Kobe Bryant: how does he rank among the best ever in the NBA

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Kobe Bryant: how does he rank among the best ever in the NBA

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:41 pm

thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:I don't know if this belongs here or the USA basketball thread. But

Do you think the Dream team would kill the Redeem Team, as many people suggest?

Yes. As for why.

http://nbadraft.net/node/1832

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/1831

Also, the level of competition in international basketball has grown unfathomably over the past decade or so.

I read both. I personally think the Dream Team would have walked through it even more. They were more cohesive and more fundamentally sound defensively.

The article gave chemistry to the Redeem Team.

Also, don't forget about Kobe as a defender and Chris Paul.

Have not forgotten. I just don't think Kobe could stop Jordan. If Paul is to guard Magic, he won't be able to stop him in the post anyway. The other way around, Jordan could hold Kobe, and the Dream Team's help defense is vastly superior to the Redeem Team's. Add to that the fact that the Redeem team only had 3 players shoot well from 3 in Wade, Redd, and Bryant, and I have to give the edge to the Dream Team.

Who would guard Wade then. And Lebron

Magic couldn't contain hardly anyone of those and Bird couldn't keep up

Drexler. Pippen.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby thejoker » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:45 pm

balla45 wrote:[

Drexler. Pippen.

Don't get me wrong, they are good if not great defenders, but it is quite the rare occasion to see Lebron contained. And with other stars on the floor, Wade will have the weaker defender so he can get off.
Who could Bird D-up?
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:49 pm

thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:[

Drexler. Pippen.

Don't get me wrong, they are good if not great defenders, but it is quite the rare occasion to see Lebron contained. And with other stars on the floor, Wade will have the weaker defender so he can get off.
Who could Bird D-up?

I think Jordan could hold LeBron if needed. Pippen could guard either, as could Drexler. Bird could hold most of them. Everyone but Lebron and Kobe. Bird is not a great defender, but he had solid fundamental defense, and he could be able to gap almost all of the players. Redd wouldn't be a huge threat.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:23 pm

Hey Joker,

It is universally understood that when you talk the best players ever that you take the era they played in into consideration. Balla45 is right to compare players against their era.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby HeisAlive » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:08 pm

Hinsa wrote:Hey Joker,

It is universally understood that when you talk the best players ever that you take the era they played in into consideration. Balla45 is right to compare players against their era.

AMEN Thanks for saying this Hinsa, it needed to be said
Phil 4:13,19
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thejoker » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:40 pm

HeisAlive wrote:
Hinsa wrote:Hey Joker,

AMEN Thanks for saying this Hinsa, it needed to be said

OK, I lose that one.

But Kobe should still be in the top 10 of all-time.
He has done quite good in this era.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:44 pm

balla45 wrote:Jordan
Chamberlain
Alcindor
Robertson
O'Neal
Bird
Johnson
Pippen
West
Russell
Duncan
Maravich

Who is Kobe better than?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby cornerback*22* » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:20 pm

balla45 wrote:
Chamberlain
Alcindor
Robertson
O'Neal
Bird
Johnson
Pippen
West
Russell
Duncan
Maravich

Who is Kobe better than?

bird, pippen for sure
cornerback*22*

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:24 pm

cornerback*22* wrote:
balla45 wrote:
Chamberlain
Alcindor
Robertson
O'Neal
Bird
Johnson
Pippen
West
Russell
Duncan
Maravich

Who is Kobe better than?

bird, pippen for sure

Bird averages almost as many ppg over his career. Doubles the rebounds and more assists. Pippen has 6 titles I believe? Correct me if I am wrong.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby cornerback*22* » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:29 pm

balla45 wrote:
cornerback*22* wrote:
balla45 wrote:
Chamberlain
Alcindor
Robertson
O'Neal
Bird
Johnson
Pippen
West
Russell
Duncan
Maravich

Who is Kobe better than?

bird, pippen for sure

Bird averages almost as many ppg over his career. Doubles the rebounds and more assists. Pippen has 6 titles I believe? Correct me if I am wrong.

titles can't just get you in the top ten, or else robert horry should be in there
cornerback*22*

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:31 pm

cornerback*22* wrote:
balla45 wrote:
cornerback*22* wrote:
balla45 wrote:
Chamberlain
Alcindor
Robertson
O'Neal
Bird
Johnson
Pippen
West
Russell
Duncan
Maravich

Who is Kobe better than?

bird, pippen for sure

titles can't just get you in the top ten, or else robert horry should be in there

Pippen dominated on title teams. Also, at his peak, Pippen was averaging 20, 7, and 6. If this is not impressive enough, he was doing this while playing with a player who dominated the ball like no other. Oh, and he was also the most versatile defender in his era.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby cornerback*22* » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:33 pm

balla45 wrote:
cornerback*22* wrote:
balla45 wrote:
cornerback*22* wrote:
balla45 wrote:
Chamberlain
Alcindor
Robertson
O'Neal
Bird
Johnson
Pippen
West
Russell
Duncan
Maravich

Who is Kobe better than?

bird, pippen for sure

Pippen dominated on title teams. Also, at his peak, Pippen was averaging 20, 7, and 6. If this is not impressive enough, he was doing this while playing with a player who dominated the ball like no other. Oh, and he was also the most versatile defender in his era.

no its not impressive enough, sure he has six titles, and he had that little stat line you just said (unimpressive) but there is nooooo way he is better than kobe, kobe has had to do it by himself this year and he ended up in the finals, and scored MVP, how many MVP's did pippen ring up
cornerback*22*

