2020 season and COVID-19

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2020 season and COVID-19

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:06 pm

Someone said something in a basketball thread that got me thinking. It is obvious this could take away fall sports or maybe even winter sports next year. But lets say there is a fall season. I could see smaller football programs struggling to kids out. There are already a number of parents that don't their kids to play because of concussions or other injuries, now throw this into the mix. I have too much free time to think of things now.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Re: 2020 season and COVID-19

Postby packers21 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:28 pm

Flip wrote:Someone said something in a basketball thread that got me thinking. It is obvious this could take away fall sports or maybe even winter sports next year. But lets say there is a fall season. I could see smaller football programs struggling to kids out. There are already a number of parents that don't their kids to play because of concussions or other injuries, now throw this into the mix. I have too much free time to think of things now.

It is my belief football will be the next sport played in ND. I could see it from the other side as well, everyone is tired of being locked up and more kids come out for fall sports.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:53 pm

Im thinking they will bb in may, why not
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDPREP » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:31 am

Personally I see them playing the B in late May and no Spring sports as the most realistic thing. BUT more and more sounds like other states are planning to delay fall sports so who knows at this point?
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PizzaRoll » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:16 pm

There will not be any spring sports, summer sports, and don't be surprised if it's a shortened FB season. This isn't suppose to peak till June or July.
PizzaRoll
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDPREP » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:18 am

Agreed wishful hypothetical reasoning, some friends in the lower echelon of college coaching, Juco, D3, have mentioned their athletic departments and conferences already discussing the real possibilities of delayed start to fall seasons.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:00 pm

NDPREP wrote:Agreed wishful hypothetical reasoning, some friends in the lower echelon of college coaching, Juco, D3, have mentioned their athletic departments and conferences already discussing the real possibilities of delayed start to fall seasons.

If you're talking about having a "delayed start" in the fall you have to at least entertain the idea that there won't be a season. Nothing will be "normal" until there is a vaccine IMO.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:40 pm

Barring a vaccine I got to believe were not going to have normal activities until we get cure or most of the population has had covid 19 which I believe is going to take a year. I could see by next winter where we might have basketball but I am getting to think the fall sports may be out. Some exceptions of course I could see is cross country where it spread out over large area and is not real big spectator sport. How are we going to get to where we have physical contact which could spread the virus and having large crowds or spectators grouped together in few short months. This pandemic is going to have such a big effect on sports it may take years to recover from it.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:18 pm

if you're only worried about spectators there is a really easy fix to that: no spectators.

It will be interesting to see how other countries handle getting back to "normal" life. I think Korea plans on starting baseball soon and China wants to start their biggest pro basketball league in May.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:53 pm

I saw since NCAA athletes were allowed to return for voluntary workouts 8 Alabama FB players have tested positive.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:37 pm

I saw MCAC (junior colleges in MN) canceled fall sports.

What do you think of moving spring sports like track, baseball, softball, golf to the fall, and moving VB and football to the spring?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDPREP » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:13 am

It is setting up again like March where college basketball is cancelled, the IVY League is meeting this week to discuss moving ALL sports to the spring and they are what kicked off the cancellations last spring. Patriot to follow their decision most likely. The dominoes are beginning to fall it appears.

As to us I havent seen or heard anything from the state which feels like a bad sign. No guidance on if a kid gets covid, or appears sick, or what happens if more than one kid on a team gets it? NDHSAA needs to get it going, unless they again are sitting on their hands waiting to be told what to do from the state and ND-DPI...?
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:37 am

NDPREP wrote:As to us I havent seen or heard anything from the state which feels like a bad sign. No guidance on if a kid gets covid, or appears sick, or what happens if more than one kid on a team gets it? NDHSAA needs to get it going, unless they again are sitting on their hands waiting to be told what to do from the state and ND-DPI...?

I'm sure they're still waiting to hear from the state and DPI. NDHSAA has said sports will depend on if we're allowed to go back to school. Hopefully, they are getting everything ready behind the scenes so we are ready to go if given the thumbs up.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDPREP » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:00 pm

Saw this posted by New Salem online:

New Salem-Almont Public Schools
17 mins · Shared with Public

Update on the Re-Start of School:
Many of you are wondering what school will look like in August and so am I. The meeting that was held today with DPI gave very little information about what “re-opening” schools will look like come August. All schools are waiting for the Governor regarding guidelines schools must follow when school resumes. D.P.I and school leaders gave guidance earlier to the Governor’s team but we were told today that he will make the final decision sometime between mid-July to the end of July.

My preliminary thoughts are each school will have to submit a plan that will deal with the different risk levels of coronavirus. My thought today is that we will start school on time and in school with students (fingers crossed). Obviously an emphasis on cleaning and washing hands will be a priority. I will keep everyone informed but as you can see from this short snippet, educational leaders know very little on what the Governor is thinking.

As far as sports this fall, the NDHSAA is waiting for the Governor to make his recommendation about re-opening school before it submits it's plan for competition. Once I have something more concrete to report regarding school and sports, I will pass that along.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:09 pm

NDPREP wrote:Saw this posted by New Salem online:

New Salem-Almont Public Schools
17 mins · Shared with Public

Update on the Re-Start of School:
Many of you are wondering what school will look like in August and so am I. The meeting that was held today with DPI gave very little information about what “re-opening” schools will look like come August. All schools are waiting for the Governor regarding guidelines schools must follow when school resumes. D.P.I and school leaders gave guidance earlier to the Governor’s team but we were told today that he will make the final decision sometime between mid-July to the end of July.

