Why did NDHSAA rename the classes?

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Why did NDHSAA rename the classes?

Postby 5-time state chump » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:49 pm

I'm sure this has been discussed...but we went from
AAA
AA
A

to
AA
A
B

I don't understand. At all. I can't think of ANY rational, logical, helpful reason. AAA, AA, A made the most sense. They all contained variations of the same letter.

What's next?

A
B
C
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Why did NDHSAA rename the classes?

Postby WalkingStick » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:06 pm

Well 11B & 9B are the B schools while 11AA & 11A are the A schools (couldn’t have two 11As so larger schools became AA); that’s my guess.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:39 am

They changed the format of the divisions so that no Class A teams are in with Class B teams. So to separate it all and make it easier to understand, you get two division ending in A for class A teams and two divisions ending in B for class B teams.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 5-time state chump » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:17 am

ndlionsfan wrote:They changed the format of the divisions so that no Class A teams are in with Class B teams. So to separate it all and make it easier to understand, you get two division ending in A for class A teams and two divisions ending in B for class B teams.

Do you mean "so that no Class A teams are with Class B teams" across different sports? (To make football match up with other sports?)

Because....I mean.... "No A teams are with B teams" That is true now. But before, it was the same thing, except they just made sure "No AA teams were with A Teams" And no AAA Teams were with AA teams.

I guess I still don't get it. Unless its the first reason I gave. (To align things across different sports)

Once you "name" a division and put teams in that division, those teams are "with" the same teams as themselves. So now we have two B-Divisions. B and 9-B. They still are in different divisions. Like what good does it do to call them "B" instead of "A" ? What does it fix or change?
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:54 am

5-time state chump wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:They changed the format of the divisions so that no Class A teams are in with Class B teams. So to separate it all and make it easier to understand, you get two division ending in A for class A teams and two divisions ending in B for class B teams.

Do you mean "so that no Class A teams are with Class B teams" across different sports? (To make football match up with other sports?)

Because....I mean.... "No A teams are with B teams" That is true now. But before, it was the same thing, except they just made sure "No AA teams were with A Teams" And no AAA Teams were with AA teams.

I guess I still don't get it. Unless its the first reason I gave. (To align things across different sports)

Once you "name" a division and put teams in that division, those teams are "with" the same teams as themselves. So now we have two B-Divisions. B and 9-B. They still are in different divisions. Like what good does it do to call them "B" instead of "A" ? What does it fix or change?

I have no idea. You will need to call the NDHSAA and ask those questions. All I know is before they had some class A and some class B teams in the AA division and they changed the format to separate that.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDPREP » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:09 am

Basically as was stated, football was its own beast. To better align they named it 11AA, 11A (all schools here compete in A divisions in other sports basketball, baseball, soccer etc.) and 11B and 9B (all schools in corresponding B divisions) Could they have named its BEST A and NOT BEST A? Sure.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mandan » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:01 pm

If they left the names as is, that would mean AAA and AA are only class A schools, while A and 9-man are class B schools. Doesn't make sense to have a Class A that is really just class B schools. So they renamed them. Very logical change. Especially since A and B schools will never cross over into the same class in this new system, unlike the old one.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mandan » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:02 pm

And when I say A and B schools in my previous explanation, I mean the official class as determined by where they play in basketball/volleyball and most other sports.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Return to Football