2021 Football Plan

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2021 Football Plan

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:29 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Anyone hear any rumblings about opt ups and opt downs? Only opt up I really see happening is Velva. Any new 6man teams? Curious to see what Max and Glen Ullin end up doing.

Would Max join South Prairie? Glen Ullin looks to be in a tough spot unless maybe joining up with R-T-H
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:20 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Anyone hear any rumblings about opt ups and opt downs? Only opt up I really see happening is Velva. Any new 6man teams? Curious to see what Max and Glen Ullin end up doing.

Would Max join South Prairie? Glen Ullin looks to be in a tough spot unless maybe joining up with R-T-H

I was wondering if RTH might not split up and Glen Ullin and Hebron join since they already have a coop in other sports.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:33 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

I was wondering if RTH might not split up and Glen Ullin and Hebron join since they already have a coop in other sports.

I thought about that too but didn't know what the numbers situation was when I first responded. That seems most logical to either all 4 towns come together and play 11-man or split the two and play 9-man each.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby caserace0710 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:07 pm

Preliminary regions are out for the 2021-22 plan and this is what the NDHSAA came up with:

^ denotes team opted up
# denotes team opted down

11AA
East: Fargo Davies, ^Fargo Shanley, West Fargo, West Fargo Sheyenne
West: Bismarck, Bismarck Century, Bismarck Legacy, Mandan, Minot, Williston

11A
East: Devils Lake, Fargo North, Fargo South, #Grand Forks Central, #Grand Forks Red River, Valley City, Wahpeton
West: Bismarck St. Mary's, #Dickinson, Jamestown, Turtle Mountain, Watford City

11B (33 teams - three regions of 8 and one region of 9)
Region 1: Central Cass, Ellendale/Edgeley/Kulm, Fargo Oak Grove, Kindred, Linton/HMB/Strasburg/Zeeland, Lisbon, Oakes, Sargent County
Region 2: Carrington, Grafton, Harvey/Wells County, Hillsboro/Central Valley, Langdon/Edmore/Munich, Northern Cass, Park River Area, Thompson
Region 3: Des Lacs-Burlington, Minot Bishop Ryan, Nedrose, New Town, Rugby, South Prairie, Stanley, ^Velva, ^Westhope/Newburg/Glenburn
Region 4: Beulah, Bismarck Shiloh Christian, Bowman County, Dickinson Trinity, Hazen, Heart River, Killdeer, Southern McLean

9B (9-Man) (44 teams - two regions of 6 and six regions of 5)
Region 1: #Enderlin/Maple Valley, Hankinson, LaMoure/Litchville-Marion, Richland, Tri-State, Wyndmere/Lidgerwood
Region 2: Cavalier, Finley-Sharon/Hope-Page, Griggs County Central/Midkota, #Hatton/Northwood, Larimore, #May-Port-CG
Region 3: Benson County, Four Winds, Nelson County, New Rockford-Sheyenne, North Star
Region 4: #Bottineau, Dunseith, North Prairie, St. John, TGU
Region 5: Central McLean, Grant County/Flasher, Kidder County, Napoleon/Gackle-Streeter, South Border
Region 6: Beach, Hettinger/Scranton, Mott-Regent/New England, New Salem, Richardton-Taylor/Hebron
Region 7: Garrison, Lewis & Clark, Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood, Parshall/White Shield, #Surrey
Region 8: Alexander, Divide County, Kenmare/Bowbells/Burke Central, #Ray/Powers Lake, Tioga

Other
6-Man: Center-Stanton, Drake-Anamoose, Drayton, Mandaree, Midway/Minto, North Border, Trenton
South Dakota: Standing Rock
Montana: MonDak
http://northdakotahsfootball.altervista.org
North Dakota High School Football historical information since 1975
caserace0710
NDPreps Starter

Postby woodchuck10 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:37 pm

caserace0710 wrote:9B (9-Man) (44 teams - two regions of 6 and six regions of 5)
Region 1: #Enderlin/Maple Valley, Hankinson, LaMoure/Litchville-Marion, Richland, Tri-State, Wyndmere/Lidgerwood
Region 2: Cavalier, Finley-Sharon/Hope-Page, Griggs County Central/Midkota, #Hatton/Northwood, Larimore, #May-Port-CG
Region 3: Benson County, Four Winds, Nelson County, New Rockford-Sheyenne, North Star
Region 5: Central McLean, Grant County/Flasher, Kidder County, Napoleon/Gackle-Streeter, South Border
Region 6: Beach, Hettinger/Scranton, Mott-Regent/New England, New Salem, Richardton-Taylor/Hebron
Region 7: Garrison, Lewis & Clark, Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood, Parshall/White Shield, #Surrey
Region 8: Alexander, Divide County, Kenmare/Bowbells/Burke Central, #Ray/Powers Lake, Tioga

Would this 8 region plan help the QRF by creating more out of region games? Next question will it be a 16 team playoff(top 2), 24 team playoff (top 3), or using the QRF to decide "wild card teams" to fill out a 24 team bracket
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:11 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:
caserace0710 wrote:9B (9-Man) (44 teams - two regions of 6 and six regions of 5)

