Minors and athletes

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby Saucesauer » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:34 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:
Sportshound wrote:rules are rules!  follow them or be left behind.

all Games have rules, break them and pay a penalty.

Drink, Smoke, guilt by association of being aorund a party(even if not indulging) is guilty and a penalty is in place for those infractions.

some schools have stiffer penalties than others, but the State ND A.Assoc. has those rules stated and those that want to play in the state, abide or get booted. Not a problem.

even if you are legal age (ie: 18-- to smoke) doesn't supercede the rules that you have agreed to follow by your participation in HS sports.

people you are stupid to think that it is OK to smoke, drink, do any drugs and play sports. it is a death sentence in some cases.

Any of you that think people don't know when you area  smaoker, that is false(you smell). If you think you hide the Drugs-- haha--NOt we know when you are stoned, and Drinking--  your body reeks of the smell also.

even if you don't get caught-- you are hindering your teammates and their hard work. stop or quit playing.

Make sense??

Haha funny you say they hinder your team because i know for a fact that there were about 5-9 kids in hockey that didnt get stoned before a game and did absolutly terriable and that was the only game they didnt and when they were their game was on i belive 3 of them were amongst the top scorers in the state their senior year. if you know the people who smoke sooo well why dont you turn them in insted of turning a blind eye you after all are only hurting their future as much as they are by letting them get away with it;)

Are you kidding me?!?  Let's get stoned before a game so we play better....bunch of winners there.  Bright future ahead of them...

Haha ya i know the funny thing is they beat us everygame and 3 of them made all state and 2 of them plus one that wasnt all state are still playing hockey at another level
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dtvman » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:05 am

vikes705 wrote:i agree with those of you who said that you had no problem staying drug/juice/tobacco free in high school.  in high school, i was in basketball, football, and baseball and on weekends i would hang out with the other guys on my team, we all cared too much about sports to drink and we all had each other to hang out with, and we were happy.  if none of your friends are drinking, chances are that you aren't either. 

a few years back there was a situation in a high school (i can't remember which one exactly, but it was a class b school) where a girl was 18 and got caught smoking right before her high school's prom.  she ended up taking the school to court because she was legally of age to smoke.  she ended up getting to attend prom. this situation was different than it would be if she was fighting to be in sports because of the ndhsaa rules that a player agrees to at the beginning of the season. but still, i thought it would open up the door for other 18 year old students to fight their schools about smoking, but i'm not sure if it has.

That was Hillsboro.  The situation was that the school has rules in line with the NDHSAA that go beyond sports and extend to all extra curricular activities including dances and such.  It has been that way for a very long time, since before I graduated more than 15 years ago.
dtvman

Postby dtvman » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:13 am

All of you kids who are still in high school or just out of high school are in for a rude awakening if you think nothing like this will happen to you in real life.  There are employers out there who will not hire you if you are a smoker.  Most employers would have issues with people coming in to work smelling of alcohol even if you haven't been drinking at work.  There are plenty of situations where just because you have the right legally to do something, it does not mean you can do it.
dtvman

Postby trackbbfan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:03 am

Could not have said it better myself dtvman......GREAT point.  
trackbbfan
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things