My preliminary thoughts are each school will have to submit a plan that will deal with the different risk levels of coronavirus. My thought today is that we will start school on time and in school with students (fingers crossed). Obviously an emphasis on cleaning and washing hands will be a priority. I will keep everyone informed but as you can see from this short snippet, educational leaders know very little on what the Governor is thinking.

As far as sports this fall, the NDHSAA is waiting for the Governor to make his recommendation about re-opening school before it submits it's plan for competition. Once I have something more concrete to report regarding school and sports, I will pass that along.

I saw something similar on two other school's social media accounts today as well. As I figured, we will know more as the month of July comes to an end.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby EEDA » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:01 pm

COVID-19 numbers increasing since opening things up .... students in the classroom... fall sports in North Dakota ... tough call !
EEDA
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:48 pm

EEDA wrote:COVID-19 numbers increasing since opening things up .... students in the classroom... fall sports in North Dakota ... tough call !

the positive case rate is increasing, but still much lower than the rest of the country. I'm not sure why things will get better in ND.

Big 10 cancelled all non-conference games. New Mexico moved HS football to the spring. Today is the most pessimistic I've been about having HS sports this upcoming year.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ballaholic#3 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:58 pm

Covid aside, I’ve always strongly felt that ND should switch the spring and fall seasons around regardless because of climate. Perhaps that’s the solution this year. Summer baseball has been relatively successful so far, but I understand the fear of The NDHSAA as you have seen a couple kids that play baseball test positive in Walsh County.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:52 pm

I think my earlier prediction is that there will be very few sports if any that will be played for the rest of the year is going to happen. I think Football is probably not going to get played this year the risk and liability is going to be to high for schools and activities association to accept. Volleyball again will be tough call and how do handle the spectators because of risk to kids, coaches, and infecting schools with virus by allowing more people into the schools. I could see where they could have cross country, Golf, and baseball if wanted to move the sport to the fall as well as track and field if limited by number schools participating at given track meats.. These sports outside and more social distancing by nature of the sport make it possible to have these sports be able to be run. The big questions is how much liability schools and the state are willing to take. We need to get back to some normal functions especially for kids but this may be limited to just having school. I think everyone is hoping some solution pops up and that is why everyone is just sitting waiting this thing out.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:44 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:I think my earlier prediction is that there will be very few sports if any that will be played for the rest of the year is going to happen. I think Football is probably not going to get played this year the risk and liability is going to be to high for schools and activities association to accept. Volleyball again will be tough call and how do handle the spectators because of risk to kids, coaches, and infecting schools with virus by allowing more people into the schools. I could see where they could have cross country, Golf, and baseball if wanted to move the sport to the fall as well as track and field if limited by number schools participating at given track meats.. These sports outside and more social distancing by nature of the sport make it possible to have these sports be able to be run. The big questions is how much liability schools and the state are willing to take. We need to get back to some normal functions especially for kids but this may be limited to just having school. I think everyone is hoping some solution pops up and that is why everyone is just sitting waiting this thing out.

You can’t have track & XC in the same season but the NDHSAA will likely go with all sports or none instead of certain sports (could have done golf in the spring but went with all sports) The first key to sports will be if school is in session like normal.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby B-oldtimer » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:02 pm

I know there are rules for what can be for different sports but were not in normal times here. People in charge here are going to have to think outside the box if were going to have any sports. I believe for the remainder of this year and starting next year in 2021 if schools are in session sports that can be played with least amount of risk to kids and can be managed to keep schools in session is the best we can hope. If schools are in session you need activities for these kids to get some balance between education and physical activities to help them through this difficult time. Hopefully we get vaccine to fight this early next year and we can get back to having regular seasons in sports but until then we need adapt to what were facing now. If you go with all sports or none were very likely looking where the kids now could miss out entirely again with no sports season. This going to have major effect on these kids and I think this is going to have long term effects down the road on development of these kids.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:53 am

B-oldtimer wrote:I know there are rules for what can be for different sports but were not in normal times here. People in charge here are going to have to think outside the box if were going to have any sports. I believe for the remainder of this year and starting next year in 2021 if schools are in session sports that can be played with least amount of risk to kids and can be managed to keep schools in session is the best we can hope. If schools are in session you need activities for these kids to get some balance between education and physical activities to help them through this difficult time. Hopefully we get vaccine to fight this early next year and we can get back to having regular seasons in sports but until then we need adapt to what were facing now. If you go with all sports or none were very likely looking where the kids now could miss out entirely again with no sports season. This going to have major effect on these kids and I think this is going to have long term effects down the road on development of these kids.

A Kid can kick back into gear way faster than one thinks...its not like they are coming off an injury and rehabilitating, the development thing will only matter to the ones who do nothing during time off, which is normal for some, even in the times of everything is on track...there are summer leagues playing....and school will take place whether its in a classroom or from home...so thats School...sports will follow with regulations....as the Country turned loose, the Virus is spreading like wild fire....in 2 months it could be vastly diminished...........
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:22 pm

PLAY BALL!!!!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDPREP » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:26 pm

Rumors from the grapevine is there is a return to play committee meeting this week, some people were talking no fans and they were preparing web casts for all schools, limiting how far you could travel for away games which may change schedules. All rumors though seems pretty tight lipped.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:39 pm

NDPREP wrote:Rumors from the grapevine is there is a return to play committee meeting this week, some people were talking no fans and they were preparing web casts for all schools, limiting how far you could travel for away games which may change schedules. All rumors though seems pretty tight lipped.

Just football or other sports too?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Football