Would this 8 region plan help the QRF by creating more out of region games? Next question will it be a 16 team playoff(top 2), 24 team playoff (top 3), or using the QRF to decide "wild card teams" to fill out a 24 team bracket

I think there are more details to come out pertaining to your questions soon. According to the synopsis online on NDHSAA, they are awaiting feedback from schools before determining the playoff format.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ChickenNuggets » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:53 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:

Interesting questions Woodchuck. If the top two teams from each region get into the play-offs I would say that almost all of the regions would be able to put forth two quality teams. Region 3 may be the weakest region based on what those teams have done this year. Regions 1, 4, 5, and 8 probably all have at least 3 or more teams worthy of making this year's play-offs in 9-man football. Some of those teams will likely lose a lot to graduation. Regions 2, 6, and 7 I feel have two solid teams and then a pretty decent drop off.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:45 pm

This new plan is ludicrous it will result in a lot of lopsided football games. Last time these double A teams were down there was no competitive balance (Hillsboro played one game in the regular season within 20 points and it was against Kindred). The argument that they play class b basketball so should be playing football down there is terrible. You are going to see the top 2 or 3 teams in each region run ramshod over the rest of it and then in two years we will adjust it again. The state needs to stop this; it isn't helping any of the existing single A schools. The only benefactors of this system are the AA teams that moved down and the two Grand Forks schools. Sacrificing the good of the many to the whining of the few is a solid plan....not.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:03 am

defensewinsgames wrote:This new plan is ludicrous it will result in a lot of lopsided football games. Last time these double A teams were down there was no competitive balance (Hillsboro played one game in the regular season within 20 points and it was against Kindred). The argument that they play class b basketball so should be playing football down there is terrible. You are going to see the top 2 or 3 teams in each region run ramshod over the rest of it and then in two years we will adjust it again. The state needs to stop this; it isn't helping any of the existing single A schools. The only benefactors of this system are the AA teams that moved down and the two Grand Forks schools. Sacrificing the good of the many to the whining of the few is a solid plan....not.

Could not agree more. It is ridiculous how the NDHSAA bows down to certain schools and doesn't care about sticking it to the smaller ones. I could not agree more that this plan will lead to a large number of complete blowouts which will lead to fewer kids playing FB at the schools who are constantly getting blown out by the bigger schools. I have never understood why the NDHSAA insists on realigning FB every few years.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby B-oldtimer » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:53 pm

How many of these schools in class b 9 man would be better off dropping down to 6 man football and would they have done this if Activities Association would help develop this division by fully supporting it and creating playoff and state title game. I look at least half a dozen schools on the above list would be better dropping down where they would have long term stability and could always field competitive team. I see they have teams back in plan that are playing independent schedules now and i don't see where things have changed that much with these schools. The class11b I just see where you have number of schools that have been playing class AA level coming back to class b 11 man nothing has changed for these schools they have size and numbers to play up class but here again we have I believe the politics of this is that again they want to be dominate school with smaller schools trying to compete with them. I guess if i was doing this i would have number schools playing 6 man and then these smaller class b 11 man schools i would move to 9 man b and this would be the way to most balance the structure. I think the problem is that coaches and administrations look at playing 6 and 9 man is not football they want to play instead of what would be best for the schools and athletes. You here this all the time when people talk about football this is not classic football and of course it will hurt athletes who want to play college football but does it or is it hurt to pride that school is not large enough to support 11 man football. I wonder if kids and parents are going to force changes by their not participating in the future in football.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ChickenNuggets » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:39 am

B-oldtimer wrote:How many of these schools in class b 9 man would be better off dropping down to 6 man football and would they have done this if Activities Association would help develop this division by fully supporting it and creating playoff and state title game. I look at least half a dozen schools on the above list would be better dropping down where they would have long term stability and could always field competitive team. I see they have teams back in plan that are playing independent schedules now and i don't see where things have changed that much with these schools. The class11b I just see where you have number of schools that have been playing class AA level coming back to class b 11 man nothing has changed for these schools they have size and numbers to play up class but here again we have I believe the politics of this is that again they want to be dominate school with smaller schools trying to compete with them. I guess if i was doing this i would have number schools playing 6 man and then these smaller class b 11 man schools i would move to 9 man b and this would be the way to most balance the structure. I think the problem is that coaches and administrations look at playing 6 and 9 man is not football they want to play instead of what would be best for the schools and athletes. You here this all the time when people talk about football this is not classic football and of course it will hurt athletes who want to play college football but does it or is it hurt to pride that school is not large enough to support 11 man football. I wonder if kids and parents are going to force changes by their not participating in the future in football.

