2021 Football Plan

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2021 Football Plan

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:44 am

Interestingly enough...this year doesn't look like this is a 2-year plan because of the addition of dissolving coops & creation of new coops and a new A school next year.

E/MV & FSHP will be dissolving; MPCG/FS and MV/HP will be created (Enderlin alone); WF Horace joining in Varsity sports next year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ingle=true
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:38 pm

how does MPCG get to "opt down?"
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:07 am

Flip wrote:how does MPCG get to "opt down?"

That's a very good point, I don't have any idea why they were allowed to opt down. They made the playoffs 4 consecutive years in 9-man.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Attack the Process » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:48 am

The Schwab wrote:

That's a very good point, I don't have any idea why they were allowed to opt down. They made the playoffs 4 consecutive years in 9-man.

The reason they are able to opt down is because they haven't made playoffs at the 11B level. I believe this is why Kenmare can't opt down. They made playoffs the previous two years before their short stint in 9man this year.
Attack the Process
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:59 am

Attack the Process wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

The reason they are able to opt down is because they haven't made playoffs at the 11B level. I believe this is why Kenmare can't opt down. They made playoffs the previous two years before their short stint in 9man this year.

It's also likely that F-S isn't really contributing much to the new coop...that's part of the reason why H-P wanted out is because it wasn't much of a coop lately; MPCG would be 9-man level without the emergency add of F-S

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:16 am

WalkingStick wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

It's also likely that F-S isn't really contributing much to the new coop...that's part of the reason why H-P wanted out is because it wasn't much of a coop lately; MPCG would be 9-man level without the emergency add of F-S

FS is with HP for football this year...
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:44 am

Mayville Population - 1,802
Portland - 595
Clifford - 43
Galesburg - 102
Finley - 416
Sharon - 90

Total Population - 3,048 (very close in population to Beulah 3,139 or Rugby 2,590)

3,048 is not what you would expect from a 9 man school.

These #'s gathered are from the 2020 census. I know this whole thing goes by student "enrollment," but some basic common sense also needs to go into this. I watched a MPCG game this year and they had a lot of kids on the sidelines.

I have no problem with Mayville being in 9 man, but when you add all of these other schools it starts to look ridiculous. The other towns could make their own 9 man team and call it Trail County.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:59 am

UNDSiouxfan wrote:Mayville Population - 1,802
Portland - 595
Clifford - 43
Galesburg - 102
Finley - 416
Sharon - 90

Total Population - 3,048 (very close in population to Beulah 3,139 or Rugby 2,590)

3,048 is not what you would expect from a 9 man school.

These #'s gathered are from the 2020 census. I know this whole thing goes by student "enrollment," but some basic common sense also needs to go into this. I watched a MPCG game this year and they had a lot of kids on the sidelines.

I have no problem with Mayville being in 9 man, but when you add all of these other schools it starts to look ridiculous. The other towns could make their own 9 man team and call it Trail County.

Except for the fact that it is only 2 schools involved and not 6. Mayville (where I'm assuming everything is held practice and game wise) is on the very east of that area. I'm guessing there are students 45 miles from Mayville. All of that contributes to less kids in a coop. True population of a coop does not compare to a true population of a single town the same size with a single school.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:03 pm

The Schwab wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

FS is with HP for football this year...

They didn't get the dissolve in time this year so yes they are...but they won't be next year and I was explaining why they likely got to 'Opt Down' again.

HP is leaving FS next year in football and joining Maple Valley (already did so in other sports; became Maple River); FS will be with MPCG in all sports next year and I'd assume they already are with them in some this year.

