Football Rules

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Football Rules

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:18 pm

I was trying to find some rules book to check on some Calls I have seen made a few times this year that I don't understand. So looking to the experts out there to educate me so I stop yelling about something I know nothing about.

First I have seem quite a few pancake blocks this year. I don't understand how that is not a hold if the blocker takes the defense all the way to the ground. Now they are pushing them forward with their hands on the chest plate.... is it only a hold if the offensive player is pulling on the jersey? Can you grab the jersey on the chest plate as long as you are not pulling on it?
Also if the defense goes to the ground and the blocker lands on him and does not let him up? I have seen that called a hold some times and others it is a play on. Which is it?

If a kick off is touched by the offense and goes into the end zone is that an automatic downing of the ball? Even though the offense does not have possession?
On a punt.. if the player receiving the ball drops it... the ball can be recovered by the kicking team but not advanced? is that correct? But if the player catches it, makes a move and fumbles it... the kicking team can advance it?

On a punt.. If it is blocked but still goes forward and hits the defensive player... is that now a live ball?
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Re: Football Rules

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:58 am

The coaching point on blocking has always been: keep the hands inside the tits and you won't get called for a hold unless the person being blocked is be held from running in the opposite direction. Once you have engaged with a chest plate you can continue the block even if the person turns/spins as long as it isn't the ball carrier is running behind them and they are trying to turn and run 180 degrees the other way and you pull them to the ground. So the first part of your question - no it isn't a hold if they pancake you using the chest plate. It absolutely should be a foul if they don't allow you to get up, hold you down, or lay on you.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDPREP » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:27 pm

If a kick off is touched by the offense and goes into the end zone is that an automatic downing of the ball? Even though the offense does not have possession?
Offense as the punting team or offense as the receiving team? But I was under the thought the ball goes into the endzone in HS at all it becomes a touchback

On a punt.. if the player receiving the ball drops it... the ball can be recovered by the kicking team but not advanced? is that correct?
Correct

But if the player catches it, makes a move and fumbles it... the kicking team can advance it?
Correct again

On a punt.. If it is blocked but still goes forward and hits the defensive player... is that now a live ball?
If it touches a player on the receiving team past the LOS then yes it is a live ball and can be recovered by the kicking team.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:53 am

I saw a great one this past week that I really did not understand. Ball was on the 3 yard line, shotgun snap so QB was in the Endzone.. The bellies the ball to the RB at the 1 yard line.. RB gets hit and the QB pulls the ball and retreats into the end zone where he is hit and fumbles the ball. Defensive Team recovers the ball but slides OB while doing the recovery. I thought Touchdown but maybe a safety because maybe the defensive player was ruled OB. NOPE...... Ball down on the one where the RB was hit forward progress was stopped...... Yes even tho the QB pulled the ball...
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDPREP » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:58 am

maddog1971 wrote:I saw a great one this past week that I really did not understand. Ball was on the 3 yard line, shotgun snap so QB was in the Endzone.. The bellies the ball to the RB at the 1 yard line.. RB gets hit and the QB pulls the ball and retreats into the end zone where he is hit and fumbles the ball. Defensive Team recovers the ball but slides OB while doing the recovery. I thought Touchdown but maybe a safety because maybe the defensive player was ruled OB. NOPE...... Ball down on the one where the RB was hit forward progress was stopped...... Yes even tho the QB pulled the ball...

sometimes you wonder if the refs are watching what they should be watching.

Muffed punt at the 5, bounces into the end zone, receiving team falls on it. Ball out to the 20 for a touchback, it is the correct call but the fans did not agree haha.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:40 pm

Had this situation in JH game this week....
Defense interception and returned for a touchdown. On the return long after possession changed there was a block in the back on the return team and a personal foul on the offense (blindside hit). Do penalties offset and replay the down?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:46 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Had this situation in JH game this week....
Defense interception and returned for a touchdown. On the return long after possession changed there was a block in the back on the return team and a personal foul on the offense (blindside hit). Do penalties offset and replay the down?

I wouldn't think so because assume there was an interception and the offense knew there was an illegal block on the return. The offense would be incentivized to commit a penalty during the return to replay the down. That being said I don't know the ruling.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDPREP » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:58 pm

Flip wrote:

I wouldn't think so because assume there was an interception and the offense knew there was an illegal block on the return. The offense would be incentivized to commit a penalty during the return to replay the down. That being said I don't know the ruling.

After possession had changed I would THINK the defense should retain possession, offsetting penalties from where they occurred, 1st down. Suppose the change in possession changes that somewhat?
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mailman_25 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:04 pm

As soon as the ball was intercepted, possession changed. Any fouls committed after would not give the ball back to the team that threw the interception. I believe the refs would walk off the block in the back first followed by them walking off the personal foul.
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:20 pm

Flip wrote:

That was my thought, too. If they offset and you replayed the down it would incentivize teams that lose the ball to commit a penalty with the chance of getting the ball back.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:22 pm

Mailman_25 wrote:As soon as the ball was intercepted, possession changed. Any fouls committed after would not give the ball back to the team that threw the interception. I believe the refs would walk off the block in the back first followed by them walking off the personal foul.

That makes sense. Or would there be a situation in which the penalties cancel each other out and the result of the play (touchdown in this case) just stands?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mailman_25 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:36 pm

My best guess is they would go back to the spot of the interception and treat that as the line of scrimmage. Almost like a new play started once the ball was intercepted.
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:53 am

The intercepting team would have to decline the personal foul to keep the ball.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Football