OJ Mayo's Ref Bump

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:38 pm

"And if a little contact happens so be it"

Zero respect, I hope you are justing typing and you really don't beleive the things you write. 

The biggest difference between criminals and the rest of us is respect for others (property/persons).  

Go around running into people whether it be a light tap or not and you will end up alone.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:45 pm

pshhh, i am in no way a criminal, thank you. But...basketball is a contact sport. We don't seem to mind when someone gets intentional fouled and gets shoved over. I think people are making a little too big of deal about this. He accidently bumps into a ref, and now he's labelled a thug. That is not right at all.
Last edited by project-pat on Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
project-pat

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:06 pm

It isn't the act that makes you crimininal it is the intent.

Refs don't play basketball.  They officiate.  You should probably have learned that early on in your BB career.

Idea, Ask Mr. Walker or Mr. Kunze what they would do if a player they were coaching did what OJ did, or the equivalent in FB.  Two personal fouls and then made physical contact with an official. 

When I coached I had one rule regarding players adn T's.   That was if you got a T for being mouthy or any conduct the officials deemed worthy you were done for the rest of the game and the first half of the next game. I would really be interesting in knowing what your coaches policy is.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:12 pm

yeah in bowman...if you get a T, your done for the rest of the game...not sure about the next game. But, we're not talking about bowman, we're talking about O.J. Mayo. He did not try to bump into the ref, that's just how it happened. But there's no need to say that he's a cocky thug and that you lose all respect for him. If he would've pushed him on purpose, you woulda seen him actually put his hands on him and shove. Don't just say he's gonna be like that forever because of one incident.
Last edited by project-pat on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
project-pat

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:24 pm

Why does OJ and the rest of the world get a pass?  I found another angle of the incident on youtube and that angle looks like their feet did get tangled rather than a push.  Regardless, he is not the victim. 

I will concede that he is young and it would be horrible to pigeon hole someone at this point. 

Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:27 pm

He doesn't get a pass, I understand the suspension. But still, it would be a whole different story if he actually tried to knock him down. And it's not like he ran over there and jacked him up or anything. He was just a little frustrated and going towards the ref too fast, feet got tangled, the ref fell, this situation is being blown way out of porportion
project-pat

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:33 pm

You understand but he doesn't that is why he appealed.

Who appeals HS decisions?  Again a pro (criminal) thought process.

MLB is/was the same, if you appealed a specific number of games you were suspended they would reduce the games automatically.  Whether you did it or not, Nanny 911 would rip you for giving in.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:40 pm

i would appeal of high school suspension if the time was right...I think high school sports are getting to be alot more competitive than pro sports, we have more to play for.
project-pat

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:44 pm

Are you saying school spirit, pride, allegiances to friends are more important than $$$?  I really hope you are.

Guys that transfer just to get national exposure aren't playing for that first list.  To get a better college scholarship and get an education also worthwhile goals.  To go pro..well if you are good they will find you.
Last edited by Wild Wolves on Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:00 pm

That's what is good about small school basketball.
project-pat

Previous

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things