on the outside looking in: Hausauer misses out on NFR

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

on the outside looking in: Hausauer misses out on NFR

Postby point/center » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:47 am

Like NASCAR, every rodeo counts in the PRCA.

And six cowboys made the most of their last opportunity to qualify for the National Finals Rodeo by competing at the Wrangler ProRodeo Tour Championship in Dallas.

Topping that list is five-time world saddle bronc champion Billy Etbauer.

Etbauer earned $8,572 to jump from 17th to 14th in the 2007 regular season standings. By qualifying for his 19th NFR, Etbauer bumped out Dusty Hausauer, of Dickinson, N.D. Jake Hayworth was in 15th place, but is out after undergoing knee surgery.

Plenty of drama surrounded Etbauer's last-ditch attempt to qualify.

He suffered a broken leg at the rodeo in Colorado Springs, Colo., in mid-July. The injury put him out of competition for six weeks. When Etbauer returned, his schedule was full with rodeos and therapy sessions.

"The leg and foot still aren't back to running right," said the 44-year-old cowboy. "So I'm just tickled to have made it through. I'm not thinking about a sixth title. I'll just try to ride well, stay healthy and see where that gets me."

Others who muscled their way into the top 15 at the last regular-season rodeo are: team ropers Jimmy Edens and Ryan Motes; steer wrestler Matt Reeves; tie-down roper Clint Cooper and bull rider Colin McTaggart.

Cooper is the son of ProRodeo Hall of Famer Roy Cooper.

McTaggart will have the easiest trip to the NFR. The Thomas and Mack Center is an easy walk from his dorm room on the campus of the University of Nevada-Las Vegas.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things