QRF and playoffs

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

QRF and playoffs

Postby woodchuck10 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:12 am

The QRF site has an announcement that they will post schedules and scores because they came to an agreement with the HSAA. Wonder what they were paid and its pretty ridiculous that nothing has been posted yet. If they can't post the QRF on a weekly basis after week 4 or something then the HSAA should look elsewhere or come up with their own point system.

I know that under rare circumstances it will be used in Class B playoffs, but in Class A & AA it will seed the 8 qualifiers 1-8 so you'd think they'd like to know where they stand getting to the end of the season.

Also what are they going to do about Davies when they go 7-2 and miss the playoffs? You'd think in AA for example it could be top 2 in east and top 3 in west with 3 wild card teams to make an 8 team playoff since they're already using the QRF.

http://northdakota-scores.net/

I kind of like the QRF btw. It's a nice measuring stick but needs to be posted consistently.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: QRF and playoffs

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:30 am

Now that they have their Minnesota site up and running they now have the time to help with football. I've heard things were a bit chaotic on their end this fall...right now it's basically one person doing it all so it's a tall task and the ND site NEVER made $$ because very few people actually visited it.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BelfieldBantams » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:24 am

The qrf formula needs some work in my opinion. In 11 man class b explain to me why beulah was ahead of Cass kindred Langdon and bowman.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:53 pm

BelfieldBantams wrote:The qrf formula needs some work in my opinion. In 11 man class b explain to me why beulah was ahead of Cass kindred Langdon and bowman.

The QRF stopped being updated at end of regular season but It has to do with wins by opponents and an unknown base # for a W or L.

Non region games are key first (out of state games don’t count) then strength of the region is next
Beulah played Oakes (5) & Carrington (4) and won both
Central Cass won both v HCV (8) & Thompson (5)
Bowman won both but they were v Killdeer (2) & out of state team
Langdon won both v Lisbon (5) & WNG (3)
Kindred lost a non-region game, albeit to a good HCV team (8), and beat Grafton (3)

Strength of Region
Beulah - 25 wins* - 6 games
Langdon - 29 wins - 7 games
Bowman - 28 wins - 7 games
C. Cass & Kindred - 27 wins - 7 games

*Key to how Beulah moves ahead is the forfeit W that they got over Heart River…Forfeits do not count in the formula and that’s where they moved ahead.

I do not know what set base # is for wins & losses…but it’s cumulated and then divided by games played (everyone is divided by 9 except Beulah & Bowman who are divided by 8)

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BelfieldBantams » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:46 am

So in other words beulah was moved to second because of a forfeit. While hcv Langdon Cass and kindred all had betters wins or quality losses. The eye test says the formula needs adjusted if this gets used for seeding in any level of playoffs.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:39 pm

BelfieldBantams wrote:So in other words beulah was moved to second because of a forfeit. While hcv Langdon Cass and kindred all had betters wins or quality losses. The eye test says the formula needs adjusted if this gets used for seeding in any level of playoffs.

The forfeit was already in the formula from the moment it occurred (week 3)…they were #1 QRF most of the season

Beulah wasn’t affected by a win over a 0-win team…they actually got the benefit as their cumulative total was divided by less games (my original number was wrong…Beulah’s strength of region was 28-wins for 6 games)

I understand that if a game isn’t played it shouldn’t count…but even if it did…I only think CC would have moved ahead of Beulah…kindred and Langdon would have narrowly been behind Beulah.

2nd to last QRF had CC ahead of Beulah…the final week of the season had CC playing a 1-win OG and Beulah playing a 7-win Bowman; the final QRF proved that a loss to a now 8-win team was better than a win over a 1-win team

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BelfieldBantams » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:27 pm

But HCV, Cass and Kindred all had wins against top 5 wins. Beulah didn't have one. In fact, I don't know who their best win was against and yet they were #2 in the final QRF. That seems odd to me.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:41 pm

BelfieldBantams wrote:But HCV, Cass and Kindred all had wins against top 5 wins. Beulah didn't have one. In fact, I don't know who their best win was against and yet they were #2 in the final QRF. That seems odd to me.

Its all based on Win Totals and Games Played...the forfeit allowed for one less game played and comparing Region 1 with Region 4...the region win total was better. It's all numbers and the difference was not having to take a 0 in their cumulative number for beating a 0 win team. Their number stayed the same and their games played was 8; therefore their number was only divided into by 8 GP...where a majority of others had it divided by 9. Their best win was vs. 7-2 Shiloh Christian.

It'd be clearer if we knew the number factor for winning & losing to a Class 11B team; that much is secret and probably only 2 or 3 people know the full ins-and-outs of the formula...I was only given the basic walk-through from someone else that got that as well.

Edit: After looking closer they probably would have been #7 if that Heart River game counted to their cumulative total...which is more accurate of where they should have been; their QRF benefited by the forfeit...but it was a mute point as they were not the Regions #1 team and the seeding of Region champs was probably pretty accurate in the end; HCV & Kindred were clearly #1 & #2 for the seeding...all other spots in the QRF really didn't matter in the end.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BelfieldBantams » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:58 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
BelfieldBantams wrote:But HCV, Cass and Kindred all had wins against top 5 wins. Beulah didn't have one. In fact, I don't know who their best win was against and yet they were #2 in the final QRF. That seems odd to me.

Its all based on Win Totals and Games Played...the forfeit allowed for one less game played and comparing Region 1 with Region 4...the region win total was better. It's all numbers and the difference was not having to take a 0 in their cumulative number for beating a 0 win team. Their number stayed the same and their games played was 8; therefore their number was only divided into by 8 GP...where a majority of others had it divided by 9. Their best win was vs. 7-2 Shiloh Christian.

It'd be clearer if we knew the number factor for winning & losing to a Class 11B team; that much is secret and probably only 2 or 3 people know the full ins-and-outs of the formula...I was only given the basic walk-through from someone else that got that as well.

Edit: After looking closer they probably would have been #7 if that Heart River game counted to their cumulative total...which is more accurate of where they should have been; their QRF benefited by the forfeit...but it was a mute point as they were not the Regions #1 team and the seeding of Region champs was probably pretty accurate in the end; HCV & Kindred were clearly #1 & #2 for the seeding...all other spots in the QRF really didn't matter in the end.

Oh I know it didn't matter in 11B this year, but in others it does. Wasn't 11A completely decided by QRF, and I'm pretty sure 9 man seeding was also? Beulah staying #2 (I can agree with around #7) makes me question the formula for those also where it did have a say in seeding.

Now saying that I do think that the top 2 teams in each level played for the championship so it was a moot point this year. But doesn't mean that it wouldn't be an issue in the future.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:02 pm

Only 11AA & 11A used the QRF

Coaches voted for seeding of region champs in 11B & 9B

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BelfieldBantams » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:24 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Only 11AA & 11A used the QRF

That's fine, but my point is if a team that should have been #7 actually shows up at #2 by a standard, should that standard be used? I think the formula needs some adjusting.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:41 pm

BelfieldBantams wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:Only 11AA & 11A used the QRF

That's fine, but my point is if a team that should have been #7 actually shows up at #2 by a standard, should that standard be used? I think the formula needs some adjusting.

I don't disagree...the state chose to go with the MN used formula and I'm not sure that the state truly knows the ins-and-outs of the formula.

I just tried my best to explain, from my understanding, on how that ended up working out for Beulah; forfeits need to be entered differently...especially with such a small number of games played...it affects it more than it would in basketball or volleyball where 25+ games are played

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Football