08-09 Vikings

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

08-09 Vikings

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:44 am

what did you guys think about the game? Here are a few of my thoughts. First, to the Tarvaris Jackson haters out there. I swear every time i have went on ESPN. com tonight every article about the Vikings and Packers game has to do with how terrible T-Jack was. Overall i was impressed with Tarvaris. He's not the one who gave up a punt return TD, or the 56 yard pass that should have been knocked down. I thought he played a good game for not getting that many reps in the Preseason. The defense disappointed me. It didn't seem like Jared Allen did much at all. The coverage was weak as usual. And what ticked me off the most was in the first half when the Pack had the ball in the red zone. Inside the 3 yard line the Vikings gave them 7 chances to score and finally they did it. You cannot have 3-4 penalties in a row that close to the endzone and expect to get a stop. Well, i am done rambling on, but my view i guess, is the Defense is going to have to buckle down the coverage and the stupid mistakes if they want a winning season. Tarvaris played a good game and i think he is going to do just fine this year.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: 08-09 Vikings

Postby Deuce » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:47 am

No but he was the one with the game on the line and threw a utterly horrible pass right to the defender. :roll: NFL quarterbacks should be able to make throws in the clutch.

My opinion is if you want someone who can run, get a running back if you want someone who can throw get a quarterback. When you try to mix the two you end up with neither. :lol:

PS. This is coming from a long time Steelers fan that watched Kordell Stewart look brilliant at times but also couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat at times. Especially in the playoffs. :evil:
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:49 am

Deuce wrote:No but he was the one with the game on the line and threw a utterly horrible pass right to the defender. :roll: NFL quarterbacks should be able to make throws in the clutch.

My opinion is if you want someone who can run, get a running back if you want someone who can throw get a quarterback. When you try to mix the two you end up with neither. :lol:

PS. This is coming from a long time Steelers fan that watched Kordell Stewart look brilliant at times but also couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat at times. Especially in the playoffs. :evil:

He overthrew his reciever...it happens...the problem does not sit with tavaris...it sits with the headset and the play sheet
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:04 pm

The coach can't throw it for him. The reciever was open on the play, maybe not as open as the defender was :lol:
Maybe they should have called a play where there's no defenders within 10yds of the reciever.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:47 pm

Overall it was a good stepping stone for the Green Bay Packers, Inc. The Vikings spent millions in an attempt to catch the Packers this year. Berrian did little and Allen did less. I think this bodes well for the Packers!! :)
Last edited by scruffy on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:49 pm

scruffy wrote:Overall it was a good stepping stone for the Green Bay Packers, Inc. The Vikings spent millions in an attempt to catch the Packers this year. Merriman did little and Allen did less. I think this bodes well for the Packers!! :)

who?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:13 pm

Excuse me..I meant Berrian..........
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:06 pm

if this was what the second game between them this season looked like, i would be worried. but its only the first week so i'm not stressin too much. The Vikes will be fine....i predict a 12-4 finish hahahaha
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:00 pm

Monday night at Lambeau Field against a pretty decent Packers team, I think they played alright for having their QB play a whole 2 quarters in the pre-season. It's just the first game but I can tell that they will be better than last year.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:21 pm

Personally I came away from that Green Bay game with a sick feeling in my stomach. They look like the same old, self-inflicting wounds Vikings from last year. A GOOD defense rips up a brand new quarterback like Rodgers. Too many stupid penalties and unimaginitive play calling. Honestly, the whole first half looked like Childress was trying to hide his best plays so no one could scout his offense. Sure, A.D. had some nice runs, but overall it was a sputtering offense that couldn't put anything together.

