Best All Around ND high school athlete

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby ndfan » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:48 am

Who's the best all around ND high school athlete in ND? Somebody who was a stand out in more then one sport.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wombat » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:44 pm

As anyone on this site will probably soon realize, i'm very partial to Cavalier! so i'm gonna start this topic off by saying BRADY TRENBEATH

3XState Baseball Champion. Pitched in, and Won 2 of the three championship games. One of them he pitched 9 innings, Struck out 12, and was IN A NECK BRACE after breaking his neck early in the season!

Led Cavalier to its first State Basketball appearance in nearly 15 years. Named Class "B" player of the year. Mr. Basketball Finalist. Multiple All-District selection.

2XState Football Champion (3X Region Champion) Had record for most TD's in a season (36, but Matt Anderson broke that record this year) Played Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receiver, Kick Returner, Punter, Linebacker, EP Holder... and i'm fairly sure he scored from EVERY one of those positions. Oh yeah, he was the AA Player of the year in 2003-2004 also... There is a VERY legitimate chance that he would have been the State Baseball Player of the Year had it not been for his injury. (he threw a no hitter in his only game that he pitched in before breaking his neck) and could have been the Player of the year in THREE sports in the same year. The player that did win the player of the year that year was Jeremy Horst from DLB and that is who Brady beat in the State Title game.

Matt Anderson is a pretty good athlete too... but i'll let him finish out his career before expanding on it.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:28 pm

I would have to put Weston Dressler in the mix. I don't know his stats for football but i know they were impressive, was part of a pretty good Bismarck basketball team i believe, and set a few state track records in the state. Which helped his team win the track titile. Maybe somebody can give some stats on him. He was also named Gatorade player of the year in football the same year trenbeath was a senior.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wombat » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:13 pm

I know Dressler was a 2,000+ rusher...

2 other kids i just thought of would be another Bismarck kid, Jordan Englehardt. He was a stud FB player. Then in the winter he played both basketball and wrestling. His junior year he took 3rd in state wrestling and went to state in BB and was a big contributor. His senior year he concentrated on basketball solely and was one of their best players. I'm not sure if he played a spring sport or not.

Dan Halcrow of Drayton, ND was a stellar athlete. He was pretty much their lone shining star on their pitiful football team. He went to UND and got some playing time after high school. He was also one of the very best Basketball players in the state. He could score at will and MAN could he dunk it. he might have been senior athlete of the region or up for it anyway i think. Then in the spring he qualified for the state Golf meet. He qualified for more than one event in state track, but high jump was his best event I believe. and He also played on the baseball team that took second in the region to Cavalier, the eventual state champions. I'm not positive but he may have been senior athlete of the region in Baseball too?
Mitch Greenwood

Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wombat » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:17 pm

I'm just gonna keep on going with this subject. Being I live in Mayville I can't forget about Craig Nelson. Starting QB for MPCG, very good QB. Led his BB team to 2 straight state titles during a ??? 50 game winning streak? and then did very well at the state Golf meet in the spring.

Another guy mentioned in the best FB player link... Jimmy K. Obviously we all know of his FB accomplishments. but he was also on a state champion BB team and if you ever go to the state track meet you can go to the shot put pit and if you stand at the very end of the pit and look out of the pit a few feet you will see the flag that marks his record throw!
Mitch Greenwood

Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:35 pm

hands down---no question---Roger Maris, coming in behind him would be Darin Erstad and Rick Helling, Jimmy K. Doug Beuadoin
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:45 pm

What other sports did Helling play in high school other then baseball? All agree with ya on Maris, Erstad and Jimmy K.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:04 pm

stud FB player. Had a full ride waiting for him at UND to play linebacker. back in the day at Lakota was all-township:shock: in BB
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:39 pm

My vote is to Maris.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thundercrew » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:36 pm

As Wombat is Partial to Cavalier, I am very partial to Northwood-Hatton. I agree that Brady Trenbeath is one of the better athletes that North Dakota has seen in a long while. There have been football players, basektball players, and baseball players that have had great success, but Trenbeath did it all, and has even battled back from a serious injury that could have ended his ahtletic career.

A real tremendous athlete is Abby Reiter from Hatton. I'm not sure if anybody has seen her play. She has complete control of the game, and is able to make plays that many guys couldnt make. if you ever get the chance to watch the Thunder play, jump on it. She'll impress you, not only on the basketball court but also volleyball and track and field.  and she still has a year left.
Last edited by thundercrew on Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thundercrew

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:31 pm

A senior from wells county would be my best all around female athlete. Maria Weigelt is as good as they get. I havent seen a girl shoot a jumper coming off the screen full throttle as well as she does in a long time.  Also an excellent trackster and volleball player.

