Paul Olson in Decathalon

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Paul Olson in Decathalon

Postby vikingman » Fri May 12, 2023 8:08 pm

Obviously I'm not too well-informed about track. I see that Paul Olson is doing the Decathalon at NDSU. How does scoring work in the Decathalon events? If you are doing high jump in the Decathalon, does your same best jump also apply to the individual event?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Re: Paul Olson in Decathalon

Postby WalkingStick » Fri May 12, 2023 8:38 pm

vikingman wrote:Obviously I'm not too well-informed about track. I see that Paul Olson is doing the Decathalon at NDSU. How does scoring work in the Decathalon events? If you are doing high jump in the Decathalon, does your same best jump also apply to the individual event?

No it does not carry over to the individual event from the Decathlon or Heptathlon.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Fri May 12, 2023 9:15 pm

so how many points would the team get if their athlete won the decathalon?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Sat May 13, 2023 12:20 am

vikingman wrote:so how many points would the team get if their athlete won the decathalon?

Same as any other event win
College meets that do scoring use the same scoring system of ND HS Meets - placing to 8
1st - 10
2nd - 8
3rd - 6
4th - 5
5th - 4
6th - 3
7th - 2
8th - 1

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Sat May 13, 2023 6:26 pm

This isn't making sense to me. So why would you waste a very good all-around athlete by competing in 10 events when you can only win 10 pts max, when they could specialize in a few events with potential to get a lot more. Or is Olson not good enough to place in high jump at this level in the 'regular' event.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Sat May 13, 2023 11:35 pm

vikingman wrote:This isn't making sense to me. So why would you waste a very good all-around athlete by competing in 10 events when you can only win 10 pts max, when they could specialize in a few events with potential to get a lot more. Or is Olson not good enough to place in high jump at this level in the 'regular' event.

It's hard to compare right now as he is ONLY a freshman but he wasn't a participant at the outdoor conference track meet this weekend so his HJ height must not be good enough...BUT Paul has shown us in 2 years of track (1 HS & 1 College) that he's really good at multiple events...hence the look at him in the Dec (outdoors)/Hep (indoors) - He did compete in the Indoor conference meet in the Heptathlon

His College PR is 6' 8.25"
he's been averaging 6' 5"

7' 0.25" won the Summit League this weekend (Austin Wolf...formerly of Legacy); 6' 7" was placing.

Opening Height for HJ individual is higher then that of the Dec/Hep

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things