semi-pro football starting in Fargo

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

semi-pro football starting in Fargo

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:07 pm

There will be a combine in Feb. I think for guys interested in playing football in Fargo. The team will be named the Fargo Moorhead Liberty, they have a website with more information. It's not really semi-pro, the players will not be paid anything, sounds like a chance for former college players to still have some fun, or for some guys who didn't get the chance to play in college to see if they still have it. Since there is no pay there is no danger of losing any college eligibility.

I think it's a good idea. There are plenty of sceptics out there who will say that since the defunct FM Freeze didn't work, that this has no chance. Semi-pro football leagues exist all over the country, there's no reason it wouldn't work here. The costs of running this league have to be very minimal compared to an arena league team, where facilities are more costly and players are paid. There is also a team forming in the Detroit Lakes area also.

Comments?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Re: semi-pro football starting in Fargo

Postby rep » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:10 pm

if it isn't the bison it has a hard time surviving in fargo. this venture will be no different.
rep

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:49 pm

What constitutes success? It looks like the operating budgets would be under 12K a year, mostly for field rental, fees for officials and various equipment costs. Most of this is paid by a player fee and sponsorships, so I don't think they are worried about attracting big gates. The coaches are volunteer, so where is the risk?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:37 pm

I think it would be great, bring in some of the local talent that have played for the bison and sioux that went pro but just couldn't make it like the rob hunts, greg eslingers, kyle steffes, Digger Andersons. I'd love to go watch those guys play ball again.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby thundercat 99 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:47 pm

But with no salary, would these guys really even consider playing?
''You play to win the game!''
thundercat 99
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:11 pm

I don't see any of those names, but there are a few former Bison on the early roster on their website. I think the appeal is just to play some football and have some fun for those guys who are still in the area. The other attraction is for former high school stars who want to see if they still have it.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bisonslayer » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:37 pm

Valley city state reprensentin, Brad Elliot, Brian Wieland, Ryan Drinkwater.
North Dakota Preps JV Enforcer
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things