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:38 pm

cornerback*22* wrote:
balla45 wrote:
cornerback*22* wrote:
balla45 wrote:
cornerback*22* wrote:
balla45 wrote:
Chamberlain
Alcindor
Robertson
O'Neal
Bird
Johnson
Pippen
West
Russell
Duncan
Maravich

Who is Kobe better than?

bird, pippen for sure

no its not impressive enough, sure he has six titles, and he had that little stat line you just said (unimpressive) but there is nooooo way he is better than kobe, kobe has had to do it by himself this year and he ended up in the finals, and scored MVP, how many MVP's did pippen ring up

0. Then again, he was playing with the best player in the history of basketball. He couldn't have got any. He wasn't better than Jordan. Not saying MVP's mean alot. Nash won MVP more than Kobe, and Nash isn't even close.

Random season. How is this not an impressive stat line? 22-8.7-6.3-.8-2.9

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby cornerback*22* » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:41 pm

kobe has done waay more, i mean i guess its a GOOD statline, but we are talking GREAT players. kobe is the best player in probably the best era
cornerback*22*

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:43 pm

cornerback*22* wrote:kobe has done waay more, i mean i guess its a GOOD statline, but we are talking GREAT players. kobe is the best player in probably the best era

Very hard to call this the best era. Magic-Bird-Jordan-Stockton-Malone-Barkley...etc was a very good era. What more has Kobe done?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby cornerback*22* » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:57 pm

balla45 wrote:
cornerback*22* wrote:kobe has done waay more, i mean i guess its a GOOD statline, but we are talking GREAT players. kobe is the best player in probably the best era

Very hard to call this the best era. Magic-Bird-Jordan-Stockton-Malone-Barkley...etc was a very good era. What more has Kobe done?

okay your right on the era part, but kobe has 3 rings, and yes i am aware he had a great with him, has two scoring titles, an MVP, is a really good defender-all defensive team twice- 81 points in one game, two years ago averaged 36.4 points the whole season,10 all star appearances, an all star mvp(not that it means much but w/e) and is currently sixth on the lakers all time scoring list, and he is at his prime
cornerback*22*

Postby thejoker » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:01 pm

cornerback*22* wrote:
balla45 wrote:

okay your right on the era part, but kobe has 3 rings, and yes i am aware he had a great with him, has two scoring titles, an MVP, is a really good defender-all defensive team twice- 81 points in one game, two years ago averaged 36.4 points the whole season,10 all star appearances, an all star mvp(not that it means much but w/e) and is currently sixth on the lakers all time scoring list, and he is at his prime

And if that is Shaquille O'Neal on your list, then Kobe also has done great things with someone who is allegedly better than he is.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:06 pm

cornerback*22* wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Kobe has 3 rings, Pippen has six.
Kobe has 2 scoring titles, Pippen had MJ, and didn't need to get them. (He probably couldn't have anyway.)
Pippen has been on the all defensive team 10 times.
7 all star appearances.
8th in all time playoff scoring.
Not sure where he is on the Bulls's list, but he would probably be top 5.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:06 pm

thejoker wrote:
cornerback*22* wrote:
balla45 wrote:

And if that is Shaquille O'Neal on your list, then Kobe also has done great things with someone who is allegedly better than he is.

It is. I don't see what is wrong with that? I'm confused.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby thejoker » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:09 pm

balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:
cornerback*22* wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Nothing wrong. Just as a reason for Pippen to be on the list, you mentioned putting up good numbers with a top player alongside him. Kobe did that also.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:11 pm

thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:
cornerback*22* wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Nothing wrong. Just as a reason for Pippen to be on the list, you mentioned putting up good numbers with a top player alongside him. Kobe did that also.

Yes. Pretty much every player on my list had alot of help. Playing with great players makes people better. Personally do I think Bryant is better than Pippen, probably. I'm just being the devil's advocate. It is pretty easy to argue for Pippen. As a scorer, Kobe is better. The rest of the game, I do want to go with Pippen.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby thejoker » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:12 pm

balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:
Nothing wrong. Just as a reason for Pippen to be on the list, you mentioned putting up good numbers with a top player alongside him. Kobe did that also
thejoker wrote:
Yes. Pretty much every player on my list had alot of help. Playing with great players makes people better. Personally do I think Bryant is better than Pippen, probably. I'm just being the devil's advocate. It is pretty easy to argue for Pippen. As a scorer, Kobe is better. The rest of the game, I do want to go with Pippen.

Ha, so you think Kobe is a top ten player, after all the arguing?
Last edited by thejoker on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:14 pm

thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
Nothing wrong. Just as a reason for Pippen to be on the list, you mentioned putting up good numbers with a top player alongside him. Kobe did that also

Ha, so you think Kobe is a top ten player, after all the arguing?

No. Pippen is pretty much on the bottom of the list of the players I named. I could probably throw in some others.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:14 pm

I could throw in Stockton for sure. Isaiah Thomas is up there too. Elgin Baylor.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby TheYessMan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:39 pm

kobe is the best player out there in the sport of basketball right now, but in a few years the uprising talent will take over. Big names like Lebron, Rajon Rondo <yes rondo he is improving every game he plays>, chris paul, chris bosh, dwayne wayde, and big boy beasley are just a few that will keep getting better. The rookies this year are outstanding, and they will have a chance to compete for the future of the sport.
TheYessMan
TheYessMan
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things