I will say this - the Vikes got robbed, no MUGGED on some pass plays with no inteference called!!!!!! The bomb where Berrian got jumped on before the ball got there - that should have been 1st down at the 20 or wherever it was. And was it Wade or Rice that tried to make a one-handed catch while the Packer D-back was hugging the other arm???!!!!!!??? God Bless America that stuff really bites!!!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby HeisAlive » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:09 pm

From what i've seen of the game, it was really hard to watch... Both teams have a long way to go for the gold... Vikes looked like they started from where they left off last year and the Packers did the same. I just wondering what kind of game it would be for the Vikes to play the Gophers and the Packers play against the Badgers... :lol: That might be better games.
Phil 4:13,19
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:55 pm

HeisAlive wrote:From what i've seen of the game, it was really hard to watch... Both teams have a long way to go for the gold... Vikes looked like they started from where they left off last year and the Packers did the same. I just wondering what kind of game it would be for the Vikes to play the Gophers and the Packers play against the Badgers... :lol: That might be better games.

No
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:59 am

Here we go again..............It's always the officials who cost the vikes a game.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballfan_05 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:01 pm

0-2, time for jackson to get out of there. Why doesn't Childress utilize Kleinsausser at all, hes better than the guys they try to bring in to play TE all the time, just stupid.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:40 pm

bballfan_05 wrote:0-2, time for jackson to get out of there. Why doesn't Childress utilize Kleinsausser at all, hes better than the guys they try to bring in to play TE all the time, just stupid.

I don't think TJACK is the problem....i think playcalling is the problem...maybe i'm the only one that thinks a 3 year old could call plays better....TJACK can only go and try to execute the plays he is told to run.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:58 pm

The Schwab wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:0-2, time for jackson to get out of there. Why doesn't Childress utilize Kleinsausser at all, hes better than the guys they try to bring in to play TE all the time, just stupid.

I don't think TJACK is the problem....i think playcalling is the problem...maybe i'm the only one that thinks a 3 year old could call plays better....TJACK can only go and try to execute the plays he is told to run.

could complete more the 30-59 passes though over 2 games. thats not on hte playcalling, thats on his inability to throw.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:57 pm

Let me see...........run Ad on first down, try something like a screen or a short dish on second down, then work the sidelines on third down and long hoping to get a gift from the referee's.

Then punt, or repeat.

Yup, pretty creative play calling. I'd actually like to see how Frerotte runs it, if he isn't any better than Jackson I'd fire Childress as soon as the season looks like 8-8 or worse and install Leslie Frazier as the new guy on an interim basis to see how the team responds to him. I've seriously seem more creativity in play calling at a youth football game.

End of Rant.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby chevyman11 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:00 pm

And to think this is just the start of a long torturing season. Someone should try givin the Vikes a map of where the endzone is.
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cornerback*22* » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:19 pm

the vikings are always common street trash......except All Day AP, that guy is an absolute stud,
cornerback*22*

Postby bballfan_05 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:05 am

NDSportsFan wrote:Let me see...........run Ad on first down, try something like a screen or a short dish on second down, then work the sidelines on third down and long hoping to get a gift from the referee's.

Then punt, or repeat.

Yup, pretty creative play calling. I'd actually like to see how Frerotte runs it, if he isn't any better than Jackson I'd fire Childress as soon as the season looks like 8-8 or worse and install Leslie Frazier as the new guy on an interim basis to see how the team responds to him. I've seriously seem more creativity in play calling at a youth football game.

End of Rant.

The best part of this whole deal is that Childress was supposed to be an offensive mastermind..... Yet to be seen in MN
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby HeisAlive » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:19 am

NDSportsFan wrote:Let me see...........run Ad on first down, try something like a screen or a short dish on second down, then work the sidelines on third down and long hoping to get a gift from the referee's.

Then punt, or repeat.

End of Rant.

Why wait until mid season, send the pink slip now and save a lot of pain for everyone :D
Phil 4:13,19
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:18 pm

The change at quarterback makes this a MUST win. They lose this one and we can write em off for this season...
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby chevyman11 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:34 pm

Missed the game today but saw they won. What was the deciding factor? Did everything come together or was it just the change at QB?
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thejoker » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:02 pm

IN GUS WE TRUST
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby DeuceTrey » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:23 pm

chevyman11 wrote:Missed the game today but saw they won. What was the deciding factor? Did everything come together or was it just the change at QB?

Definitely Winfield sack/fumble return for TD
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things