What is wrong with this board

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

What is wrong with this board

Postby heimer » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:17 am

So, I wake up, go to check the talk, and there are zero, ZERO hot takes on this board

There isn't even a new post on the 9-man thread for the days games, with some great story lines.

So, what's the deal? Is this what happens when all the Kool Aid drinkers that kneel before the league office and the 76 state champs and the private school recruiters drive everyone with a different opinion away from the boards?

Well, you got your wish. You have a beautiful world of compliance.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Re: What is wrong with this board

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:42 pm

I believe you are right about half why there is little traffic on this site any more. The other major factors is that people that have wanted change are largely ignored by activities association because its not in Association best interest economically or because of the politics of large schools in both class A and B. The people who had passion wanted to make improvements have seen that their opinions are just ignored buried in politics where it never comes up for vote or no plan is acceptable. So what we have is declining interest in high school activities. People just don't care that much anymore and it also reflecting in participation by our students. This decline interest is represented by number coops that have formed in last 20 years where they needed numbers to compete because sports now is full time commitment if you participate. Example look at number coops needed to just have 9 man or even bottom 11 man teams. If activities association was interested in keeping up individual programs and keeping competition between traditional rivalries we would have had promotion of 6 man football but we have seen nothing of the sort if anything they hope it dies on the vine. But look at neighboring states we see where they are trying to keep as many schools fielding their own programs. What were heading for here in this state where many of schools on paper offer activities but just don't have participants or very few if any. With this type of system you just don't get the passion from parents, fans and community and you end with what we have now. I have seen this develop over my lifetime because we saw this with the class A schools of when we lost smaller class A schools there was very little interest by fans and community. Now we have just about completed it with the class b schools where if you are small school to participate in state tournament is just about miracle. But TV loves this because large schools are where advertisers and they believe they can get largest viewing audience. This sounds pretty negative but you have to admit that passion and following of high school sports has dropped dramatically in North Dakota over last 20 years and what i believe above things is why it has happened. I see it in myself when we had all these local rivalries you were much more interested in what was happening now schools that make up our coop were playing teams 150 miles or more my interest is not great and sure not interested going seeing a game if i have to drive 300 miles in night. I think the people in charge of activities association never realize this sitting in their offices because class A has been doing this for last 40 years unless now where you see that passion in Fargo with the 5 schools in the city competing against each other and same thing out west with Bismarck.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:41 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:I believe you are right about half why there is little traffic on this site any more. The other major factors is that people that have wanted change are largely ignored by activities association because its not in Association best interest economically or because of the politics of large schools in both class A and B. The people who had passion wanted to make improvements have seen that their opinions are just ignored buried in politics where it never comes up for vote or no plan is acceptable. So what we have is declining interest in high school activities. People just don't care that much anymore and it also reflecting in participation by our students. This decline interest is represented by number coops that have formed in last 20 years where they needed numbers to compete because sports now is full time commitment if you participate. Example look at number coops needed to just have 9 man or even bottom 11 man teams. If activities association was interested in keeping up individual programs and keeping competition between traditional rivalries we would have had promotion of 6 man football but we have seen nothing of the sort if anything they hope it dies on the vine. But look at neighboring states we see where they are trying to keep as many schools fielding their own programs. What were heading for here in this state where many of schools on paper offer activities but just don't have participants or very few if any. With this type of system you just don't get the passion from parents, fans and community and you end with what we have now. I have seen this develop over my lifetime because we saw this with the class A schools of when we lost smaller class A schools there was very little interest by fans and community. Now we have just about completed it with the class b schools where if you are small school to participate in state tournament is just about miracle. But TV loves this because large schools are where advertisers and they believe they can get largest viewing audience. This sounds pretty negative but you have to admit that passion and following of high school sports has dropped dramatically in North Dakota over last 20 years and what i believe above things is why it has happened. I see it in myself when we had all these local rivalries you were much more interested in what was happening now schools that make up our coop were playing teams 150 miles or more my interest is not great and sure not interested going seeing a game if i have to drive 300 miles in night. I think the people in charge of activities association never realize this sitting in their offices because class A has been doing this for last 40 years unless now where you see that passion in Fargo with the 5 schools in the city competing against each other and same thing out west with Bismarck.

