COVID-19 and the return of HS athletics

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: COVID-19 and the return of HS athletics

Postby The Schwab » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:03 pm

I'll try to answer your reply in order, not going to quote as it takes up too much space.

1. I will agree with you that manufacturing jobs are increasing, I disagree that this will bring back small town, main street America. I would absolutely love to be wrong on this, I would love to see small town business alive and well.

2. I absolutely agree that amazon and walmart experienced huge gains (which I hate seeing, because it kills more small town businesses), but they weren't the only areas that grew. Outdoor gear providers (biking, hiking, golf etc... experienced great gains), the collectible industries (small vintage toy stores, record stores etc...) experienced growth. I would assume that flower shops and outdoor landscape companies also experienced great gains.

3. Do I think it's as deadly as first claimed? Absolutely not. I don't like people saying that only people with pre-existing conditions as the only ones who suffer. Do people realize all that is entailed in the pre-existing conditions. Do you think that being overweight, auto immune disease, diabetes, asthma, high blood pressure etc... should be a death sentence. I know I don't

4. Wearing a mask doesn't protect you (unless you're wearing a respirator such as an N-95). It helps protect other people. I know that I will wear one as it helps protect others because I may be asymptomatic and don't want to spread it to the other vulnerable populations. If you have questions as to if masks work or not, I encourage you to research countries where masks are the norm and their population has higher density than we do. The fact of the matter is: mask wearing has turned into a political thing. If you wear a mask you must be a liberal is the general belief in our state. I would actually love to see a poll where they get opinions from actual medical doctors to see the percentages in favor of masks.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Good stuff as always Schwab:

1. Bringing back small town and bringing back main street America are 2 different things IMO. Also, bringing back brick and mortar businesses are not always necessary with the ability to utilize the internet to keep overhead down. Much more efficient ways to reduce square footage and still bring back main street. As for small towns coming back? Most small towns no longer have enough basic infrastructure to ever come back. Hopefully some of these small towns have entrepreneurs who can get people to move to their towns and work via utilization of the internet, satellites, etc. :D

2. My bigger point was the closing of businesses and "herding our population" through "gates". Social distancing was the big point early on and still is. By closing most businesses and herding the population into a few areas lacked common sense in my mind. It seemed exactly opposite of what they were preaching.

3. I disagree that everybody has to have their hand held. Symptoms and people who were more likely to catch the virus was known early on. Other than that, I concur with your post.

4. Agree with wearing a respirator protects the person using it. It's for inhalation protection. You are spot on with population density. However, did you also know that these other countries that you speak of utilized hydroxychloroquine in conjunction with zinc and azithromycin. Even in so called 3rd world countries, the use of the above "3-pack" early on had tremendous success. Touching on the political point of your statement, the only reason the use of the 3-pack was shot down in the US was because 1 person touted it as a possible aid in fighting the virus, therefore you could not discuss it, agree with it, or use it unless prescribed. Very sad that everything has become political. As for wearing a mask to protect others, I think it's fine. For me, I find myself constantly moving it and touching it, mask that is. Then touching something else without thinking. Having followed food safety manufacturing guidelines for years, washing your hands properly, staying home when sick, keeping your distance and covering your mouth if you have to cough or sneeze are all good practices. Wearing a mask is certainly an option if you choose. Staying home from events if you feel you are at high risk is common sense. But mandating these things are a stretch too far IMO.
Last edited by Bison-Vikes #1 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:48 pm

I truly hate how everything has been politicized. I agree with most of what you said, but I don't know if we are ever going to agree on the mask issue. However, it's completely fine that we don't! Everyone is entitled to their opinions! I wish that people in power and running for power could be more civil. I think it would make our country a lot better and it would make me feel as if we weren't sitting on top of a powder keg.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:58 pm

The Schwab wrote: but I don't know if we are ever going to agree on the mask issue. However, it's completely fine that we don't! Everyone is entitled to their opinions!

Homerun. What I have always appreciated about this website. Open dialogue and respecting other's opinions. Doesn't mean we have to agree, but being civilized and having discussions can be very eye opening. Well said.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things