UNDSiouxfan - It's all about school enrollment not city populations...some of those cities the majority of the people are from the older generations and not families with kids.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:54 pm

Yes I'm very aware of the situation between Finley Sharon and Hope Page. I don't have a problem with teams being in 9 man if they have the enrollment that says they should play there. I do have a problem with teams being allowed to opt down in the first year of a plan for "lack of success".
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:02 pm

The Schwab wrote:Yes I'm very aware of the situation between Finley Sharon and Hope Page. I don't have a problem with teams being in 9 man if they have the enrollment that says they should play there. I do have a problem with teams being allowed to opt down in the first year of a plan for "lack of success".

I do agree with this...especially when others aren't given that right to 'opt down' and have to suffer playing teams with 35-45+ kids out when they have 15-20

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:28 pm

It should really come down to... If you have a Street light, Dollar General or if you have more than 3 bars in your town... you should not be playing 9 man... you should be playing 11 A
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby classB4ever » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:48 pm

maddog1971 wrote:It should really come down to... If you have a Street light, Dollar General or if you have more than 3 bars in your town... you should not be playing 9 man... you should be playing 11 A

I hope this statement is made in jest. If not, you really have no idea what is going on in rural ND.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:11 pm

classB4ever wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:It should really come down to... If you have a Street light, Dollar General or if you have more than 3 bars in your town... you should not be playing 9 man... you should be playing 11 A

I hope this statement is made in jest. If not, you really have no idea what is going on in rural ND.

I guess Enderlin is playing 11A next year...

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:42 am

WalkingStick wrote:
classB4ever wrote:

Up north, Lakota, Rolla, North Star, New Rockford, Cooperstown, Larimore and Cavalier all going 11A next year. Should be interesting. /s

Does a Dollar Tree and 2 street lights put you in 11AA? :D
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby ChickenNuggets » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:45 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
classB4ever wrote:

Up north, Lakota, Rolla, North Star, New Rockford, Cooperstown, Larimore and Cavalier all going 11A next year. Should be interesting. /s

Does a Dollar Tree and 2 street lights put you in 11AA? :D

To be in consideration of playing in 11AA you must meet at least two of the following 5 requirements. Also having just one of these should probably make you ineligible for 9-man:
-Your town has a family restaurant that does not close to minors at 10:00pm and become just a bar.
-You have a fast-food chain, most likely a Subway, Dairy Queen, (A restaurant that was formerly a Dairy Queen or Pizza Hut that has now been re-opened under a new name does not count).
-Has a 24-hour Gas Station or Grocery store
-You are a parochial school (This counts as two requirements all by itself)
-Your town has an actual hotel, not just a motel where you park outside your room and have access to your room from the outside of the building.
-You have a College/University in your town.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:57 am

Looking at next years numbers (2022), I feel the plan is pretty decent. Certainly one can argue the opt up/opt down situation (4 schools opting down from 11B to 9 man, though I know two - HN/MPCG already played 9 man this year). Surry with 84 kids and Tioga with 80 are the other two opt downs.

Outliers to me looked to be Horace and St. Mary (169 kids and 175 kids) potentially having to play GF Central - 679 kids). 11B looked to be about spot on in my mind (Central Cass the largest with 158 kids, Bowman County as the smallest with 73 kids). In the 9 man, FW's has the largest enrollment with 128 kids (counted as 62 with the multiplier) , Leeds-Minnewakuan the smallest with 38.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:35 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:Looking at next years numbers (2022), I feel the plan is pretty decent. Certainly one can argue the opt up/opt down situation (4 schools opting down from 11B to 9 man, though I know two - HN/MPCG already played 9 man this year). Surry with 84 kids and Tioga with 80 are the other two opt downs.

Outliers to me looked to be Horace and St. Mary (169 kids and 175 kids) potentially having to play GF Central - 679 kids). 11B looked to be about spot on in my mind (Central Cass the largest with 158 kids, Bowman County as the smallest with 73 kids). In the 9 man, FW's has the largest enrollment with 128 kids (counted as 62 with the multiplier) , Leeds-Minnewakuan the smallest with 38.

Horace is going to drastically grow...in about 2-3 years their number will be 300+

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Football