I could not agree more! I honestly believe that if they (the NDHSAA) actually went to a 3 class system for BB and VB you would see an increase in interest and participation in those sports. Small Class B schools struggle to compete with large Class B schools and small Class A schools struggle to compete with large Class A schools. I think the lower two classes would have great State Tournaments with large attendance at both. Class A State Tournaments are what they are with basically the same schools in them year after year. I also firmly believe that any school without defined District boundaries should be competing in the highest class.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ND Sports Fan » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:05 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
B-oldtimer wrote:I believe you are right about half why there is little traffic on this site any more. The other major factors is that people that have wanted change are largely ignored by activities association because its not in Association best interest economically or because of the politics of large schools in both class A and B. The people who had passion wanted to make improvements have seen that their opinions are just ignored buried in politics where it never comes up for vote or no plan is acceptable. So what we have is declining interest in high school activities. People just don't care that much anymore and it also reflecting in participation by our students. This decline interest is represented by number coops that have formed in last 20 years where they needed numbers to compete because sports now is full time commitment if you participate. Example look at number coops needed to just have 9 man or even bottom 11 man teams. If activities association was interested in keeping up individual programs and keeping competition between traditional rivalries we would have had promotion of 6 man football but we have seen nothing of the sort if anything they hope it dies on the vine. But look at neighboring states we see where they are trying to keep as many schools fielding their own programs. What were heading for here in this state where many of schools on paper offer activities but just don't have participants or very few if any. With this type of system you just don't get the passion from parents, fans and community and you end with what we have now. I have seen this develop over my lifetime because we saw this with the class A schools of when we lost smaller class A schools there was very little interest by fans and community. Now we have just about completed it with the class b schools where if you are small school to participate in state tournament is just about miracle. But TV loves this because large schools are where advertisers and they believe they can get largest viewing audience. This sounds pretty negative but you have to admit that passion and following of high school sports has dropped dramatically in North Dakota over last 20 years and what i believe above things is why it has happened. I see it in myself when we had all these local rivalries you were much more interested in what was happening now schools that make up our coop were playing teams 150 miles or more my interest is not great and sure not interested going seeing a game if i have to drive 300 miles in night. I think the people in charge of activities association never realize this sitting in their offices because class A has been doing this for last 40 years unless now where you see that passion in Fargo with the 5 schools in the city competing against each other and same thing out west with Bismarck.

I could not agree more! I honestly believe that if they (the NDHSAA) actually went to a 3 class system for BB and VB you would see an increase in interest and participation in those sports. Small Class B schools struggle to compete with large Class B schools and small Class A schools struggle to compete with large Class A schools. I think the lower two classes would have great State Tournaments with large attendance at both. Class A State Tournaments are what they are with basically the same schools in them year after year. I also firmly believe that any school without defined District boundaries should be competing in the highest class.

I believe you will see this exact thing next year in football. There still may be some disparity in the Class B 11-man field due to school size, but, it will eliminate the Class B schools playing the Class A schools. The Class A schools will compete by size. I believe this is a GREAT change.
ND Sports Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:01 am

Too Many Coop's in sports today. I understand why they do it and I agree with them. It just does not make for great rivalry games. Everybody needs to win state every year. Look at Powers Lake a few years ago. They had not made it to state in forever... but when they did it was great for the whole town. Now you have 6 schools getting together, and making one team of 5 BBall players... it is hard for those communities to get behind those kids. It also eliminates to many kids from playing sports. Yes you have better teams that will win but to many kids sitting at home.
Also really how many of the big B's are in the state tournament almost every year? Yes I agree that the privates are sending team every year but I believe that should have their own league anyway.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:10 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Too Many Coop's in sports today. I understand why they do it and I agree with them. It just does not make for great rivalry games. Everybody needs to win state every year. Look at Powers Lake a few years ago. They had not made it to state in forever... but when they did it was great for the whole town. Now you have 6 schools getting together, and making one team of 5 BBall players... it is hard for those communities to get behind those kids. It also eliminates to many kids from playing sports. Yes you have better teams that will win but to many kids sitting at home.
Also really how many of the big B's are in the state tournament almost every year? Yes I agree that the privates are sending team every year but I believe that should have their own league anyway.

Good post. This is also a great argument for a 3 class system for VB and BB. Class B is starting to become the same as Class A with pretty much the same teams in the State Tournament every year. Unfortunately as long as the big schools are happy the NDHSAA won't change a thing.
As for private schools - IMO any school without a defined District boundary should be playing in the highest division.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:12 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Too Many Coop's in sports today. I understand why they do it and I agree with them. It just does not make for great rivalry games. Everybody needs to win state every year. Look at Powers Lake a few years ago. They had not made it to state in forever... but when they did it was great for the whole town. Now you have 6 schools getting together, and making one team of 5 BBall players... it is hard for those communities to get behind those kids. It also eliminates to many kids from playing sports. Yes you have better teams that will win but to many kids sitting at home.

Good post. This is also a great argument for a 3 class system for VB and BB. Class B is starting to become the same as Class A with pretty much the same teams in the State Tournament every year. Unfortunately as long as the big schools are happy the NDHSAA won't change a thing.
As for private schools - IMO any school without a defined District boundary should be playing in the highest division.

Yep...you’ve made that clear above already. I don’t deny the advantages they have...but don’t see a change until a 3rd class is added
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:11 am

You would effectively eliminate the FB programs at all the private schools, not name St. Marys or Shanley. They would be forced to coop.

What states do that? I know MN and SD don't.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby 5-time state chump » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:11 pm

heimer wrote:So, I wake up, go to check the talk, and there are zero, ZERO hot takes on this board

There isn't even a new post on the 9-man thread for the days games, with some great story lines.

So, what's the deal? Is this what happens when all the Kool Aid drinkers that kneel before the league office and the 76 state champs and the private school recruiters drive everyone with a different opinion away from the boards?

Well, you got your wish. You have a beautiful world of compliance.

its a few things.

1. Other social media is taking away from message boards/forums.
2. one moderator left and he posted a lot of the topics. If someone posts noteworthy topics, it will help traffic.
3. See #1.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Football