2020 season and COVID-19

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2020 season and COVID-19

Postby Sleepy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:01 pm

Flip wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:I hate to say it, but I think sports are what will close our schools down again and force them into distance learning. When someone from one team tests positive after playing another team a few days earlier, etc.... I really, really, really hope I'm wrong on this one.

I agree and I think the main cause will be football. I just don't think it is safe right now.

random rant: lose and loose are not the same word.

I completely disagree with that statement. I believe playing football is a lot safer for the boys than not playing football. Do you realize what happened last spring when sports were cancelled - parties, lots of parties and MIPs. I did not hear of any deaths or serious accidents, but I believe that risk is way higher than any health risks from COVID by playing football. Also when kids are drinking at a party do you think there will be any inkling of precautions against COVID?
Sleepy
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDPREP » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:52 pm

If you honestly believe that those things don't happen while sports are going on I have a bridge to sell you, regardless kids are doing and making those decisions. Sports just fill some of their time, maybe parents should be parents without having to rely on the school to baby sit and take up their kids time?
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:36 am

NDPREP wrote:If you honestly believe that those things don't happen while sports are going on I have a bridge to sell you, regardless kids are doing and making those decisions. Sports just fill some of their time, maybe parents should be parents without having to rely on the school to baby sit and take up their kids time?

Spot on. I will stand by my statement that if schools are forced to go to distance learning it will be because of sports. When these teams start traveling to other towns and coming into contact with a large number of people and then coming back home it will create the biggest chance of spreading Covid. I truly hope I am wrong and we get thru the fall sports season without any problems, but I doubt that will happen.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sleepy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:17 pm

NDPREP wrote:If you honestly believe that those things don't happen while sports are going on I have a bridge to sell you, regardless kids are doing and making those decisions. Sports just fill some of their time, maybe parents should be parents without having to rely on the school to baby sit and take up their kids time?

1) I never said that I believe there are no issues during a season. I do however believe the 6 week suspension is a deterrent for many of the kids. Sure, some kids are going to do it regardless, but I believe that % goes up significantly with no sports as I saw in locally last spring (not my kids). There is probably quite a difference between schools/town also. The towns that take sports very serious with kids that put in a lot of extra work for sports are likely to see less training violations.

2) Just looking at a different twist to the traveling and coming into contact with more people. Most families do a lot of this in the summer when they travel for vacation, entertainment and to visit relatives and friends. Usually when school and sports start that type of travel comes to an end and is replaced by traveling to sporting events. Fall sports may be more travel and contact for some people, but for others it might be less than what they did in the summer. Hopefully most parents will be very careful themselves to reduce the chance that they catch COVID and spread it to their child.
Sleepy
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic man » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:28 pm

I actually think quite the opposite will happen.

When school starts back, regular students will cause things to rise..

Practices have been going for 2 weeks, and we haven't heard much of anything about covid related cases. I think that might change when school starts up and it won't be because of sports.

Sportsrube wrote:I hate to say it, but I think sports are what will close our schools down again and force them into distance learning. When someone from one team tests positive after playing another team a few days earlier, etc.... I really, really, really hope I'm wrong on this one.

We have families who say they are going to chose to keep their kids home and do distance learning due to the risk of getting Covid-19, but they are going to have their kids participate in sports this fall - someone explain that one to me.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDPREP » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:18 pm

Valley City first team to cancel due to Covid?

Jody Norstedt
@NorstedtMidcoSN
Valley City AD Michael Schultz tells me Valley City's season opener at Beulah has been canceled. The Hi-Liners varsity football team is in quarantine after learning of one player who tested positive for COVID-19. Schultz is optimistic the team will play Sept. 4th vs St. Mary's.

Has any schools who opened virtual or fully back tracked and went full online or virtual yet? Heard some rumblings from out far west but nothing for sure
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:25 pm

NDPREP wrote:Valley City first team to cancel due to Covid?

Jody Norstedt
@NorstedtMidcoSN
Valley City AD Michael Schultz tells me Valley City's season opener at Beulah has been canceled. The Hi-Liners varsity football team is in quarantine after learning of one player who tested positive for COVID-19. Schultz is optimistic the team will play Sept. 4th vs St. Mary's.

Has any schools who opened virtual or fully back tracked and went full online or virtual yet? Heard some rumblings from out far west but nothing for sure

Other schools (that I've heard of) have had quarantined situations as precautions to possible close contact.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby JackofDiamonds » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:26 am

I may have missed the answer to my question somewhere but seeing more "No Contests due to Covid" I was wondering that if the two teams do not make up the game that was ruled a no contest how will the state handle the standings at the end of the year as far as qualifying for playoffs? Or are they required to make up their games. Could be some bubble teams that are in/out at the end of the year due to this not?
JackofDiamonds
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Attack the Process » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:48 pm

JackofDiamonds wrote:I may have missed the answer to my question somewhere but seeing more "No Contests due to Covid" I was wondering that if the two teams do not make up the game that was ruled a no contest how will the state handle the standings at the end of the year as far as qualifying for playoffs? Or are they required to make up their games. Could be some bubble teams that are in/out at the end of the year due to this not?

It was left up to each region how they will determine playoff teams. That is only if all games are not completed.
Attack the Process
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDPREP » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:48 am

So running total of teams that have had games cancelled/postponed?

Turtle Mtn (season)
Valley City
Hazen
Williston
Kindred

Dickinson's head coach (close contact) which I will guess he won't test if he does he wipes out his staff probably
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby birthday » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:53 am

NGS
Linton-hmb-strasburg-zeeland
birthday
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:27 am

NDPREP wrote:So running total of teams that have had games cancelled/postponed?

