fantasy sports...is killing me

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

fantasy sports...is killing me

Postby point/center » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:25 pm

I have to say after over a decade of playing fantasy sports I need to give it up. I tell myself every year I'm going go quit....but can't and don't. Anyone else?

I used to love the Twins and Vikings, now I don't care about them unless I have Adrian Peterson or Joe Mauer. I don't watch games for the games, I watch to see the ticker on the bottom with the other player updates. Vikings can lose but if AP had 100 and 2 TDs I was happy...sick...

In all sincerity fantasy sports has made me more interested in the individual and less about the game/team.

How's that for Monday afternoon drivel.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Re: fantasy sports...is killing me

Postby The Schwab » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:34 pm

point/center wrote:I have to say after over a decade of playing fantasy sports I need to give it up. I tell myself every year I'm going go quit....but can't and don't. Anyone else?

I used to love the Twins and Vikings, now I don't care about them unless I have Adrian Peterson or Joe Mauer. I don't watch games for the games, I watch to see the ticker on the bottom with the other player updates. Vikings can lose but if AP had 100 and 2 TDs I was happy...sick...

In all sincerity fantasy sports has made me more interested in the individual and less about the game/team.

Totally agree with you on this....I feel the same way, but for the first time in years i didn't have a fantasy football team, but I'm making up for it with 2 baseball teams haha......I also do football picks and i think that is worse, cause i sometimes find myself confused as to who to cheer for
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:37 pm

The Schwab wrote:
point/center wrote:I have to say after over a decade of playing fantasy sports I need to give it up. I tell myself every year I'm going go quit....but can't and don't. Anyone else?

Totally agree with you on this....I feel the same way, but for the first time in years i didn't have a fantasy football team, but I'm making up for it with 2 baseball teams haha......I also do football picks and i think that is worse, cause i sometimes find myself confused as to who to cheer for

admitting the problem is much easier than breaking the addiction. i've stayed away from pick'em. can't imagine picking the Pack over the Vikes..but if it came down to the $$$...yeah...I'm with ya....
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:24 pm

i don't mind fantasy baseball because with the season being so long, basically it is a little harder to get into it really hardcore except for maybe in april and in september. other than that, you just kind of say 'well, there is always tomorrow'.

fantasy football on the other hand, i do not enjoy. i don't like that a guy can completely dominate a game and if he doesn't score a touchdown, the game is essentially a bad game fantasy-wise. with the bulk of the games on sunday (and just 16 games in a season) it turns each week into a pass/fail kind of situation.

dunno...i've watched my players in fantasy baseball and because one game is 1/162nd of the season (potentially, barring injury) i find it more enjoyable to endure the bad game/week/month. A bad month in fantasy football can cripple you. then again, my enjoyment of the nfl has diminished from even 4 or 5 years ago. the league just doesn't have the appeal it once did, where as the older i get i enjoy baseball more and more (just personal preference, maybe that explains everything?)

i've also thought that fantasy baseball, because there are so many ways to get points, makes for a more enjoyable experience. in fantasy football, most leagues come down to the touchdown. pretty cut and dry. i haven't ever done a fantasy basketball/nascar/hockey/etc league, so maybe they are more enjoyable?
rep

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:25 pm

I've been the same fantasy football league since I was 12 years old, I'm now 26. I can not imagine the NFL without fantasy football. I am as big a Viking fan as I have ever been, probably even more now. I really kind of want to get our of fantasy baseball. It is so much harder to keep track of and you have to pay attention all the time if you want to do well. Draft is so mind numbing too. Our draft usually takes around 4 hours and we have a 3 minute time limit per pick. Keeping track of 27 players is tough. I would love to try fantasy basketball. I've never done one before.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things