Vikes Tamper with Favre?

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Vikes Tamper with Favre?

Postby ndfan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:15 pm

So have the Vikings tampered with Brett Favre? Should Brad Childress be fired if he really did talk to him? Its going to be interesting to see what comes out of this in the next 2 to 4 weeks :).
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: Vikes Tamper with Favre?

Postby point/center » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:04 pm

What if Favre let it be known that he wanted MN to contact him?

Regardless just the Vikes making a indication they are interested just flushed T-Jax confidence down the toilet. Stupid MN can't leave well enough alone.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:49 pm

I'd like to know how they are going to prove tampering when Favre and the Vikings assistant that called him have a personal relationship from their days together in Green Bay. You would need a transcript of the call to know if it was a business call or just friends talking.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:53 pm

Hinsa wrote:I'd like to know how they are going to prove tampering when Favre and the Vikings assistant that called him have a personal relationship from their days together in Green Bay. You would need a transcript of the call to know if it was a business call or just friends talking.

but u would always have to wonder how often they do call each other? if they do it a few times a month you cant prove anything...if this was the first time since he left green bay it can raise some questions.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:23 am

It will be tough to prove but if successful I appreciate the extra draft choice(s) we'll get! :D
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:55 pm

scruffy wrote:It will be tough to prove but if successful I appreciate the extra draft choice(s) we'll get! :D

I'm pretty sure you don't get anything. If the Vikings lose draft picks they just lose them, they don't go to the Packers.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:34 am

From the looks of it what the Packers have is a cell phone that they provided to Favre has records showing that he's called his old QB coach and current OC, Daryl Bevel, and he's also made calls to Childress. I also think that a few years ago one of the teams had to forfeit a 5th or 6th rounder to the Bears for tampering. Either way, I'm sure that it'll be hard to prove and at worst the Vikings will give up a very late pick if found guilty.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:31 pm

Flip wrote:
scruffy wrote:It will be tough to prove but if successful I appreciate the extra draft choice(s) we'll get! :D

I'm pretty sure you don't get anything. If the Vikings lose draft picks they just lose them, they don't go to the Packers.

Well the league took the fifth round pick away from the 49ers this year after supposedly tampering with Lance Briggs of the Chicago Bears. The 49ers didn't lose a third round draft pick but they had to switch with the Bears, the bears had 12th pick and 49ers had 7th pick so they flip flopped.

What interest me is during that ordeal there wasn't as much evidence as the Packers supposedly have. If Favre and Childress actually talked I could see a 1st or 2nd round draft pick lost. Will be interesting to see.

NFL strips 49ers of fifth-round draft pick for tampering
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The San Francisco 49ers forfeited their fifth-round pick in next month's NFL draft on Monday after commissioner Roger Goodell deemed them guilty of tampering with Chicago linebacker Lance Briggs.

San Francisco 49ers
» Video | Schedule | Stats
» Roster | Depth chart | Transactions
» Official team site: sf49ers.com
Goodell also determined the teams will switch picks in the third round of the April 26-27 draft. Chicago, which had the 12th pick, will get San Francisco's seventh pick and the 49ers will get Chicago's choice.

Goodell determined the 49ers violated the NFL's anti-tampering policy by contacting Briggs' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, about his client during the 2007 season.

Briggs, an all-Pro in 2007, had been designated as Chicago's franchise player, signing a one-year tender that meant he could not leave the Bears.

"The 49ers organization respects Commissioner Goodell's ruling today," said 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan, "however we do disagree with it. This was not a malicious act; we believe that our intent was within the NFL guidelines. Going forward, we will take the necessary steps to ensure we are in compliance with the NFL's interpretation."

Briggs had been expected to leave as a free agent after last season but instead re-signed with Chicago for $36 million over six years this offseason. Briggs will earn $21.6 million in the first three years of the deal and $13 million of the contract is guaranteed.

There had been reports of contact between the 49ers and Rosenhaus last season, and the Bears filed a tampering charge with the NFL. Goodell said both teams cooperated with his investigation into the allegations.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bbjay » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:53 am

Favre said it himself, if the Vikings are accused of tampering, then 8 or 9 other teams should be as well.
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things