Turtle Mtn (season)
Valley City
Hazen
Williston
Kindred

Dickinson's head coach (close contact) which I will guess he won't test if he does he wipes out his staff probably

Trenton (I don’t think they’ve started in-person schooling yet)
New Town (Season I believe)

LOTS of Volleyball matches being rescheduled lately...state-wide (Trenton, South Prairie & Drayton/V-E to start and now several others this week.)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby NDPREP » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:56 pm

The VB ones are harder to pin down they are more discreet but everyone hears about the Friday game being moved or rescheduled...
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sleepy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:08 pm

It is interesting how the Big Ten started football, and now Minnesota high school league has added football and volleyball for the fall. Did they realize that it is working pretty well for everyone else playing, and that they look dumb to be sitting out?
Sleepy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:35 pm

Sleepy wrote:It is interesting how the Big Ten started football, and now Minnesota high school league has added football and volleyball for the fall. Did they realize that it is working pretty well for everyone else playing, and that they look dumb to be sitting out?

Is ND football going that well? Feel like it is going OK. It will not get better than it has been either. What happens when you get to the playoffs and a team has to quarantine for 14 days?

I'm curious, how is it going in SD or other states with FB and sports in general.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:01 pm

Flip wrote:
Sleepy wrote:It is interesting how the Big Ten started football, and now Minnesota high school league has added football and volleyball for the fall. Did they realize that it is working pretty well for everyone else playing, and that they look dumb to be sitting out?

Is ND football going that well? Feel like it is going OK. It will not get better than it has been either. What happens when you get to the playoffs and a team has to quarantine for 14 days?

I'm curious, how is it going in SD or other states with FB and sports in general.

Sounds like Langdon, Shanley, Heart River & New Rockford-Sheyenne are new additions to the FB 2-week quarantine list
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Region2FootballFan » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:04 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Sounds like Langdon, Shanley, Heart River & New Rockford-Sheyenne are new additions to the FB 2-week quarantine list

Langdon’s Varsity football is still a go. Jv and Jr High football are in quarantine.
Region2FootballFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:29 am

Region2FootballFan wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:Sounds like Langdon, Shanley, Heart River & New Rockford-Sheyenne are new additions to the FB 2-week quarantine list

Langdon’s Varsity football is still a go. Jv and Jr High football are in quarantine.

Ok...thought I read somewhere they were moving online but guess not.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sleepy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:57 am

Flip wrote:

Well I guess whether football is going pretty well, or just going OK is debatable. Maybe going OK is accurate. The context of the discussion was comparing to Minnesota who wasn't playing at all. And if you compare it to statements on this site like "football shouldn't be played this fall", then I would say it is going pretty well. How many teams have played all their games, maybe 95%? That is a lot of games played vs "football shouldn't be played this fall" would be zero games played.

In looking at the entire high school sports season, I think we had to play football and volleyball this fall. Volleyball is low risk and football is outside. Winter sports will be more difficult so it is good to have the possibility of moving winter sports to the spring. Had fall sports been moved to the spring, then that option is gone for winter sports.
Sleepy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:09 pm

I have rescheduled 60+ matches and games so far this fall...Statewide and most have occurred in the past week or so...this will continue. It'll be interesting to see where we are at when VB & FB postseasons begin.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:14 pm

Sleepy wrote:Well I guess whether football is going pretty well, or just going OK is debatable. Maybe going OK is accurate. The context of the discussion was comparing to Minnesota who wasn't playing at all. And if you compare it to statements on this site like "football shouldn't be played this fall", then I would say it is going pretty well. How many teams have played all their games, maybe 95%? That is a lot of games played vs "football shouldn't be played this fall" would be zero games played.

I guess I was looking at the health aspect of playing football. How many people will end up getting sick, hospitalized, or even worse because we played football?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:16 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:I have rescheduled 60+ matches and games so far this fall...Statewide and most have occurred in the past week or so...this will continue. It'll be interesting to see where we are at when VB & FB postseasons begin.

Right now, this is the best the situation will be all school year. It will only get worse. It will not get better.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:38 pm

Flip wrote:
Sleepy wrote:Well I guess whether football is going pretty well, or just going OK is debatable. Maybe going OK is accurate. The context of the discussion was comparing to Minnesota who wasn't playing at all. And if you compare it to statements on this site like "football shouldn't be played this fall", then I would say it is going pretty well. How many teams have played all their games, maybe 95%? That is a lot of games played vs "football shouldn't be played this fall" would be zero games played.

I guess I was looking at the health aspect of playing football. How many people will end up getting sick, hospitalized, or even worse because we played football?

So far I haven't heard much for students being hospitalized because of contracting it during sports...just teams/schools quarantining those in contact with them. However, we've been very fortunate so far in our area...I don't know much other than the numbers we get daily; for the rest of the State (under HIPAA law we don't really know anyways for schools).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:42 pm

Most likely very few students will be hospitalized, but those students that get it can spread it to other students or older populations. It will be impossible to know the true impact of playing football or sports in general.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sleepy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:07 pm

Flip wrote:Most likely very few students will be hospitalized, but those students that get it can spread it to other students or older populations. It will be impossible to know the true impact of playing football or sports in general.

Total hospitalized since start of COVID is 3 kids age 10-19. That is total, not active. I think the impact of sports will be very low. But if you fear it then don't let your kids play sports and don't attend any sporting events.

What I see in rural areas is even though numbers are increasing, people seem to care less as time goes on because the people they know that have had it had minimal if any symptoms.
Sleepy
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Football