Alex Belquist from New Rockford was a good one, Brady Trenbeath was also very good. Too many to choose from for so many different reasons.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:04 am

It seems like every year you could add a new candidate to the list. 
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Double Bonus » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:14 pm

I know there's no possible way to pick just one. I think you have to put Jared Essler of Minot Ryan into the mix. He was awesome at football, basketball and track. He was probably an excellent monoply player.

Jim Kleinsasser of Carrington, football, basketball and track. I remember when he heaved the shot put 60 feet or better. I like Weston Dressler's name in there. Kinsey Coles of Hillsboro and Chelsea Hausauer of Velva would have to go in there. I also like Karissa Jahner of Fargo.
Double Bonus

Postby UND9296 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:29 am

I have to give the nod to Kleinsasser. His football abilities are known to everybody, he was a DOMINATING high school basketball player with his strength and leaping ability, and he probably had the best ability of any high school thrower in ND history.

Although he was before my time, I would throw the late Dave "Butch" Lince (Mott) into the mix, as well. He was an all american football player at UND and played a couple of years in the NFL; he was an awesome high school basketball player and played on some great UND teams with Phil Jackson; and he held the state javelin record for years. He still holds the retired "old" javelin record at UND.
Last edited by UND9296 on Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:58 am

[user=15]Double Bonus[/user] wrote:
I know there's no possible way to pick just one. I think you have to put Jared Essler of Minot Ryan into the mix. He was awesome at football, basketball and track. He was probably an excellent monoply player.

Jim Kleinsasser of Carrington, football, basketball and track. I remember when he heaved the shot put 60 feet or better. I like Weston Dressler's name in there. Kinsey Coles of Hillsboro and Chelsea Hausauer of Velva would have to go in there. I also like Karissa Jahner of Fargo.

HAHA we should have everybody thats been named on here, play each other in a Monopoly tournament. Winner is named best all-around athlete in North Dakota. :dude:

Jared Essler is a good one had a nice career at NDSU too.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bruins44 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:24 am

Tony Satter of Fargo South won 3 state titles, Football, Basketball and Track...
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:51 pm

James Hennessey of Williston.  Mr. Basketball last year.  Gatorade state bball player, probably should of been Gatorade State baseball player of the year, he proved he was a better overall pitcher then Kyle Carr.  He even beat Carr up in Williston by throwing a one hitter, and Carr got smoked up there giving up a HR to Hennessey.  One of the top QB's in the state as a junior. 
Last edited by Ming01 on Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby lefty » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:04 am

yeah i agree, atleast of recent...carr and hennessey have probably been the best
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigbballfan » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:39 pm

heck why not put in josh lagein? it's not like he's bad at everything he does...who knows where he's going to go but he is going to go somewhere for baseball is what i hear. why can't he be in on it? is it because he hasn't won any state championships?...every single person everyone has mentioned didn't do it all themselves. sure most of them made outstanding plays but nobody can play a team sport without a team. you have to have somebody to hand the ball to a runningback or pass to the receiver, you have to have someone pass it to you for the 3 point shot or the layup, you have to have someone to catch for you to throw that strike. Lagein is that player. he is an awesome football player almost breaking the interception record, having almost as many assists as kendell hunt, making the clutch shot when it's needed, throwing the strikeout and his baseball season is coming up. watch for him this baseball season. maybe i'm wrong tell me if i am
only a true basketball player knows the game, how to play it, and what he/she needs to know to do the things that make a team and themselves great
bigbballfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BBall dominator » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:23 pm

Took awhile for someone to mention Carr amazing football QB but 9-man is different but a name I like is that man from strasburg Dykema the only memory I have of him is playing him in basketball when he was a senior and he fell down and I asked him if he was alright he replied "Can't hurt steel" I almost died laughing but then he proceeded to have a double-double that night even with 3 guys draped all over him but we won but amazing athlete.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Saas25 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:07 pm

Brian Dykema?

Saas25
NDPreps Starter

Postby BBall dominator » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:52 am

yep sorry i forgot he had a brother his brother was also a very good athlete
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UNC1 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:00 pm

Derek Pauley from Bowman he was on the second team all state in basketball, he also was all state in football.
UNC1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Honus355 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:58 pm

For an all-time best player I would have to go with Maris (all out star at Shanley) followed by Jimmy K. Jim was a very good 3 sport athlete, just a MAMOTH on the hardwood. I saw him slam it one time in Devils Lake and I thought he was going to pull the basket down from the rafters.
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:17 pm

What about Darin Erstad?
Like we all know,amazing baseball player, punted at Nebraska, and was also a very good hockey player.
Last edited by Ming01 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things