I believe that the magic number is 12.... the NDHSAA requires there to be at least 12 schools committed to any activity (In this case, 6-man football) before they will sanction it and organize a play-off/championship.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:51 pm

I think 6 man is fun to watch but I just a 11 man is football to me. I get it if a school has under 30 males but Like Midway Minto they have 50 males in that coop... how are they not fielding a 9 man team.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:56 pm

ChickenNuggets wrote:
B-oldtimer wrote:How many of these schools in class b 9 man would be better off dropping down to 6 man football and would they have done this if Activities Association would help develop this division by fully supporting it and creating playoff and state title game. I look at least half a dozen schools on the above list would be better dropping down where they would have long term stability and could always field competitive team. I see they have teams back in plan that are playing independent schedules now and i don't see where things have changed that much with these schools. The class11b I just see where you have number of schools that have been playing class AA level coming back to class b 11 man nothing has changed for these schools they have size and numbers to play up class but here again we have I believe the politics of this is that again they want to be dominate school with smaller schools trying to compete with them. I guess if i was doing this i would have number schools playing 6 man and then these smaller class b 11 man schools i would move to 9 man b and this would be the way to most balance the structure. I think the problem is that coaches and administrations look at playing 6 and 9 man is not football they want to play instead of what would be best for the schools and athletes. You here this all the time when people talk about football this is not classic football and of course it will hurt athletes who want to play college football but does it or is it hurt to pride that school is not large enough to support 11 man football. I wonder if kids and parents are going to force changes by their not participating in the future in football.

I believe that the magic number is 12.... the NDHSAA requires there to be at least 12 schools committed to any activity (In this case, 6-man football) before they will sanction it and organize a play-off/championship.

There will be 10 in AAA next year. Why can't the NDHSAA sanction 6man with 8 or 10 teams?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby caserace0710 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:59 am

From what I have read, it appears that 9-man will have an eight game regular season and a five-week playoff. The regular season schedule would be as follows:

Regions 1 and 2
Week 1 - any opponent
Week 2 - crossover (Region 1 vs. Region 2)
Week 3 - crossover (Region 1 vs. Region 2)
Week 4 - region game
Week 5 - region game
Week 6 - region game
Week 7 - region game
Week 8 - region game

Regions 3-8
Week 1 - any opponent
Week 2 - crossover (Region 3 vs. Region 4; Region 5 vs. Region 6; Region 7 vs. Region 8)
Week 3 - crossover (Region 3 vs. Region 4; Region 5 vs. Region 6; Region 7 vs. Region 8)
Week 4 - crossover (Region 3 vs. Region 4; Region 5 vs. Region 6; Region 7 vs. Region 8)
Week 5 - region game
Week 6 - region game
Week 7 - region game
Week 8 - region game

https://ndhsaa.com/files/2020_21_Sports ... egions.pdf
http://northdakotahsfootball.altervista.org
North Dakota High School Football historical information since 1975
caserace0710
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:38 pm

What does Hope-Page joining Maple Valley do regarding the 2021 football season?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:02 pm

Thanks. You know how rumors are. Some people have made it sound like it was a done deal.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:54 pm

d_fense wrote:Thanks. You know how rumors are. Some people have made it sound like it was a done deal.

I had also heard it was a done deal or are you just talking football right now?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:00 pm

packers21 wrote:
d_fense wrote:Thanks. You know how rumors are. Some people have made it sound like it was a done deal.

I had also heard it was a done deal or are you just talking football right now?

I'm only curious about football.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Fletcher » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:34 pm

I've got to say, I'm really impressed with Shanley. They opted up to the highest class. Their male enrollment numbers are somewhere between 1/3 (the next lowest) and 1/5 (the highest) of the other schools in that Class. That's taking on a challenge! I sure hope they can stay competitive!
Fletcher
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 5-time state chump » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:42 am

AAA
AA
A
9-man

to....

AA
A
B
9-man

I think renaming it, will make ND Football so much better.

Seriously...I wonder how much time was put into that and the point behind it.

I think next year if they want ND football to be the best ever, they should go with:
A
BB
B
9-Man
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby woodchuck10 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:45 pm

5-time state chump wrote:AAA
AA
A
9-man

to....

AA
A
B
9-man

I think renaming it, will make ND Football so much better.

Seriously...I wonder how much time was put into that and the point behind it.

I think next year if they want ND football to be the best ever, they should go with:
A
BB
B
9-Man

Who can change the forums to 9B, 11B, 11A, and 11AA? Should've been done by now.

I kinda like the B schools and A schools being separated like this. Definitely have my complaints tho.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:49 pm

I tried to do that, but I don't have the capabilities to do so! Sorry!
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sorenson23 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:01 pm

It would let me do that either I tried. The guy that ran the site, I'm not sure if its he is the only one to change them. But again! It won't let me either.
Last edited by Sorenson23 on Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:03 pm

There is only one person who can make that change…I’d suggest messaging the person in charge of the site (blue name)
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:33 am

I'm not 100 percent sure if the opt downs for the first year of the new plan are even legal. This is what the plan says:

Teams may request to opt down to the next lower division if they meet both items a. and b. Below:
a. The team’s Football Enrollment must be within 25% of the median between divisions.
b. The team may not have qualified for the playoffs more than once at the higher division in the previous four seasons. Qualifying for the playoffs in the current season may affect a team’s ability to opt-down in the next season.

The reason I don't think it should have been able to happen is these are new divisions, so teams that opted down into 9-man specifically this year shouldn't have been allowed to because they didn't fail to qualify for the playoffs 3 out of 4 previous years.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football