tim Duncan
8. Jerry West
9. Julius Erving
10. Kobe Bryant

I don't know about Duncan so high. And I think Oscar should be ahead of Bird. Averaging a triple-double for a year is ridiculous.

Other than that, its pretty nice, especially having Kobe in there, right balla45.

Tim Duncan is the best power forward of all time..as much as I hate him...he's in the top 10 in nba history
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby duke_boy90 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:46 pm

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Bill Russell
5. Larry Bird
6. Oscar Robertson
7. Tim Duncan
8. Jerry West
9. Julius Erving
10. Kobe Bryant

No Wilt??
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby Dr. J » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:48 am

Dr. J definately has to move up in the list.
Dr. J
NDPreps Reserve

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

duke_boy90 wrote:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Bill Russell
5. Larry Bird
6. Oscar Robertson
7. Tim Duncan
8. Jerry West
9. Julius Erving
10. Kobe Bryant

No Wilt??

I anticipated that would come up and my reasoning may be unfair to wilt but I think his numbers inflated because of the level of competition he played against. He never had to face someone with the size to stop him or strength to stop him on a regular basis. Bill Russel was the only player that really had a chance against Wilt. Plus I think what the others on this list have done/are doing is more impressive than Wilt. Just my two cents.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:55 am

Dr. J wrote:Dr. J definately has to move up in the list.

Well then make your list and put him where you see fit. I don't see anyone on that list he could pass other then maybe Jerry West.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:19 pm

Top 10

1. MJ
2. Kareem
3. Oscar
4. Bird
5. Russel
6. Duncan
7. Tragic
8. Karl Malone
9. Shaqtus
10. Sir Charles
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Dr. J » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:22 pm

The Schwab wrote:Top 10

1. MJ
2. Kareem
3. Oscar
4. Bird
5. Russel
6. Duncan
7. Tragic
8. Karl Malone
9. Shaqtus
10. Sir Charles

No way charles and malone should be in the top 10.
Dr. J
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:24 pm

Dr. J wrote:

1. MJ
2. Kareem
3. Oscar
4. Bird
5. Russel
6. Duncan
7. Tragic
8. Karl Malone
9. Shaqtus
10. Sir Charles

If it wasn't for MJ and the bulls Malone would have 3 rings...and would probably be number 2 on the list
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Dr. J » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:27 pm

Well thats to bad for malone, but since he didn't there is no way he is in the top 10.
Dr. J
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:29 pm

Dr. J wrote:Well thats to bad for malone, but since he didn't there is no way he is in the top 10.

second all time in scoring, probably the best power forward of all time, maybe i should have put him ahead of duncan
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Dr. J » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:31 pm

Duncan is the best PF ever and malone should be off the list, also what is barkley doing on the list. Where is wilt and kobe.
Dr. J
NDPreps Reserve

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:33 pm

Dr. J wrote:

1. MJ
2. Kareem
3. Oscar
4. Bird
5. Russel
6. Duncan
7. Tragic
8. Karl Malone
9. Shaqtus
10. Sir Charles

I could see how Malone is on this list. Hasn't anyone noticed that the two leading scorers in NBA history got the bulk of their points by doing simple things like the pick n roll and the sky hook? Just because Malone wasn't exciting doesn't mean he's not one of the greatest ever. He may not be in my list but I had plenty of other players right on the fence before I decided on my top ten.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Dr. J » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:39 pm

Malone was a great player but doesn't have the rings to be in the top ten.
Dr. J
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things